Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Reaction score

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
I have decided to just tune it all out. The internet media outlets are full of articles and headlines-
some actual news, most finger pointing, panic for clicks, agendas, and sensationalized stuff. I don’t bother to click on that stuff.
I purposely avoid non-frivolous news online. So the only current "news" websites I read, is for really silly irrevelant frivolous stuff like: tv/movie news, star trek, star wars, kardashians, boring celebrities, dvd/bluray, etc ... :)

I also try to avoid watching 24 hours news channels, but unfortunately my tv frequently ends up tuning in to stuff like cnn, fox, bbc, etc ...

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
I find it somewhat less stressful when I only read "news" websites about frivolous stuff like: kayne west, jennifer lopez, the kardashians, marvel superheros, dvds + blurays, etc ...

Mark Booth

Cinematographer
Premium
Reaction score
Why was that manager even working if he was ill???
I worked in the retail grocery business for 35 years. Publicly, all of the company policy material cautions that you should not work when ill. It's in paperwork you receive when you are hired, it's taught in all health and safety trainings, it's plastered up on the employee bulletin board in the break room.

Privately, when it's just you and your manager... They are NOT happy when you call in sick. When someone calls in sick and they can't be replaced it usually means one of the managers has to take up the slack. They don't like that one bit. So, I've seen managers make someone's life miserable when they returned to work after having called in sick.

That said, given the current situation, that Target manager should be arrested and thrown in jail for working when he knew he was ill.

Mark

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I purposely avoid non-frivolous news online. So the only current "news" websites I read, is for really silly irrevelant frivolous stuff like: tv/movie news, star trek, star wars, kardashians, boring celebrities, dvd/bluray, etc ... :)

I also try to avoid watching 24 hours news channels, but unfortunately my tv frequently ends up tuning in to stuff like cnn, fox, bbc, etc ...
Yes I find myself on this website more often than normal- a nice escape from all the stress, BS and noise.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Reaction score
That said, given the current situation, that Target manager should be arrested and thrown in jail for working when he knew he was ill.
Mark
In addition to my comment about him showing a "stunning lack of common sense", I'd also add "extreme selfishness". Sure, we get that you have to pay your bills. But you've just endangered all of your coworkers, and all of the people they will come in contact with.
Covid-19-Transmission-graphic-01.gif
That's still the best graphic representation I've seen for Stay At Home efficacy. Admittedly simplistic, but it makes the point.

Edit: apparently you have to click on the graphic to open it up in a popover window to see the animation

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The last I knew they were still open, but I remember hearing Cuomo saying that they should only be used by essential workers such as Doctors and Nurses.
That’s correct - they’re running but ridership is down by something like 90%, so for the most part, people are staying off them unless they need to.

As for the Target manager working sick - no, that’s not a good thing, but it was inevitable. We have a culture here that prides itself on “toughing it out” when you’re sick. That’s true of both workplaces where there are no benefits and ones where there are. The companies and governments that have added new sick leave specifically for people with coronavirus is a step in the right direction, but the problem with those new benefits is that they’re usually only applicable to people with confirmed cases. So if you stay home because you don’t feel well, that’s either an unexcused absence or absence without pay. You get the benefit if you’re confirmed to have it. With the testing shortages, only the people in dire straits are being tested, and the rest told to go home without a test. There isn’t a benefit for “I’m not feeling well and I need to take myself out of the equation until I know if I’ve got it or just a cold/flu”.

DaveF

Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
The criteria for counting COVID-19 deaths has been revised recently to try and get a better count (avoid the under-counting discussed a few pages ago). I'm seeing this spun among conspiracy-minded people as part of some evil plot elsewhere on social media.

As an FYI, from what I've read, the changes to counting COVID-19 deaths put it more in line with standard process for counting seasonal influenza deaths. Here's a reference:

How CDC estimates Influenza-Associated Deaths in the U.S.
Seasonal influenza may lead to death from other causes, such as pneumonia, congestive heart failure, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It has been recognized for many years that influenza is underreported on death certificates. There may be several reasons for underreporting, including that patients aren’t always tested for seasonal influenza virus infection, particularly older adults who are at greatest risk of seasonal influenza complications and death. Even if a patient is tested for influenza, influenza virus infection may not be identified because the influenza virus is only detectable for a limited number of days after infection and many people don’t seek medical care in this interval. Additionally, some deaths – particularly among those 65 years and older – are associated with secondary complications of influenza (including bacterial pneumonias). For these and other reasons, modeling strategies are commonly used to estimate flu-associated deaths. Only counting deaths where influenza was recorded on a death certificate would be a gross underestimation of influenza’s true impact.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Reaction score
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200408.png

(earlier dates available here)

After four days of declines in the percentage increase, the number jumped back up a little, with over 10,000 new positive cases since the day before. The big driver of that increase is the Rest of State numbers, which increased almost 9 percent since the day before. This is what the experts predicted; since the spread outside the city has been slower, the apex would be reached later.

5,489 confirmed fatalities -- 779 of which occurred just yesterday, as Robert Crawford noted. Fourteenth consecutive day of triple-digit increases, and a significant jump after a few days where the numbers had seemed to plateau. It was the worst day yet.

I found out today a girl who was in the grade below me and rode the same bus as me growing up succumbed to the virus over the weekend. We weren't close or anything, but it definitely brings it home when it's someone you know.

Sad to hear about John Prine passing away from Covid19. He was one of my favorite folk musicians. When I heard he was infected last week, I was sort of expecting this, since he had previously survived lung cancer. I’ll pour some wine and listen to some of his tunes tonight in his honor.
One of the great singer-songwriters of the last half century:

Even if a retail place is acting right and doesn't penalize an employee for taking off for an illness now, they're not likely to pay that employee and If they've got bills, that's likely going to keep them going to work even if they're sick.
Exactly. It's not a coincidence that people from lower socioeconomic backgrounds are getting sick and dying in disproportionate numbers. It's because they're the ones who can't afford to stay home.

Apologies if this has been posted already; if it was, I didn't see it. I have to admit, it brought a huge smile to my face:

Reactions: TravisR

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah that was mentioned in the article too, They are dumping it because not enough buyers for it.

Im wondering if when this passes how much we're going to be spending for milk and eggs and lettuce.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Yeah that was mentioned in the article too, They are dumping it because not enough buyers for it.

Im wondering if when this passes how much we're going to be spending for milk and eggs and lettuce.
The price of eggs were going up back when people were panicking and you couldn't find eggs.

Sam Posten

Reaction score
Website
www.navesink.net
Real Name
Sam Posten

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
Just before this started eggs down here were $1.09 for 18 count at Target.
I haven’t bought any in a couple weeks so,I haven’t seen the prices.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Just before this started eggs down here were $1.09 for 18 count at Target.
I haven’t bought any in a couple weeks so,I haven’t seen the prices.
I got to be honest, I rarely look at pricing anyway.:rolleyes:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
Me too but once I noticed how cheap they were at Target I couldn’t help but check prices at Walmart and the other supermarkets.
1.09 for 18 pack of eggs is super cheap I think.

Looks like Target.com lists them at my local for $1.89 now.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Me too but once I noticed how cheap they were at Target I couldn’t help but check prices at Walmart and the other supermarkets.
1.09 for 18 pack of eggs is super cheap I think.

Looks like Target.com lists them at my local for $1.89 now.
It might have been a sale then.

Reactions: B-ROLL

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
No it was the regular price for eggs.
A dozen generally has been 49¢

It’s $1.39 for a dozen now. This is the Target brand.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
No it was the regular price for eggs.
A dozen generally has been 49¢

It’s $1.39 for a dozen now. This is the Target brand.
Gotcha!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2