Is it true that GTA3 is being pulled and censored?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Moulton, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Michael Moulton

Michael Moulton Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to find a copy of GTA3 here in town, and I'm hearing a few different things. Some stores are telling me it's been discontinued, others are telling me they are still getting shipments, and still more others are telling me that the new shipments are of an "edited" version.

I can't believe they would pull GTA3 and repress it with less language/violence/whatever, and none of the major news sites (IGN, GameSpot, etc.) seem to know anything about it.

Any insights?

--Mike

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

No. It's not. [​IMG]
    Individual stores will exercise discretion, to be sure, but the game is not being pulled nor is it being edited in any way.
    In fact, I saw several copies of GTA3 at my local Toys R Us just the other day. The fact is, it's either selling quite well or certain stores in your area are exercising the above-mentioned discretion.
    Cheers,
    Joseph

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The game is NOT being pulled or banned or censored or anything like that. It's just out of stock due to it selling really well.

4. Michael Moulton

I had a feeling that was the case.

I did finally find it in stock-- Target had a shipment come in this morning. The guy told me on the phone it was the new, edited version. However, when I got there, we discovered it's not changed-- Circuit City says the packaging will be different on the edited version.

Since all I've heard so far is rumor, I will assume until Rockstar says something publicly that the game is just hard to find. But people are getting rich on eBay off of these rumors (take a look on eBay, tons of people are selling the game saying "it's your only chance to get the unedited version." Wish Rockstar would come out and say "the rumors aren't true" just to end that stupidity.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Just bought it today and am having a blast---easily the best game I have ever played . More than 300 kills already...[​IMG] BRING ON THE VIOLENCE!

7. Michael Moulton

FINALLY! Today the game sites responded.
    Here's IGN's article:
    http://ps2.ign.com/news/40109.html
    GameSpot also had it in their letters section today.
    So, a quick question... is it worth the effort to call and correct the stores who are giving false information? Circuit City told me the edited version was out, EB & Babbage's said the game was discontinued. Is it worth my trouble?
    --Mike