What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I had a coworker of mine get exposed via the spouse of his wife's ex, who they share custody with. He was pretty sure he had a mild case, starting last Wednesday with fevers and not much else. It quickly progressed to him having horrible aches, sore throat and spitting up blood. His breathing became strained that night, and he was on the verge of going in to the hospital. They turned him away on the phone because he was still able to breath without assistance. Luckily, as of this morning he's turned the corner, but as a healthy guy in his early 40's he has said he has never been so scared in his life, and was convinced his life was in danger at the worst stages.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Apparently he isn't taking all of the ventilators. He also keeps talking about distributing resources so if there is a large outbreak in rural New York he will ship some back to them.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I highly doubt this is going to wait to strike rural New York until New York City is through it. So all our hospitals are going to see when we need these shortly is going to be cash to put a down payment on for ventilators yet to be produced that won't be here until it's too late.

I better step out for for a while from this thread before I cross the line with my thoughts on Mr. Cuomo. Good luck to my friends at the HTF forum. You and your families will be in my prayers and hopefully we'll soon be able to get back to just talking about pleasant things like movies, television shows, home theater setups, pets, etc.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Please if this is too political or some how offensive, delete this entry:
I am really afraid things are going to get ugly! 3M is being prevented from exporting medical masks. Our guy in his daily address said he wanted to remind everyone that there are hundreds of nurses who cross the border to Detroit to work there every day!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"We're all in this together"
That should be the title of my Saturday morning graphs:

Saturday morning fun with numbers. Measured rate of growth of COVID-19 cases in USA has slowied substantially the past week. Doubling time is doubled, 2.5 to 5 days. Presumably this is a result of national social distancing / self quarantine.

upload_2020-4-4_8-31-8.png

upload_2020-4-4_8-31-13.png

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here in the UK some so-called experts are saying lockdown is a mistake and would ultimately do more damage to the country than the virus itself.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-boris-johnson-urged-reconsider-230814319.html

They are basically saying the elderly should be allowed to die and the younger generation will appreciate their sacrifice. :eek:

They are suggesting 'herd immunity' as the best option.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...on-what-vaccine-immune-covid-19-a9397871.html

I know that's not your opinion personally so I am not responding to you...

However, try selling that idea to people...

"Parents and Grandparents have to die in order to save everyone else."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Isn’t that essentially or literally what the gvnr of Texas said, or one of the governors?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve never wanted to yell at someone as badly as this morning. I got my wife’s car serviced at Toyota and had to run into Kroger for a few things. There was a larger than normal number of people trying to crowd through the store. In the middle of it all was a couple strolling leisurely along, the husband pushing the buggy and stopping to pick up everything and read the back of the package. His wife trailed behind him, red faced with a flop sweat and open mouth coughing almost non-stop. What the actual hell is wrong with people?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
In looking for rays of hope, I'm going to hang my hat onto this... Italy seems to have leveled off over the past week. Spain's graph looks much the same.

CF4C7488-7DF9-426D-BE90-6929C1C2F5B6.jpeg

The US is about 2 weeks behind them, so if we follow the same pattern, we could see a leveling in 2 weeks, which is exactly what models are showing (a peak around April 15-16).

If anything, it will feel a little better when we are in that position...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Isn’t that essentially or literally what the gvnr of Texas said, or one of the governors?
It's hard to keep track of what monster said what monstrous thing yesterday let alone a few weeks ago but the horrific idea of "Old people will have to die so their grandchildren don't have to live with a bad economy" was definitely said by people on national TV. No doubt people that selfish more specifically meant that other people's parents or grandparents will have to die and not theirs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here in the UK some so-called experts are saying lockdown is a mistake and would ultimately do more damage to the country than the virus itself.
Here’s a short summary of the counterpoint.

“A better way to defeat the virus and restore the economy - The Washington Post”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/26/better-way-defeat-virus-restore-economy/
This brings us to the approach we call “Surrender” — namely, that we should just let the disease run its course, accepting the death toll, to reboot the economy sooner rather than later.
Even on narrowly economic grounds, that’s the wrong way to go. Credible estimates say that in the absence of mitigation strategies, 60 percent of the population would be infected and 2 million Americans would die. The dollar value conventionally assigned to the loss of a human life in the United States by economists and government agencies is $5 million to $10 million. Using a conventional cost-benefit framework, this policy path would cost our economy around $10 trillion to $20 trillion — more than either Freeze or Mobilization.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200404.png

(earlier dates available here)

3,565 confirmed fatalities -- 630 of which occurred just yesterday. Tenth consecutive day of triple-digit increases.

In good news:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks