What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Some very exciting news out of California. I just hope this can get through safety testing and into compassionate use ASAP:

Monoclonal antibodies are actually a proven and "old" methodology, they have just taken a long time to develop historically. The key breakthrough here was not reinventing the wheel, but using the SARS antibodies already developed, and starting with those. Without their computational immunology engine to "rejigger" those antibodies to work on SARS-CoV2 I don't think this would have gone anywhere.

The good news is that monoclonal antibody treatments are widely used today throughout the world, from Alzheimer's to Cancers of all sorts and even Ebola. I am a skeptic, but this really does sound promising.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
60 minutes did a news report two weeks ago where they visited a lab that was working on a vaccine.

For the most part, it was suggested that at the earliest, we are a year away from a vaccine.

However, there have been a lot of stories popping up giving us hope that we may find a solution sooner.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
60 minutes did a news report two weeks ago where they visited a lab that was working on a vaccine.

For the most part, it was suggested that at the earliest, we are a year away from a vaccine.

I posted a link earlier that said even 18 months is too optimistic. Previous vaccines took like 4-5 years to make, or even longer.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hell, about half the people in my grocery store this morning were wearing masks. Even more were wearing gloves.

In the three days since I went in the local grocery store, they mounted large plexiglass "sneeze guards" in front of the cashiers.

But only in front. If I turn around, I could still cough directly on the cashier at the register behind me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I wonder how they would enforce it. Remove the items from the store? Force a checkout person to take items out of your cart/basket/hands?
Best Buy stores in my area have adopted an approach similar to this. They have placed numbered signs above designated parking spots. You either call ahead to inquire/place your order or you relay it to the employees waiting out front. If you use the former method your order should be ready when you arrive and delivered to your vehicle. If you use the latter method then an employee goes inside and brings out the items that meet your stated criteria and you select what you want to purchase. No one is allowed in the actual store.

The problem is, as I see it, this will never be over until everyone is vaccinated.

That's it alright. We're not setup for mandatory common sense enforcement in the US but we made need to consider it in this case.

I find that many in the US have so isolated themselves and learn so little about the rest of the world that they continuously persist in the unfounded belief that they live in the “best country in the world”, whereas they are just living in a country like many others.
We live 30 minutes from the border. The lack of knowledge of many Americans is legendary — like crossing into Canada in July and August and asking for directions to the nearest ski hill.

Damn, @TJPC - Are you having a bad day? When you make your trip across the border do you do it in a Canadian car? Get real.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I find that many in the US have so isolated themselves and learn so little about the rest of the world that they continuously persist in the unfounded belief that they live in the “best country in the world”, whereas they are just living in a country like many others.
We live 30 minutes from the border. The lack of knowledge of many Americans is legendary — like crossing into Canada in July and August and asking for directions to the nearest ski hill.

More generally, I've found this to be the case for anybody and/or social groups which are very insular.

For example when I first met my israeli relatives, they had no idea what the world outside of israel was like. Similar story with various in-laws that never left the region they lived in all their lives (such as small towns, etc ...).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Vaccine is at least 12-18 months away. Treatment may be available sooner but not the vaccine.
I'm definitely not an anti-vaxxer but if they just ran a vaccine through without proper testing, I'd have some serious doubts about having it injected into me. Those guidelines are there for a reason so they'd probably have to tell me that I was definitely going to die in the next five minutes to get me to take it if came on the market in two months or something. I'll let some other people go first and let time pass to see what happens to them before I'd take it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to post a link to a story that probably violates some HTF policies, but instead I'll just say this...

If the stupid decisions being made only impacted the idiots making those decisions then I wouldn't give it a second thought, but these decisions and policies affect everyone and I can only hope that these actions aren't buried in the memory hole when we come out the other side of this pandemic. It is my fervent desire that some measure of accountability is applied at some future date.

- Walter.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Re: the shortage of masks: at this point only N-95 (and greater) masks can filter the virus out, and even then it needs to be sanitized regularly and a perfect seal has to be formed. And quite honestly, these should go to healthcare professionals treating patients, not us.

So what the rest of us are left with are the various "procedural" masks that you used to be able to get at CVS, Rite-Aid, etc. but are now out of stock. Again, the primary thing here is that it keeps your droplets from shooting out up to 2m (and further) if you cough or sneeze...and especially now with the new guidance, breathe or talk. It doesn't prevent viruses from coming in. But if everyone is wearing one, and social distancing, handwashing, etc. is observed, it should greatly decrease the chance that each of us will get infected.

Here's the good news: you don't actually need a procedural mask to gain these benefits. Peruse the web to find instructions on how to make any sort of makeshift mask based on what you may have at home. Handkerchiefs. Scarves. Bandannas. Hell, cut up old cotton white shirts (I have a few cotton undershirts that are starting to have holes in the armpits which I would normally toss...guess what they're becoming?).

Neither the procedural mask, nor these home-made solutions will filter out the virus. But if applied and worn properly, they'll keep each of our respiratory droplets to ourselves. And at this point, that's the best we can hope for, coupled with proper handwashing, refraining from touching your face, disinfecting high-touch surfaces (door knobs, light switches, etc.).

The good news is that the medical experts agree that this is not a "supervirus" meaning one that's resistant to cleaning agents. It's very susceptible to most of the solutions that have been shown to "kill viruses". So if we do all of the things we have in our power to do, we can definitely increase our chance of getting through this pandemic. And the more of us that do it, the better our odds get.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...and I can only hope that these actions aren't buried in the memory hole when we come out the other side of this pandemic. It is my fervent desire that some measure of accountability is applied at some future date.
Maybe I'm a sucker or maybe it's from watching things like The Twilight Zone or Breaking Bad but I want to believe that we live in a universe where justice is eventually meted out. At a minimum, history will be unrelentingly brutal.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Can we stop bashing Americans as I pick up a similar sentiment from other posts by you. We ain't perfect, but neither is any other country. I find your post very insulting!
Sorry, it of course was not my attention to insult with what I considered gentle criticism. I have many direct connections to the US. My sister is an American, and she and her family live just outside Chicago. All our vacations are in the US and I lived in Windsor near Detroit until I was in my early 20s.

Canadians are surrounded by American culture through everything from TV shows, TV news and movies to magazines etc., but we are a step removed, not better of course.

My response was to the entry before mine. It stated that the person could not believe that this virus could happen in the USA. My point was, I guess, is that some Americans should realize that they are part of the world. I am getting concerned by the isolationist sentiment that many are now adopting.

I wonder if people would be upset with what I said if I lived below the 49th//?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My response was to the entry before mine. It stated that the person could not believe that this virus could happen in the USA. My point was, I guess, is that some Americans should realize that they are part of the world. I am getting concerned by the isolationist sentiment that many are now adopting.

I wonder if people would be upset with what I said if I lived below the 49th//?
We won't talk about politics on this forum. However, throughout the history of the United States, some Americans might talk about isolationism, but in the end, most Americans do realized that they're part of this small world of ours as we endure the bad times and then celebrate the good times as the human race. Just remember that famous quote attributed to Winston Churchill about Americans.:)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was thinking about the people who say the average person will not be impacted by this virus. I was watching Chris Cuomo and his experience and also read other people's experiences.

Let's forget the death rate and that it's a much much higher rate than the flu. Let's forget the 1-2-3% and the fact that anyone could die, even teenagers. That could not be me!

Then there is the 20%, where you go to the hospital, you can't breath, you are suffocating. That's 1 out of 5. It's like Russian roulette and you might say I'm ok with that. Not to mention that I have read if you go to the hospital and later recover, you will not be good as before. Your lungs will be damaged. But we might say that's only 1 out of 5, that doesn't happen to me.

Then there is the 80%. Some of these people who stay at home and are the lucky ones, go through a hell of a bad time, like 10 days with bad fever, losing weight, hallucinating.

I don't know for you but I thought I didn't want to be in the 20%. Well as it turns out, I don't even want to be in the 80%!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Re: the shortage of masks:
Here's the good news: you don't actually need a procedural mask to gain these benefits. Peruse the web to find instructions on how to make any sort of makeshift mask based on what you may have at home. Handkerchiefs. Scarves. Bandannas. Hell, cut up old cotton white shirts (I have a few cotton undershirts that are starting to have holes in the armpits which I would normally toss...guess what they're becoming?).

Neither the procedural mask, nor these home-made solutions will filter out the virus. But if applied and worn properly, they'll keep each of our respiratory droplets to ourselves. And at this point, that's the best we can hope for, coupled with proper handwashing, refraining from touching your face, disinfecting high-touch surfaces (door knobs, light switches, etc.)

There are such uses of HEPA vacuum filters that seem much more promising than most other DIY masks... though some are pointing out the fiberglass fibers used in many such filters can be an issue for breathing -- some suggest using a (extra) layer of cloth to filter them out.

https://mikeshouts.com/doctor-explains-how-to-make-the-safest-face-mask/amp/

https://www.primalsurvivor.net/homemade-n95-respirator-mask/

https://www.instructables.com/id/HEPA-Vacuum-Bag-Mask/

_Man_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks