What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That’s why they really need to get the serologic tests worked out and FDA approved asap so there can be much more testing done to get a much better sense of the actual situation.

_Man_

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Yep. And it’s the 14 day lag part that makes it hard to see the effect that social distancing is having. It’s probably going to take three weeks of distancing to cause a bend in the curve and with our test coverage being the way it has been, it may be difficult to see a bend in the curve even if it happens.

China’s extreme lockdown took about two months to squash things. Our piece-meal lockdowns with travel permitted between various areas is likely to take a lot longer. Ideally we would do a universal lockdown and ramp up the testing capacity to do tracking/quarantine/containment properly after the first phase dies down.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What are the stats now? Is it 3 days or 14 days of contagiousness before feeling symptoms? I'm very low on news this week.
As Mike said, it's a range -- anywhere from 3 to 14 days. I believe 5 day is the average.

And what I understand, people are contagious both for most of the period after infection but before symptoms and up to eight days after manifesting symptoms. So there's potentially a three week period in the most extreme cases where people could be contagious.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I saw an article where it said the virus was still detectable in one case 37 days after they’d stopped showing symptoms. The article didn’t have any information on whether they were contagious over that period. It makes me think that these cases you hear about reinfection may just be the lingering virus flaring up again.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I hope they throw the book at her! Even if she's mentally ill, she needs to be locked up for a while.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/us/woman-coughed-on-produce-trnd/index.html
Yes I just read about this. Even if some think this is all an overreaction, why would anyone spoil or destroy $35,000 of much needed food because they think they’re right, and everyone else is wrong? Make these pieces of shit pay full restitution- this will come to a stop in a hurry.
Too many morally bankrupt people in our society.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Turns out the executive order that was claimed to protect those 70 and over in New York State isn't actually enforceable. The attorney's general's office has told me it's just a suggestion. :(

What the heck is the point? It's quite possibly going to harm my family now since the protection we were told was there, isn't.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Turns out the executive order that was claimed to protect those 70 and over in New York State isn't actually enforceable. The attorney's general's office has told me it's just a suggestion. :(

What the heck is the point? It's quite possibly going to harm my family now since the protection we were told was there, isn't.

This is so infuriating and upsetting on so many levels. To survive this pandemic, mere suggestions simply aren't going to cut it! :(

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Honestly, I don't know why anyone should think that's actually enforceable.

We're not an authoritarian nation/state afterall. And our Constitution and civil rights aren't (and shouldn't be) shredded so easily.

Pretty sure that's partly why both the fed and state govts have been slow to mandate anything in all this -- they basically need to persuade the masses to abide, and that won't really happen by force. That's also largely why they could never really do (and didn't bother trying) what's been done in East Asia to stem the pandemic -- even East Asians wouldn't be quick to submit if it's not a significant part of their largely homogeneous cultural and national inclination, which don't exist here.

_Man_

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes I just read about this. Even if some think this is all an overreaction, why would anyone spoil or destroy $35,000 of much needed food because they think they’re right, and everyone else is wrong? Make these pieces of shit pay full restitution- this will come to a stop in a hurry.
Too many morally bankrupt people in our society.
They said she was being tested, so I'm not quite understanding why they had to trash it all immediately. I'd think they could remove it, store it somewhere, and wait and see if she was really infected before just wasting that much food. Anything that was wrapped/packaged, at a minimum.

Some of these people are being charged as terrorists:

People who threatened to spread the virus charged with terrorism
The Department of Justice affirmed Wednesday that people who intentionally spread the novel coronavirus could be charged with terrorism.
Officials across the states are taking threats of spreading coronavirus seriously. Earlier this week, a New Jersey man who police said purposely coughed on a grocery store employee and said he had coronavirus was charged with making "terroristic threats." It was not clear whether the man had a lawyer, the state's attorney general said.
And in Missouri, a 26-year-old man was charged this week with making a terrorist threat after he was filmed in early March licking sticks of deodorant at a Walmart, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. In a video, the man asks, "Who's scared of coronavirus?" the newspaper reported.
That man's attorney called the action "immature ... tasteless and impulsive" but said it happened before the World Health Organization declared the virus a pandemic, the Post-Dispatch reported. That declaration "should not work retroactively and convert a tasteless and impulsive act into a criminal terrorist threat," the lawyer told the paper.
According to a Justice Department memo, the virus meets the criteria for a "biological agent," and threatening to spread it or "use Covid-19 as a weapon against Americans" could constitute a terrorist threat.
from cnn.com

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just saw a segment on CNN about clinical trials involving a Dr. Garibaldi. First thought was - what does the security chief for Babylon 5 have to do with COVID-19 and clinical trials? :)

( I actually believe it is the first time I've ever heard about anyone in real life with that surname.)

- Walter.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
They said she was being tested, so I'm not quite understanding why they had to trash it all immediately.
Malcolm, take heart, for the response and procedures of the grocery store were both correct and mandatory.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So the other day I made a remark using the turn of phrase about it looking scary “out my window” to speak metaphorically about NYC as a whole.

Well, today I can actually stay it’s scary on my block. As I mentioned in that earlier post, there’s a hospital at the corner of my block.

While I was bringing out the trash, I saw that the street from in front of the hospital to my apartment building has been closed, and multiple giant tents have been set up in the road. Crews were out there moving beds and equipment inside them.

So it’s Thursday and we’re out of space in the actual hospital building.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
They said she was being tested, so I'm not quite understanding why they had to trash it all immediately. I'd think they could remove it, store it somewhere, and wait and see if she was really infected before just wasting that much food. Anything that was wrapped/packaged, at a minimum.

Some of these people are being charged as terrorists:

I hope every dipsheet that isn't taking the situation seriously ends up getting tossed in a jail cell as a terrorist. Let them rot in there until this is all over.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Good tips on sanitizing grocery food and take out.

That is exactly what I've been doing for the last few weeks. We happened to get lucky and bought a bunch of Clorox sanitizing wipes at Costco in January. At the rate we are going, I think we have enough wipes to last about 2 months. I'm hopeful that they'll be more readily available again by then. Otherwise, Lysol is in the cabinet.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks