What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is where I was vacationing last month in Aruba. As someone who loves Aruba and has visited for many years (my avatar is the Aruba sunset), this video really made me rather emotional. The economy in Aruba is almost completely based on tourism, so I'd imagine they're quite desperate for this to be over. They mention they're hoping the first flights back to Aruba will be on May 6, but that seems optimistic (Aruba prohibited all tourists from entering the country starting on March 17; I left on the 16th).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, there's been talk that MLB may try to restart games w/out fan attendance asap once deemed safe enough for players, et al and maybe/probably TV crews whenever that will be. TV revenues probably constitute at least 1/2 of MLB revenues (at least for revenues tied directly to games played), so they'd certainly want to have games played even in front of empty stadiums, if possible.

_Man_

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The US has more than 200,000 cases of coronavirus. And carriers who don't feel sick are fueling the spread

• New data from Iceland shows 50% of those who tested positive said they were asymptomatic.
  • In the US, an estimated 25% of coronavirus carriers have no symptoms, said the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
  • White House officials predict more than 100,000 people could die from coronavirus -- and that's if the public practices social distancing guidelines perfectly. By mid-April, when the virus is projected to hit the country the hardest, as many as 2,000 Americans could die each day, a model cited by the White House shows.
It's unbelievable that a country wide "Stay at Home" has not been issued yet. Later if issued, the people who are already at home will be like double punished.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
FWIW, there's been talk that MLB may try to restart games w/out fan attendance asap once deemed safe enough for players, et al and maybe/probably TV crews whenever that will be. TV revenues probably constitute at least 1/2 of MLB revenues (at least for revenues tied directly to games played), so they'd certainly want to have games played even in front of empty stadiums, if possible.

_Man_
Despise that idea- I won’t watch or listen to baseball until the fans are allowed back into
the stadiums. It just doesn’t smell right to host
games/events, and exclude the loyal fans.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Despise that idea- I won’t watch or listen to baseball until the fans are allowed back into
the stadiums. It just doesn’t smell right to host
games/events, and exclude the loyal fans.
I've read that sentiment elsewhere and there is no way I can abide by such logic because the nation needs more diversion and live sports being played on the TV will provide that in my opinion.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d be concerned about the unintentional spread of the virus that these games could cause. Presumably you’ve got the 25 man roster, the extra 15 for the 40 man roster, coaches, managers and trainers, support staff, drivers, caterers, all of that, and they’re crisscrossing the country back and forth, staying in different towns, going to and from areas that have had major outbreaks to ones that haven’t, with a virus that you can get and pass on while never realizing you even had it?

This sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The town of New Rochelle, NY, was so hard hit by this because they had one resident who acquired the virus on a trip to another area and brought it back. Thousands infected in a chain that started with one person in the community.

This doesn’t seem remotely close to a good idea.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’d be concerned about the unintentional spread of the virus that these games could cause. Presumably you’ve got the 25 man roster, the extra 15 for the 40 man roster, coaches, managers and trainers, support staff, drivers, caterers, all of that, and they’re crisscrossing the country back and forth, staying in different towns, going to and from areas that have had major outbreaks to ones that haven’t, with a virus that you can get and pass on while never realizing you even had it?

This sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The town of New Rochelle, NY, was so hard hit by this because they had one resident who acquired the virus on a trip to another area and brought it back. Thousands infected in a chain that started with one person in the community.

This doesn’t seem remotely close to a good idea.
Who knows how its going to be come June/July. The leagues have to plan on playing at some time, but if the virus doesn't let up and they can't play then they'll make that decision. This applies to all team sports.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I continue to be aghast at the deaths associated with COVID-19. I guess one of the most troubling aspects of this for me is cases like the one I linked where people should still have a lot of years in front of them and are taken away. Seems profoundly wrong when folks are checking out decades before the average life expectancy. (And yeah, I know it is one thing or another that is going to get everyone; but damn!)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/entertainment/adam-schlesinger-dead/index.html

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200401.png

(earlier dates available here)

1,941 confirmed fatalities -- 391‬‬ of which occurred just yesterday. Seventh consecutive day of triple-digit increases.

The rate of confirmed cases is starting to curve, however. Based on the rate cases were increasing as of March 19th, I projected that the state would be up to 100,000 cases by March 29th. The actual number was a little over half that.

In grim news, under the best-case scenario presented yesterday by the federal government, more Americans will die from the coronavirus in the weeks and months to come than died in the Korean and Vietnam Wars combined.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/health/us-coronavirus-face-masks.html

reporting...
wrt possible revised guidance on wearing facemasks

asymptomatic carriers being upwards of 30% of confirmed cases

carriers shed virus for 48 hours before symptoms (vs the 14 days I've seen stated)
The 14 days was the upper end for evincing symptoms after being infected. I believe we stated earlier that maximum contagiousness was believed to be 2 to 3 days before showing symptoms.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Which is what some here even said early in this thread. :eek:
I think that's basically gone at this point. I'd imagine that mostly came from two places- the typical American sense of imperviousness or they listened to high profile people that chose to downplay the severity of the threat.

I freely admit to that sense of imperviousness because I would have NEVER thought that something like this would happen here. It wasn't until my state's governor closed schools and businesses around me that I started to recognize the seriousness of the problem. On the plus side, I never go out so I was already socially isolating. :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I find that many in the US have so isolated themselves and learn so little about the rest of the world that they continuously persist in the unfounded belief that they live in the “best country in the world”, whereas they are just living in a country like many others.
We live 30 minutes from the border. The lack of knowledge of many Americans is legendary — like crossing into Canada in July and August and asking for directions to the nearest ski hill.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I find that many in the US have so isolated themselves and learn so little about the rest of the world that they continuously persist in the unfounded belief that they live in the “best country in the world”, whereas they are just living in a country like many others.
We live 30 minutes from the border. The lack of knowledge of many Americans is legendary — like crossing into Canada in July and August and asking for directions to the nearest ski hill.
Can we stop bashing Americans as I pick up a similar sentiment from other posts by you. We ain't perfect, but neither is any other country. I find your post very insulting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks