Is it time to upgrade???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by SteveSpoon, Mar 10, 2005.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Have a Technics SA-DX950. Been a good little receiver, however, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of sound........am I?

Steve

2. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, I didn't find ut to much about this one on a search. Looks like a decent unit.

Seems it should be good enough to satisfy most.

Are music and ht both dissapointing with it?

Elaborate some please.

3. SteveSpoon

I suppose much of my "disappointment" stems from all the hoopla about the Pioneer 1014!!

For what I'm doing, I suppose the Technics is still doing a good job for me. I use it primarily for home theater down in my basement (basement is finished). Room I have it in is pretty small, so having a lot of power really isn't necessary.

I'm using your basic Fluance 3 way speakers for the fronts, a Bic 62 (can't remember the model number......one of their better center channel speakers, anyway), small Advent surrounds, and a Jensen 12" subwoofer. The Jensen will be swapped out after I get my 12" Dayton DVC with a 250 watt parts express plate amp up and running.

I guess the only thing about the receiver is that I just don't think it has enough power. But I suppose I should wait and see how the system sounds once I get the new sub going.

Guess I just wanted to "vent" and kinda dream about the Pioneer.

Steve

4. John S

John S Producer

Hmm. Well, I find that most people that are not so happy and think they need all these upgrade. Once you give em a better sub, bingo, the system always seems to perform more up to their expectations. Really looks like a decent older piece of equipment. But, hey, upgrading to a 1014 could never be a bad choice either you know.

5. SteveSpoon

You're probably right on the "throwing out the old sub and replacing it with a kicka$$ one"........

It's just so easy to get caught up in the 1014 craziness!! [​IMG]

Thanks a lot.

Steve

6. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

What Fluance fronts do you have? Are they the SV-10s?

7. SteveSpoon

AV-F3.........nice little 3 way tower speakers. I like them. But, if I hooked them up to my Yamaha M-80 upstairs, I don't think they'd last very long!! [​IMG]

Steve