What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200326.png

(earlier dates available here)

385 confirmed fatalities -- 100 of which occurred just yesterday.

After indications that the curve might be bending, we've been holding at around a 20 percent increase in the number of cases for the last three days:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200326_chart.png

Albany County was only able to test 93 people yesterday, but 19 of those people (over 20 percent!) tested positive.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Trivial in comparison to what’s going on here, but was watching the WPIX 11:30 episode of Seinfeld last night. going by episode order last night’s should have been “The Bubble Boy” but they skipped over that to the next episode. Only reason I could think of was because the story revolves around a kid with a highly compromised immune system. Got me thinking, has it really got this far where someone at WPIX made a conscious decision to pull an old syndicated Seinfeld episode over it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“What I Learned When My Husband Got Sick With Coronavirus - The New York Times”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/magazine/coronavirus-family.html?referringSource=articleShare
Now we live in a world in which I have planned with his doctor which emergency room we should head to if T suddenly gets worse, a world in which I am suddenly afraid we won’t have enough of the few things tempering the raging fever and soaking sweats and severe aches wracking him — the Advil and Tylenol that the doctors advise us to layer, one after the other, and that I scroll through websites searching for, seeing “out of stock” again and again. We are living inside the news stories of testing, quarantine, shortages and the disease’s progression. A friend scours the nearby stores and drops off a bunch of bodega packets of Tylenol. Another finds a bottle at a more remote pharmacy and drops it off, a golden prize I treasure against the feverish nights to come.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been away from this thread on purpose as the news has been just so bad.

Sorry to hear that you’ve been ill Adam. I hope that you and your mom are getting better and will have a full recovery.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Found this on the CNN website. Someone at our local post office said she was doing something like this to make her own hand sanitizer, but I didn't know the "recipe":

Q: The stores are all out of disinfectant sprays and hand sanitizer. Can I make my own?
A: Yes, you can make your own disinfectant if you’re trying to kill coronavirus on a non-porous surface.

“Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted,” the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.The CDC’s recipe calls for diluting 5 tablespoons (or ⅓ cup) of bleach per gallon of water, or 4 teaspoons of bleach per quart of water.

You can also make your own hand sanitizer. The Nebraska Medical Center – famous for its biocontainment unit and treatment of Ebola patients – offers this recipe:

What you’ll need:
  • 2/3 cup 91% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
  • 1/3 cup aloe vera gel
  • Mixing bowl
  • Spoon or something for whisking
  • Small container, such as a 3 oz. travel bottle
  • Optional: essential oil to give your hand sanitizer a fragrance
Directions:
In a mixing bowl, stir isopropyl alcohol and aloe vera gel together until well blended.
Add 8-10 drops of scented essential oil (optional, but nice!). Stir to incorporate.
Pour the homemade hand sanitizer into an empty container and seal.
Write “hand sanitizer” on a piece of masking tape and affix to the bottle.

Seems like you'd need a bottle bigger than 3 oz, or several of the smaller bottles. Or save any empty containers of hand sanitizer and refill them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The only problem is finding bleach and 91% isopropyl alcohol as those two items are as difficult to purchase as the disinfectant spray and hand sanitizers. Most of the stores are out of stock.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I'll be 50 this year. And, I'm glad that I did some travelling when I was younger, partied somewhat, and definitely lived life to some extent, etc. I.e., though I now wish I had done a lot more, at least I did some things that I wanted to do.

However, I really feel bad for the younger folks/kids out there who haven't fully lived their life yet. Because, due to this pandemic the way people interact with each other (socializing, dating, etc.), travelling/vacations, the way businesses/corporations operate, etc. will be completely changed forever - and not for the better.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
However, I really feel bad for the younger folks/kids out there who haven't fully lived their life yet. Because, due to this pandemic the way people interact with each other (socializing, dating, etc.), travelling/vacations, the way businesses/corporations operate, etc. will be completely changed forever - and not for the better.

I suspect similar comments were made during the Spanish Flu pandemic 100 years ago. Humanity got over it and went right back to its "reckless" ways.

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I suspect similar comments were made during the Spanish Flu pandemic 100 years ago. Humanity got over it and went right back to its "reckless" ways.

Mark
Yeah, I'm not sure there will be any long term changes to behavior, especially if a vaccine is developed or we're able to go for some extended period without an outbreak.

People have short memories.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Mark

Mark, I’m not sure why the quote in your post is showing with my name - I think that’s Drifter’s comment you’ve cited.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Apparently, washing your hands with soap and water is just as effective as these sanitizers.

This may have come up already. Toronto, learning from SARS, wanted to be prepared for the next outbreak, so hospitals stockpiled a large supply of surgical masks. When they went to use them they found they were past their best before date. This meant the elastics were brittle and would snap when they tried to use them. They had to be thrown out.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think things will definitely go back to normal after a vaccine or treatment is found. The only difference would be that we will be on high alert. If in the news reports come out that there is something new happening somewhere, then people will be careful or stop going places which I think is the right thing to do. You can't live like this or in fear 24/7.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it’s way too early to know what, if any, changes we’ll see. It could be absolutely nothing. It could be something as little as temperature screeners at airports and other high traffic venues as some countries were already doing before the pandemic. It’s looking like the rest of the developed world is taking a very different approach to protecting employment and economy than the U.S. is, which may result in vastly different outcomes for how different countries go back to life afterwards. That may be a bigger factor in the end to what changes and what stays the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks