What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
p088w4dd.jpg

This was excellent. Watch this if you have the opportunity. You can also find it on youtube but you have to search it on google!

BBC - Horizon - Coronavirus Special

Investigating the scientific facts and figures behind the biggest public health crisis in living memory as a new coronavirus takes an unprepared world by storm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000h3nm

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Seems things are much more complicated. It's not just because of wet markets. Not sure if we close all wild animal markets, all will be good. One major issue is also animal farming.

And watch that graph of deaths on the documentary and your jaw drops. You start to appreciate the significance of the quarantine.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There's likely some overall truth to what you're saying but I'm not sure Georgia is that much different than most other states as it pertains to this crisis. I was born in Michigan. While, as previously stated, I limit the amount of media I expose myself to, the latest news I heard regarding that state appeared much worse than what we are dealing with here, which concerned me as I still have family and friends there.

I suspect population density is the greatest contributing factor to containment difficulties but, again, in a free society how much real control can we exert?
In Michigan a lot of stuff is shut down. Hell, people who cut grass and landscape are not allowed to work. Are barbershops and hair salons open in Georgia? They haven't been here in Michigan for about three weeks. With that said, I'm sure there are cities in Michigan that aren't good at practicing social distancing and the rest of the cities could use some improvement with that activity. However, I must say it seems most people are staying home and are practicing social distancing in my city.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
In Michigan a lot of stuff is shut down. Hell, people who cut grass and landscape are not allowed to work. Are barbershops and hair salons open in Georgia? They haven't been here in Michigan for about three weeks. With that said, I'm sure there are cities in Michigan that aren't good at practicing social distancing and the rest of the cities could use some improvement with that activity. However, I must say it seems most people are staying home and are practicing social distancing in my city.

Yea, there seems to be no discernible rationale for what is considered "essential" and what is not. Instead I think they're really just targeting businesses that require intimate contact or draw large crowds. In Georgia essential businesses appear to include...
  • Auto Shops
  • Beauty shops
  • Liquor stores
Non-essential businesses appear to include...
  • Barber shops
  • Malls
  • Theaters (excluding drive-in's)
I was in Costco earlier today and just turned around and left because they had allowed entirely too many people inside and there was simply no way to keep a safe distance. People just don't seem to care that much. I saw two things over the past few days that totally amazed me.

• Guy in Wal-Mart parking lot offering to wash vehicles
  • BBQ stands operating on street corners
Sadly I think humans learn best through experience. Georgia has not seen the suffering I am certain exists in NYC and other densely populated metro areas but maybe one day soon we will and that would be tragic since it would likely have been avoidable.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was in Costco earlier today and just turned around and left because they had allowed entirely too many people inside and there was simply no way to keep a safe distance. People just don't seem to care that much. I saw two things over the past few days that totally amazed me.
Based on info at their website, Costco seems to have limited admission per membership, but not necessarily the overall number of shoppers in their stores:

Updated Guest Shopping Policy
Costco has temporarily updated our shopping policy. This change is for your safety and the safety of our employees and other members, and to further assist with our social distancing efforts. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

U.S. Costco warehouses will allow no more than two people to enter the warehouse with each membership card.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200415.png

(earlier dates available here)

The number of new cases has been holding steady at about 9,000 a day. Some days less, some days more.

11,586 confirmed fatalities -- 752 of which occurred just yesterday. Twentieth consecutive day of triple-digit increases.

And somehow those same people still have no interest in correcting that failure.
It's difficult to get widespread testing going when you've alienated many of the countries that manufacture the testing materials.

Face masks now required in public in NY State.
I ordered a cloth one today, but it will be 1-2 weeks before it gets here.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Liquor stores are essential due to alcohol addictions. If you cut off an alcoholic's booze supply, they can fall into withdrawal bad enough to send them to the hospital.

Yes. I heard the same justification and, personally, have no problem with it but "essential" is still a stretch in my opinion.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We cannot continue as a society to "stay at home"

This study finds that stay-at-home and social distancing is actually SAVING money for the U.S. economy (versus letting the virus spread):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericma...-5-trillion-wyoming-study-finds/#4f4ec26b574e

I think that the states will slowly open up businesses. However, people will be forced to wear masks and continue social distancing until they are able to get vaccinated.

That is basically what California's governor said yesterday. At some point, the stay-at-home will be relaxed and places like restaurants will be allowed to reopen. However, restaurants will be required to dramatically reduce seating to allow for proper distancing. Etc.

If the new case count starts climbing again, back to a lockdown.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
On a related tangent...

All of the research I've seen indicate the R0 of this coronavirus is greater than the average yearly flu strain. And yet by social distancing we've slowed it way more than we ever slow the flu (by this time of spread, the yearly flu has infected tens of millions in the U.S. alone and millions more worldwide).

Imagine how much of an effect we could have on the yearly flu if 1) people got vaccinated, and 2) when they're sick they stayed home, wore masks, and did their best to not infect others vs. "toughing through it".

As C+C Music Factory best put it, "things that make you go hmmm..." :laugh:

If EVERYONE had good healthcare available to them and EVERYONE had an employer that didn't treat them like crap for calling in sick (and paid them a decent amount of sick leave) the yearly flu would be far less of a problem.

Mark

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Today, the first case of COVID-19 was reported in Mineral County, NV. Perhaps the locals will begin to pay attention!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Finished that Horizon episode. Some interesting animation at the end about herd immunity and also they said the fastest vaccine we have made was in 5 years.

The idea of one vaccine that they are working on for the first time without the virus itself is very interesting. They are using the virus blueprint to make the spikes without needing the virus itself. That's very exciting, imaging the lab where it's "safe" to walk around!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Heartbreak after pregnant Luton nurse with coronavirus dies at L&D Hospital

Pregnant Mary Agyeiwaa Agyapong, 28, worked as a nurse on a general ward at Luton & Dunstable University Hospital for five years.

After falling ill with coronavirus, Ms Agyapong was admitted to the hospital herself on Sunday, April 5.

Her baby, a little girl, was delivered successfully by emergency caesarian on Sunday and is understood to be doing well. But tragically, Ms Agyepong died that day.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Liquor stores are essential due to alcohol addictions. If you cut off an alcoholic's booze supply, they can fall into withdrawal bad enough to send them to the hospital.
That’s the real reason. The tongue in cheek reason is people need lots of alcohol to be locked up for days on end with their families. :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That didn't stop other states, like Pennsylvania, from shutting them down. Now the border counties in Ohio and West Virginia are refusing to sell to PA residents who are crossing the border to try and buy booze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks