What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Surprised to read that US spies detected the virus in China as far back as November 2019.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/08/politics/intel-agencies-covid-november/index.html

Not surprised at this I heard this a while back, that we had this info in the pipeline in late November. Knew it was a growing potential huge problem in December. Warnings were flying in our government all the way to the top in January. Investors and donors were being secretly warned in February what stocks and investments to get out of in February and which to buy of course, and the public was slow rolled into knowledge in March. That timeline is backed by facts.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Something which looks "obvious" in hindsight, possibly might not have appeared that way at the time.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Warnings were flying in our government all the way to the top in January. Investors and donors were being secretly warned in February what stocks and investments to get out of in February and which to buy of course, and the public was slow rolled into knowledge in March.

I would be quite surprised if something turned out in this manner, like "wizards behind the curtain".

The notion of a pandemic has always been a hypothetical case for "scenario planning" type of stuff.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/25/coronavirus-worst-intelligence-failure-us-history-covid-19/

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Saw this today and thought it very apropos.

4a4477a2-dd4a-4293-827c-4d6d87150fad.jpeg

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm in rural St. Lawrence County in New York and have been getting deliveries of everything from prescription drugs to milk for the past month or more from my local Kinney Drugs out of an abundance of caution for myself, my family, and neighbors.

If such services are available here, I'm sure they could've had vitamins delivered most anywhere in America. Vitamins that I doubt are so critical that they couldn't of done without for a few weeks with no ill effects. It's just an excuse to justify stupid and reckless behavior.

I've also been taking advantage of Walmart's pickup service that conveniently launched here a few weeks before this mess, with my groceries rolled out to the car which I then load with gloves. And my local IGA also has implemented something similar, which I'll take advantage of soon.

I haven't stepped inside a store in a month now. Sure wish I could go to my local car garage though. My brakes suddenly sound awful, but I'd rather baby them with the little bit of driving I'm doing lately until things ease a bit. I'd rather end up replacing calipers and such than risk catching this thing just to get brake pads replaced.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nothing is perfect and 100%. You really can't say. I know someone who got it (mild stay at home case) and they were ordering and receiving food and stuff. She suspects she got it from one of those deliveries. You can't say one way is the only safe way.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I know, I never said that my way was perfect. There's always the chance of catching it even though I'm wiping with Clorox wipes everything for the freezer and refrigerator and leaving everything else in the trunk of the car for a few days before bringing it inside.

I was commenting on the reckless behavior Sam told us about, where a couple that he's best friends with have been diagnosed with it, yet left quarantine to go shopping for vitamins of all things. That I can safely say with 100% certainty is needless, reckless, and hardly the only way to get vitamins.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm surprised as well, since if you read the article only some unnamed former military official makes the claim, both NCMI and the Pentagon deny any such report, and CNN in a linked article states that they haven't independently verified the existence of the report.

IMO, not at all surprising.

That's why some of us aren't so trusting of govts... including our own, despite our Constitution...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ouch, savage Mark. :laugh:

But even if you have decided to live "a life apart", unless you live in the most remote parts of the country, delivery is totally a thing now. Even in areas where it wasn't before, it is now. It's a cottage industry that grew exponentially due to covid. Order them in, pay the surcharge, save lives.

Despite that, doesn't mean it'd happen promptly enough though... not that I disagree that Sam's friends should find some other way, especially for something like vitamins, which doesn't seem quite that urgent (unless she has some particularly exceptional condition/need for such that just don't occur to us)...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This is one of those random things that runs through my mind when I am at the store...how much toilet paper can people buy and where are they putting all of it? I think of the empty bedroom in my house and I wonder "Did people just fill any empty room in their house with toilet paper? Are there houses around the country where if you went in them there is just toilet paper stacked everywhere? People now watching TV through a ceiling high alley of Charmin?

I can honestly say that I have not bought a single roll of toilet paper since this all began. I can also say since March I have not seen any toilet paper in stores except one time. A market I was in had small single rolls which they were limiting to one per customer due to the frenzy. In the time I was in the store they sold all but 3 or 4 rolls. Again, I didn't need it so I did not panic buy a roll of toilet paper.

There is a young guy that is my neighbor who works for one of the big local grocery chains and the other day some of us were outside on a sunny day and he walked by with his mom while they were walking their dog and I asked sort of laughing where all the toilet paper is and if those empty aisles are ever restocked and if they are how often. He said they restock them nightly and each morning a mass of people come in and by about 10am all the toilet paper (paper towels, tissues, paper napkins) is gone. I was truly amazed. He said I should for the hell of it get up early some morning and go to a market and see what happens. People all head first for the TP aisle, strip it and then do the rest of their shopping. And the employees do say that often some of the same people come every morning, buy as much toilet paper as they can, only to return the following day.

I'm standing there thinking but not a lot of people have a huge house or even extra space in their house to store ridiculous amounts of TP. Some people live in apartments, condos, share living spaces...there is no room for massive amounts of anything.

I think of my wife and when we go to visit her brother in Manhattan. She always gets annoyed because they are always out of everything, milk, eggs, tissues, napkins, toilet paper you name it. And every time we go there they ask us to make 15 trips to the grocery store always to get one item, only to send one of us back again to get another item. They never stock up on anything because...well...because they are New Yorkers and they wait until something runs out before they go get more...and they buy one or two rolls of toilet paper at a time. They have a 2 million dollar apartment and it has one bathroom, not some giant bathroom, so all that they have is one roll of toilet paper in the place at a time and it is the one on the holder. They might "splurge" and buy a second roll if guests are coming but most times we are sent to the store to get "a roll" of toilet paper. His wife once yelled at my wife because she brought back a 4 pack and she screamed "Where are we going to put all that?"

So, during this toilet paper craze of 2020 I am just dumbfounded as to what people are doing with it all.

Is it a thing now to post pictures of your toilet paper collection on the internet?

Maybe I just haven't been to enough others' apts in Manhattan in recent years, but that's surely just hyperbole, no? :lol:

Some folks in NYC do seem to have exceptional knack at being pack rats though... not that I do any hoarding of TP myself -- just don't ask me about other stuff though. :P I did finally toss a small stash of old WSJs last week that I've been joking about being my TP backup, LOL... :laugh:

_Man_

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of vitamins... My wife and I have increased our daily intake of zinc. Our multivitamin contains 100% of the RDA for zinc but we are also taking an immune system boost that includes another 25% of RDA for zinc.

Zinc *might* help prevent SARS-CoV-2 from invading healthy cells.

Mark

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
All this talk of toilet paper has conjured up a memory. In 1976 I had my first teaching job, my first apartment and my first experience handling money. I totally ran out of toilet paper! My solution? I’d go to the teacher’s restroom, bring my briefcase and scoff a roll!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I heard a lot of ambulance sirens from my Queens apartment today; it had been pretty quiet over the past week. I don’t know if there’s any meaning that can be read into that.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The price of eggs were going up back when people were panicking and you couldn't find eggs.
I bought eggs yesterday from Wal-Mart. They had a sign prominently displayed saying their suppliers had raised the price of eggs to deal with the demand. Odd as there were plenty of eggs available. Meanwhile you can't find a can of Lysol anywhere yet prices remain the same according to what is listed on the empty display shelf.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of vitamins... My wife and I have increased our daily intake of zinc. Our multivitamin contains 100% of the RDA for zinc but we are also taking an immune system boost that includes another 25% of RDA for zinc.

Zinc *might* help prevent SARS-CoV-2 from invading healthy cells.

Mark
Great...now here comes the run on Zinc...

Well if it does happen, at least I know I have a new supply of Zicam because I actually use that to great effect to shorten the duration of colds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread