What's new

Is it true that Onkyos aren't too fond of low impendence drive? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard a few times that Onkyos aren't too hot on driving 4 ohm loads. Many have said that in some loud passages when driving 4ohm loads that the Onkyos die out and shut off. Is this true? Also, how is the Onkyo protection mode, is it on of those where you unplug and plug back in, or is it one of those complex ones that needs to be taken in for service?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I never had my 575X "die out" even under some pretty loud conditions. The only speaker I've got that goes very low is my center, though, which dips below 4 ohms.

Danny Arborak

Auditioning
I have an Integra 5.2..almost the same as a 595..driving Linn Kan's which are rated at four ohms and dip below that,I have'nt noticed a problem yet.(only had them for about a week).

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Kyle: IMO, I don't believe that Onkyo's are any different in this regard than most other quality brands. 4 ohm load require more current from the output devices. This generates more heat and heat is not a good thing for a long term service life. Most affordable receivers don't have very many output transistors or very many square inches of heat sinks. So their ability to deal with all of the heat is limited. (This is why you hardly see any receivers (much below the flagship price level) that are rated to drive 4 ohm loads.)

I would not eliminate Onkyo from purchase consideration based these "reports"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks