What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Regarding Corona virus: I heard major company, learning an employee was infected, issued a plant shutdown for a three day weekend, and are having the facilities thoroughly cleaned.

I’m also hearing of the major companies in my field pulling back on non-critical travel, professional conferences, etc.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Regarding Corona virus: I heard major company, learning an employee was infected, issued a plant shutdown for a three day weekend, and are having the facilities thoroughly cleaned.

I’m also hearing of the major companies in my field pulling back on non-critical travel, professional conferences, etc.

That's happened in a number of places here already -- I'm from Singapore, one of the first countries outside China to get a notable number of cases. But because it was detected early, and tracing implemented, together with de facto quarantine orders for anyone exposed, our subsequent transmission rate has really tailed off; we're at something like 112 cases as at today, many of whom have already recovered and been discharged, and no fatalities yet.

Many companies have implemented work-from-home policies, and/or split shifts, where possible. So I guess it's working.

But what worked here isn't necessarily going to work in many other places. We're a tiny country, city-state really, with 5.5 million squeezed into 700-odd square km (dunno what that is in square miles, probably under 300). So probably something like Chicago on an island. Tracing is therefore easier, as is imposing and enforcing border controls. Also, since we're a tropical country to begin with, the warm weather makes non-direct transmission that much harder, since the virus doesn't survive long outside a human host on an external surface at higher temperatures; hence the thinking that in the northern hemisphere, infection rates should go down as winter ends.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Why are people panic-buying toilet paper? Sanitizer, I get. Food, sure. Loads of surgical masks that won't help, I understand the lizard-brain impulse.

But toilet paper? The CDC doesn't list as a symptom profound and extended gastro-intestinal distress.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

They're scared shitless, Dave. :)

In the spirit of full disclosure, heard someone make this joke on cable.

- Walter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Why are people panic-buying toilet paper? Sanitizer, I get. Food, sure. Loads of surgical masks that won't help, I understand the lizard-brain impulse.

But toilet paper? The CDC doesn't list as a symptom profound and extended gastro-intestinal distress.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

Yeah, I don’t get it. I just so happened to be due to buy more paper yesterday and that aisle was full of tumbleweeds at my local market.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Panic buying of prescription drugs I can understand. I checked all my prescriptions and fortunately all are made in India.

But most TP sold in the US is made in Canada, not China.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Emergency preparedness guides recommend having an extra supply on hand in case of shortage or quarantine that disrupts your ability to get refills.

That's not always practical or affordable because of the regulations and insurance policies for many drugs.

But I get people wanting to buy ahead right now if possible. Though I hope they're not hoarding drugs. That's not really good long-term plan either.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
This was a creepy premonition by author Dean Koontz - The Eyes of Darkness - written in 1981.

dean koontz a.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...1-thriller-deadly-virus-Wuhan-bestseller.html

dean koontz fg.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
But most TP sold in the US is made in Canada, not China.
Not so sure about that. I work in the industry and the vast majority of Toilet Paper is imported from China or made here in the US. Little that I sell is from Canada.

I also am right in the middle of this Corona Virus mad buying.

I sell Purell, Clorox, Lysol and many similar type products. We are wiped out of everything and we are one of the largest distributors of these products in the world.

In my 30+ years in this industry, I’ve never seen anything like it.

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Why are people panic-buying toilet paper?

Probably habit for all of the other times they panic buy.

I'm still not sure why during snow storm prep, the first thing to clear the shelves after water and toilet paper are bananas.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Northern Italy to quarantine 16 million people

Italy's prime minister has said at least 16 million people are in mandatory quarantine in Lombardy region and also in 14 provinces.

The lock-down will last until early April.

The dramatic escalation in the country's efforts to contain the new coronavirus will close gyms, pools, museums and ski resorts.

Italy is Europe's worst-hit country and reported a steep rise in virus infections on Saturday.

The new measures, which also apply to financial centre Milan and tourist hotspot Venice will last until 3 April.

The death toll in Italy has passed 230, with officials reporting more than 50 deaths in 24 hours. The number of confirmed cases jumped by more than 1,200 to 5,883 on Saturday.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
This was a creepy premonition by author Dean Koontz - The Eyes of Darkness - written in 1981.

View attachment 69412

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...1-thriller-deadly-virus-Wuhan-bestseller.html

View attachment 69413
Most of what I sort of read in that Reminds me, of the Andromeda Strain, which deals with viral infections. Got take measures now. Got be far, far more cautious with other people surrounding Yourself, myself each and one and all of Us, if we are to get though all this, while medicine works effortlessly around the clock to find a cure, vaccine that put this, covid-19 on ice permanently.

Come on medicine. Get rid of it, get rid of it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
200 so cases reported in UK now. I expect the figure is higher and by next week it may say its 500 cases even thou that figure is incorrect as most yet not reported it.

Its time we put some distance between ourselves. Wear masks, breathing masks good cloth protection. Wash hands all times. Avoid going to lots of public places and touching objects, surfaces.

My dad or most relations don't seem to take this matter seriously or are too damn busy watching rubbish soap tv shows in the evening. This worries me if Outdoor-cats can contract it from surrounding areas and bring it back without the owner knowing? Its starting to make me feel miserable, concerned and yes, Scared. :(

I got the breathing mask for doing some sanding some months ago, not yet done the sanding but in wake of this, nasty coronavirus, that is spreading like global widefire, I shall use this mask if necessary when going outside in vast populated areas as how am I to know when this coronavirus is to mutate into airborne? It makes my skin crawl it does. :(

87641354_10157896453845149_1300243727582756864_o (1).jpg

Last edited:

andySu

Senior HTF Member
All that I know is that if I'm ever directed to self-isolate for two weeks, toilet paper is not something I'm going to want to have to go without. :)
Well you can use newspapers plenty of it in rubbish bins outside.
Technique to it is crap of course you and we all know that part. Then get a tissue a Big type one and wet it, then wipe ass then take another Big tissue Kitchen roll is great! Then wipe ass dry and now your ass is possibly best clean as possible.
You can use the shower handle to wash ass or get one of those ass washers that you sit over. Well what is wrong with that huh? Just remember to wash your hands afterwards, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks