What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The shortage is industry wide, both commercial and industrial. There are no warehouses full of industrial toilet paper at the moment.

I don't know about industrial shortages but where I live TP is no longer that hard to get. Once the hoarding was controlled by imposing limits it started to become easier to find it on shelves. Still nowhere near like normal of course but it's available.

Because I'm morbid, I'm re-reading The Stand by Stephen King...this video would fit right in to the story...

I guess I'm morbid too because I've been planning to pop in my DVD set of The Stand for awhile now. I decided to start with something a tad less analogous to our current reality and chose The Day The Earth Stood Still. I finished that about a week ago and now I think I'm ready for The Stand.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That’s good to hear, because a week ago Target was doing nothing. They were almost pointedly not cleaning surfaces or sanitizing carts.

I’ve got to go shopping this week so I hop my local target looks like yours.

My niece works ar Target. Saturday, she was working with a very ill manager. Yesterday, another manager called her in the office and told her the manager she worked with on Saturday tested positive for the Corona Virus.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My niece works ar Target. Saturday, she was working with a very ill manager. Yesterday, another manager called her in the office and told her the manager she worked with on Saturday tested positive for the Corona Virus.
Why was that manager even working if he was ill???

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Because people are capable of displaying a stunning lack of common sense.
That's definitely the case for some people but even now, some companies will just fire an employee if they don't come in. Sick or not sick, pandemic or no pandemic. When your choice is working sick & hoping you don't have coronavirus or you & your kids being homeless, I can see how people make the choice. I'm lucky enough to have a cushion that I can get by for a few months but I don't know anyone else in the real world that can say that.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That's definitely the case for some people but at the same time, some companies will just fire an employee if they don't come in. Sick or not sick, pandemic or no pandemic.

I worked retail, and I remember calling in sick was never really an option(Toys R Us)If you did, you were a bad person. Once had an accident at work with 14 stitches, manager said, "when you are done at the med center come back, and finish your shift". I had three hours left...seriously?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
One thing I haven’t heard about is how quickly the symptoms present themselves. Is it gradual, or do people go from one day being ‘normal’, and the next day looking/acting/being ill? And is it the same for everyone?

I know, for myself, with the standard cold, I can go from feeling fine to feeling miserable in less than a day. Maybe COVID-19 is similar, and this manager was ok on Friday (or start of shift Saturday), and suddenly unwell on Saturday

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I worked retail, and I remember calling in sick was never really an option(Toys R Us)If you did, you were a bad person. Once had an accident at work with 14 stitches, manager said, "when you are done at the med center come back, and finish your shift". I had three hours left...seriously?
Even if a retail place is acting right and doesn't penalize an employee for taking off for an illness now, they're not likely to pay that employee and If they've got bills, that's likely going to keep them going to work even if they're sick.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As someone who has lived paycheck to paycheck, and during those times, did come in sick because I needed the money...

That act above was still a stunning lack of common sense. This isn't an "ordinary time". Consider:
  • The known transmissibility (R0) is greater than the normal flu
  • The mortality rate is many times higher than the normal flu
  • Many (most?) places have stay at home orders
  • It's all over the NEWS
If you're sick, stay at home. If you start to feel sick, leave immediately. If this were 2018 and someone with a cold thought they could tough it out at the office, I mean that's still extremely inconsiderate, but this is not that. This is 2020. This is a pandemic. As they say in GoT "This is known."

So yes, I understand that person works in retail. I understand that person may absolutely need the paycheck. But given everything we know it is, in this day and age, a stunning lack of common sense.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It is almost impossible to not know what is going on. Every news broadcast on radio and TV is almost exclusively covid19. Of course you could put a paper bag over your head, put your fingers in your ears and shout “La, La, La, La”.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Hospitalizations are dropping in New York, but the death rate has increased to 779 on Tuesday. It appears the curve is flattening.
Is it true that mass transit (trains and subways) are still operating in NYC? Yes, too many people need these services to just shut them down, but
you can see where this virus will remain an issue
with so many people in close quarters.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It is almost impossible to not know what is going on. Every news broadcast on radio and TV is almost exclusively covid19. Of course you could put a paper bag over your head, put your fingers in your ears and shout “La, La, La, La”.
I have decided to just tune it all out. The internet media outlets are full of articles and headlines-
some actual news, most finger pointing, panic for clicks, agendas, and sensationalized stuff. I don’t bother to click on that stuff.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Caught my attention since I lived Rochester, which is in Monroe County, NY.

CHILI, N.Y. (WHEC) — As mortuary space at local hospitals and funeral homes nears capacity, Monroe County is opening a Decedent Holding Area (DHA).

A total of four trailers have been brought to the Monroe County Fleet Center on Paul Road in Chili. According to a county spokesperson, up to 128 bodies can be stored in the trailers.

County officials say the DHA is necessary due to the increasing number of deaths related to COVID-19. As of Monday afternoon, more than 25 people have died from the novel coronavirus in the county. Funeral homes are also limiting the number of funeral services they conduct during this crisis.

The transition to storing bodies in the tractor-trailers is expected to begin this week.
https://www.whec.com/coronavirus/tr..._nIGHcQqakJ8SlP1EJuAjeuVEaR8UzqgEMXiDDiiiutOE

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Is it true that mass transit (trains and subways) are still operating in NYC? Yes, too many people need these services to just shut them down, but
you can see where this virus will remain an issue
with so many people in close quarters.
The last I knew they were still open, but I remember hearing Cuomo saying that they should only be used by essential workers such as Doctors and Nurses.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Of course you could put a paper bag over your head, put your fingers in your ears and shout “La, La, La, La”.

Or somebody who lives like the Unabomber in the middle of nowhere, and only reads out-of-state (or out-of-country) newspapers with a 2-3 months time lag.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread