Is it true that Onkyos aren't too fond of low impendence drive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I have heard a few times that Onkyos aren't too hot on driving 4 ohm loads. Many have said that in some loud passages when driving 4ohm loads that the Onkyos die out and shut off. Is this true? Also, how is the Onkyo protection mode, is it on of those where you unplug and plug back in, or is it one of those complex ones that needs to be taken in for service?

2. Danny Arborak

Danny Arborak Auditioning

I have an Integra 5.2..almost the same as a 595..driving Linn Kan's which are rated at four ohms and dip below that,I have'nt noticed a problem yet.(only had them for about a week).

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Kyle: IMO, I don't believe that Onkyo's are any different in this regard than most other quality brands. 4 ohm load require more current from the output devices. This generates more heat and heat is not a good thing for a long term service life. Most affordable receivers don't have very many output transistors or very many square inches of heat sinks. So their ability to deal with all of the heat is limited. (This is why you hardly see any receivers (much below the flagship price level) that are rated to drive 4 ohm loads.)

I would not eliminate Onkyo from purchase consideration based these "reports"...