What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Kind of scary. I'm 46, and noticed I have had respiratory difficulty since Wednesday. Same thing, labored breathing for no reason. Especially when I lay down on my back, it feels like a weight on my chest.
I haven't noticed any other symptoms, which is why I'm not more afraid.

It's possible to be infected with the virus and NOT have a fever (CNN compared two individuals infected with the virus a few days ago and one never had any fever but he also didn't have any breathing difficulty). However, if you had the virus, it seems HIGHLY unlikely that you wouldn't have a fever if you were suffering labored breathing due to the virus.

The shortness of breath happens when the virus attacks the cells in the lower part of the lungs. And when that happens your body will mount a defense to stop the virus (which is how antibodies get created). That immune system response is what causes fever.

So... folks with lungs that are under attack by the virus are highly likely to have fever.

Shortness of breath with NO fever is unlikely to be due to the novel coronavirus.

I am not a doctor.

Concern and anxiety can easily cause some level of breathing difficulties. I know, because I've had it happen to me. But I realize it is anxiety related when I immerse myself into some activity that takes my mind off of whatever it is I might be concerned about. Suddenly, when my mind is fully distracted, I realize my breathing symptoms have gone away.

Maybe take a break from reading these threads and even watching the news. Go for a walk (if outdoor conditions permit), watch a movie (maybe not 'Contagion') or read a book.

Mark

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kind of scary. I'm 46, and noticed I have had respiratory difficulty since Wednesday. Same thing, labored breathing for no reason. Especially when I lay down on my back, it feels like a weight on my chest.
I think some minor symptoms similar to the virus can just be a function of being shut inside for so long, especially in northern climates where you have to keep all the windows shut and the heat on. The air inside becomes stale, dry, and probably not very healthy. I often have some mild symptoms during the cold winter months in any given year such as dry coughs, chest tightness, nasal congestion, etc.

But if they get worse, or are accompanied by a fever, definitely consider seeking medical assistance.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Friends' adult kid in 20's most likely has COVID-19 and they described the labored breathing as a symptom.

If you have reason to believe you have COVID-19, call your doctor. Or call a tele-health service if you have that. Report your condition. Don't be afraid. Do take care of your self and let your professional and personal support group know what's going on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m not trying to minimize the severity of this disease. And the reported cases are accurate to a point.

However, because they only represent tested cases, they, in all likelihood, are undercounts. And have been from the beginning. This means that any attempts to chart growth are not accurate. Its impossible to distinguish between new infections and just newly tested infections

Additionally, how many of the original negative tested have been retested to determine if they have now caught it.
As a I said to a friend making a similar comment: It will be darkly funny in two weeks when I learn I was actually fitting the exponential growth in testing availability. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200321.png

Two additional counties with confirmed cases: Oswego, Steuben

Fifty-three confirmed fatalities.

Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200321_chart.png

The numbers in Albany County more than doubled overnight, to 163. But the numbers likely aren't going to rise very quickly from here, because area hospitals are out of testing kits.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not a medical professional, and don't know exactly how they're screening who to test and who not to test, but it seems like they may be testing many people that do not need it.

In my state, the last numbers I heard were 29 positive cases but over 800 negative tests. Seems like a lot of tests performed that might not have been necessary, and could have been saved for more troubling cases.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In New York City they’ve announced that they’re restricting testing further because it’s reached a point where too many potentially ill people who are not yet showing symptoms or in need of care are moving around in public too much trying to find a test.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
'Bachelor' Star Colton Underwood Tests Positive for Coronavirus

colton_underwood.jpg

"I'm 28, I consider myself pretty healthy. I workout regularly, I eat healthy. And I became symptomatic a few days ago," he shared in a post on his social media. "Got my test results back today and they are positive. And it's been kicking my ass, just to put it very bluntly."

Underwood described symptoms like not being able walk up a flight of stairs or to the bathroom without getting exhausted.

"The reason I'm sharing this is not to cause fear or panic but to hopefully encourage you guys to stay at home, do your part," he said. "Take care of yourselves, take care of one another."

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They are approaching testing differently here.

If you think you have symptoms - call your doctor or a hospital or do an on-online screening. DO NOT go to the doctor's office, clinic, or emergency room. If the doctor/hospital staff/screening determine you may need to be tested you'll be set up with one of several facilities specifically chosen for this. At your appointment time you'll drive to the designated facility and *call* them to let them know you've arrived. Someone will come out to your car to perform the needed test process and you'll drive home. They'll call when the results are available.

So... if people actually listen and do this it should help everyone.

Two days ago our mayor ordered all restaurants to close their dining rooms. It's pickup or delivery only. Several have begun to offer curb service that formerly were dine-in only. We currently have 1 reported case in the county.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm not a medical professional, and don't know exactly how they're screening who to test and who not to test, but it seems like they may be testing many people that do not need it.

Not sure what others may be doing but we require a recommendation from a medical Dr. for testing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Is there a real medical doctor who is a member on the forum? I thought there was. Might be nice for insight.

On another topic, the thread is getting a little grim, but the content is needed. DaveF, that’s some impressive number crunching you;re doing, I don’t understand how you’re doing, but I get what you’re saying.

I was thinking it might be good if there’s another thread for how we cope with the situation. Talking about feeling bad, I don’t think I’m sick, but I feel some muscular aches and I’m thinking it’s more do to anxiety and being constantly tense. I’m used to being at home a lot and I spent a few years working at home freelancing. So I have a home office all set up to keep doing my job. But I was always free to go out and go to the store to buy food without fear.

I set up my road bicycle on a stationary trainer. I normally ride outside. While I can still do that for exercise, I’ve opted to stay inside. It’s been nice to take out a 1/2 a day to spin on the bike for exercise. I should so some weights too.

I’ve also thought about finally doing on-line banking to avoid the bank and buy an instant pot. So I need to learn how to cook with that, but still brave the pathogens at the grocery store.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was thinking it might be good if there’s another thread for how we cope with the situation. Talking about feeling bad, I don’t think I’m sick, but I feel some muscular aches and I’m thinking it’s more do to anxiety and being constantly tense. I’m used to being at home a lot and I spent a few years working at home freelancing. So I have a home office all set up to keep doing my job. But I was always free to go out and go to the store to buy food without fear.
Please, start the thread :)
https://kottke.org/20/03/some-peopl...ETMa1dP5yG202zs3IcNk1l2aBd1O_8xXTf_xE1d2BjHB8

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nelson, I had thought about doing a thread or a blog about coping at the Steinberg house, the whole package - what childcare is like, working from home, meal planning, entertainment, all of it. Part of me thinks it might be cathartic to share and part of me worried about boring the crap out of everyone.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave, I’ll think about how to best set up such a thread.

Josh, that sounds like a good idea. I think there’s people already doing blogs I bet on how they are dealing with the situation. Certainly the celebrities are doing concerts and Rose O’Donnell is doing a one time talk show on youtube live. Will be interesting as the guests will join by FaceTime or Skype.

If I start the thread on coping, you’re experiences could be very helpful to others. Especially for the cooking challenged.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that’s a wonderful idea Nelson and I’m happy to follow your lead on this. It’s strangely comforting to know that like minds are thinking alike :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks