Is it time to talk about coronavirus?

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200410.png

(earlier dates available here)

The percentage increase is declining for both the Rest of State number and the New York City number, but the New York City number is declining faster. A week ago, the number of positive cases in New York City was increasing by over 10 percent from one day to the next. Now, it is increasing by a little over six percent.

Another look at the hospitalization projections from the governor's daily briefing, this one with the source and nature of each trend line clearly identified:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200410_chart_Hospitalizations.jpg

7,844 confirmed fatalities -- 777 of which occurred just yesterday. Fifteenth consecutive day of triple-digit increases, though down slightly from yesterday.

There has been a lot of discussion about the disparate racial impact of COVID-19, and the state has started publishing breakdowns of the fatalities. I compared the state's fatalities breakdown by race/ethnicity to the the total population by race/ethnicity:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200410_chart_RaceEthnicity.png

Disparities definitely do exist, and they're worse outside the city than inside the city. However, the disparities statewide are far less than what is being reported in other parts of the country.

In grim news, as Sam mentioned, the mass burial phase of this crisis has begun:
Ironically, the convicts responsible for the burials at the potter's field for New York City on Hart Island are better provisioned with PPE than many of the city's health care workers, because of longstanding protocols for burials on Hart Island.

In other news, 17 days after filling out the questionnaire on the Department of Health website, and several days after recovering, I was contacted today by DOH to get tested. I have an appointment tomorrow at 3 PM. I doubt I'll test positive, even if I did have it, since it's been so long since i was sick. But I figure better safe than sorry.

Reactions: DaveF

Mark Booth

Effects Supervisor
Premium
Effective yesterday, multiple grocery chains in Southern California (and perhaps elsewhere) are requiring CUSTOMERS to wear a face covering while shopping in their stores.

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Effective yesterday, multiple grocery chains in Southern California (and perhaps elsewhere) are requiring CUSTOMERS to wear a face covering while shopping in their stores.

Mark

NJ did the same thing a few days ago.

Stores are only allowed to have half the maximum of people in the store that they are rated for.

Also, all stores need to have shields put up at checkout stations.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I want you to be right, but I’ve never heard any discussion of this on the news shows.
I’m wanting to say that THV11 did a verify piece about this early last week and said that retirees drawing from a 401K or IRA would get a check based on the same income rules as non-retirees.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint

Stores are only allowed to have half the maximum of people in the store that they are rated for.

It’s the Wild West here. Crowded stores with few wearing masks and the governor believes issuing a stay at home order would be worse than letting people run wild.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin

The Safeway here in Hawthorne, NV put up shields a few weeks ago. This week, they close off one one set of doors forcing customers to enter on one side and exit on the other closest to the registers. That forced them to move where shopping carts are stored, taking up space in the area previously occupied by the packaged bakery treats area (breakfast cakes, donuts, etc).

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Local Wegmans has shields as of last week, I guess. I had to pop in yesterday and I saw they had a "line starts here" sign at the front entrance. So they must be doing customer-count control during busy times.

They've got entrance and exit routes separated. And private security hired to monitor and enforce that. They've never had security before.

Thursday morning, I felt like the outsider not having a mask. Friday evening, I had a mask, and I felt the outsider wearing one. So masks is still pretty variable based on the what crowd is shopping.

I haven't been to Trader Joe's during the pandemic, but two weeks ago they were enforcing customer-count with a line outside the store.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member

8,627 confirmed fatalities -- 783 of which occurred just yesterday. Sixteenth consecutive day of triple-digit increases.

Got tested this afternoon. The drive-thru testing facility was located on the UAlbany campus, taking advantage of the extensive network of roads and parking lots. The entire thing was incredibly well-managed; there were four checkpoints, and the only time I had to roll down my window was when they actually swabbed my sinus cavity (incidentally, NOT a pleasant experience). The National Guard directed the cars through the various checkpoints, and then presumably DOH staff in full head to toe protective gear did the actual test. The first checkpoint they confirm that you have an appointment and confirm that you are who you say you are by checking the driver's license. The second checkpoint, they print out your information and slip it under a windshield wiper. The third checkpoint, they ask you to confirm the information on the printout. At the fourth checkpoint, under a tent, they actually administer the test while you remain inside your car. There's a massive container of the prisoner-produced NYS hand sanitizer on the table, and the people administering the test wash their hands after each car. It definitely was one of those moments where I felt like I was living inside Outbreak or Andromeda Stain or Contagion. They left this card under my windshield wiper when they were done:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200411_resultsCard.png

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It’s the Wild West here. Crowded stores with few wearing masks and the governor believes issuing a stay at home order would be worse than letting people run wild.
I haven’t seen the inside of a store since the guv started shutting things down. My wife is enforcing her own stay-at-home edict and has informed me that violating that order could prove fatal. ;) I do hope our republican guv has the balls to issue the order when, and it will be, it is required.

What’s going to happen if fire, flood, tornado, or hurricane season strikes and this i still going on? Thinking of that scares me. Imagine people seeking shelters and crowed together.

I do not know why there’s an attached file.

Attachments

John Dirk

Cinematographer
Premium
Real Name
JOHN

Mark
It will be interesting to see if and how they actually enforce this. Here our local supermarket chain [Publix for those who live in the South] has established One Way travel through all aisles. They've placed clear markings in each aisle indicating the proper direction of travel. Wal-Mart and some other stores have placed custom signs at 6 ft intervals in each checkout lane. In both cases the majority of patrons seem to completely ignore the stores efforts to keep them safe. I've even heard a few make rude comments to the employees who are just doing their jobs.

One of the saddest and scariest parts of this whole thing to me has been observing just how simplistic and unevolved some people can be.

It doesn't bode well for our future.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
I haven’t seen the inside of a store since the guv started shutting things down. My wife is enforcing her own stay-at-home edict and has informed me that violating that order could prove fatal. ;) I do hope our republican guv has the balls to issue the order when, and it will be, it is required.

What’s going to happen if fire, flood, tornado, or hurricane season strikes and this i still going on? Thinking of that scares me. Imagine people seeking shelters and crowed together.

I do not know why there’s an attached file.
I’m curious what will happen if this is still a thing on Black Friday.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200412.png

The numbers have peaked twice so far: Once on April 4th with 10,841 new cases, and again on April 10th with 10,621 new cases. We might be trending down now, or we might just be in another dip:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200412_newPositiveCases.png

9,385 confirmed fatalities -- 758 of which occurred just yesterday. Seventeenth consecutive day of triple-digit increases.

Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
View attachment 71094

The numbers have peaked twice so far: Once on April 4th with 10,841 new cases, and again on April 10th with 10,621 new cases. We might be trending down now, or we might just be in another dip:
View attachment 71095

9,385 confirmed fatalities -- 758 of which occurred just yesterday. Seventeenth consecutive day of triple-digit increases.
Adam,

I would think they're testing a lot more people right now than earlier so perhaps New York is trending down.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janvitkrasu