Is it true that a RSDL DVD will look better than a single layer DVD on a big TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio_M, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

I heard individuals say they prefer the DVD movie to be Dual Layered because they look better on a big TV set than a single disc ala Antz DTS/Major Payne/Dark City etc.
    What are your thoughts on this?

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

It all depends on the length of the movie and how much MPEG-2 compression has been applied to it. A dual-layered disc gives you almost (not quite) twice as much room as a single-layered disc. That room can be used for the video, dual Dolby Digital and DTS audio tracks, more extras, or anything alse the disc's producer wants.
    Theoretically, yes, a dual-layered disc can look better, but it's not as simple as that. There are just too many variables to make a general claim like that, in my opinion.

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Now that I went from a 36" Wega to a 47" Panasonic 16x9 HDTV, yes, the single layered DVD's can look fairly poor. Sometimes, because of the short length of the film, DVD5 titles can look very good. THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS is one prime example. Other times, like with ROLLERBALL, the disc can look like an artifact plagued nightmare on a large screen.
    Some RSDL titles suffer from this as well. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN is an RSDL title that looks very poor on my system. Artifacts are clearly seen from start to finish. HEAT is another example. On my Wega, it looked fantastic, but blown up on 47" HDTV, the 3 hour length clearly shows the limits of even RSDL. CTHD suffers from artifacts.
    ALMOST FAMOUS, 13 DAYS, BLADE, AKIRA, any title from Hong Kong Legends and even the 3 hour MAGNOLIA are DVDs that look fantastic on a large screen.
    The SUPERBIT releases sound like a good idea, but I am disappointed they are loading them with TWO 5.1 soundtracks. That is a complete waste of bit-space. Either DTS or DD5.1 should be used. Not both.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

4. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

I agree about the Superbits having both sound formats and taking space that can be used for picture.
    But then again, for those who love fifth element and don't have a DTS system yet, but have a dolby digital only system, the Superbit will be encoded in 448kbps, unlike the current version which is at 384kbps. So in essence, you will hear a tad better sounding experience with the new Superbit dolby digital version.
    That is what I figured, that it's up to the way the transfer came out on the DVD regardless if it's RSDL or single. I couldn't tell the difference between Antz DD and Antz DTS. Antz DTS is single.
    But then I heard about Mousehunt DTS which is Dual Layered, and word is, it's a tad better in image quality than the DD version which was single.