is it true that bright sound has better imaging than warm sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aslam Imran, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

the title says it all

2. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Aslam:

In my opinion, no.

Larry

3. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

While I agree with Larry in a general sense, there are circumstances where a system that has what is generally described as a "warm" sound will have less than optimal imaging.

The detail in sound, and by extension the precision of a stereo image, comes from the mid and upper frequencies. Some amps and pre/pros that could be described as "warm" may actually be lacking in upper frequency detail which can result in a smeared or less precise stereo image.

The bottom line is, how well a system images is a result of the quality of the components, not whether any or all of the components have a "bright" or "warm" sound.

4. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

I agree with you George. On a similar note, what determines the soundstaging of an amp, the lower or upper end? I like a wide and deep soundstage with precise imaging. Are they mutually exclusive properties of an amp? Or are they reserved for the high end because I have heard some fully balanced Krells that have both properties but no amp in the mid fi arena (Rotel, B&K, ATI, Parasound or Adcom) that could throw a wide and deep soundstage with precise placement of vocals and instruments.

I know speakers have a lot to do with that and most of the mid fi gear I heard was on good speakers like Mirage OMs, Sonus Fabers, Vienna Acoustics, B&W (not the nautilus line) while the Krells I heard were connected to Thiels.

Thanks.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    How do you know what bright is? One person may feel one component is bright while another may not. It's whether or not YOU like what you hear.

6. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

7. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Assuming solid state amplifiers that are performing properly ie. no excessive channel bleed/crosstalk, soundstage and imaging is mainly a function of speakers, placement, and the room.

8. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

An audio system is just that, a system. The overall performance of a system will be determined not by a single component, but by the synergy of the entire system. A well designed audio system will be greater than the sum of its parts.

To create a soundstage that has both depth and detail requires a system that does everything well, but that does not necessarily mean it must be esoteric in quality or price. "Mid-fi" is a subjective term that will mean different things to different people. I have heard what I consider "mid-fi" systems that sound amazingly good. However, at this level, careful component matching becomes even more important because, as they say, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

The most often overlooked component in an audio system is the room. When discussing soundstage, the room becomes, perhaps, the most important component. No electronics or speakers, no matter how expensive, can overcome poor acoustics. On the other hand, what might be deemed a mediocre, or "mid-fi", system can be made to sound much better than the quality of the components in the system if it is properly set up in an acoustic space that allows for optimal soundstaging.

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I say no, because I consider imaging more a product of timing(when the signal from the stereo pair arrive at the listener).

However, I do think it affects accuracy(although I know you didn't ask about that), because as Obi mentioned, a warmer sound usually involves a roll-off of HF info.

DJ

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I used to think that all warm sounding amps had rolled off upper frequencies, however, lately, I've been messing with a tubed headphone amp. IMO, using a headphone removes some of the other contaminants which can make careful listening somewhat harder. The amp I am testing came with a set of tubes which emphasized a midrange bloom. That sounds kinda pleasing for some music, but has me wanting for the lower distortion, and the treble and low end bang that I like too. So, I've been swapping different tubes in and out of this thing and have very suprised how differently the amp sounds with different tubes. Recently, Nick Dangerous from Dallas sent me one of his tubes from his now sold amp like mine. Instantly, I could tell the difference. The upper treble was there, not pronounced, yet not hidden. The low end was also appropriately present. Bass was fast, and not blurred into the surrounding freqs. Yet, the lush midrange, which is making me start to really like tubed amps, was still there. So, now I believe that warm, detailed, and full range CAN exist in am amp or preamp! [​IMG]

11. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

12. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Good point Robert about system synergy. I guess I am naive in focussing only on one component. I should be looking at the whole system.

13. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

14. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Aslam:

15. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I would consider it possible, Saurav, but not as likely. It is especially easy to detect when you are comparing products and one particular range is out of balance.

It is much more common for speaker manufacturers to boost the upper midrange frequencies, so when someone is exposed to a more neutral speaker through the entire range(mid-range & treble), it sounds like the treble is accentuated, when in fact it is not--the mid-range is just not "drowning it out."

I agree though that alot of it is relative.

It's a great topic for discussion, Aslam, since we are all coming from different places due to our personal preferences and experiences with different equipment.

DJ

16. chung

chung Stunt Coordinator

17. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

18. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Chung:

19. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

20. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Chung,
    Links and references, please [​IMG] Also, what was the associated equipment, and what kind of music was played? I would assume that the salesman would have ensured that the situation would be one that would adequately stress the Yamaha integrated?