1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time to talk about coronavirus?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Lots of good info and explanations in that video. :thumbsup:

Michael Mathius and Sam Posten like this.
  2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    That’s not panic. It’s journalists doing their jobs of reporting the news. And a major new virus that is spreading globally, a la SARS, is news.

I guess I don’t understand the view that such news shouldn’t be reported.

B-ROLL, SamT, Tony Bensley and 3 others like this.
  3. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Oh wow, my Mom is also 90 years old and does not go out either, other than doctor appointments. My concern extends to her overnight aide, who also works in a nursing home. I now make her wash her hands as soon as she gets in, before she even says Hello to my Mom.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Well, my work has canceled all business travel. No vendors fly in. No one flies to vendors.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    My work canceled all overseas business travel early this week.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  7. YANG

YANG Supporting Actor

Had you do a deeper study those whom are dead by the "infection", what kind of age group are they belong to?
    Look it at this way... If you look back, every single year, there are more deaths due to sickness during winter season. People in the tropics are not spared. However, there are much more deaths in the cold regions than those in the tropics.
    Look at Australia, they are now in summer and yes there are reported case of infections. However, should we look into the identity of the infected person reported by the Australian health authority, that person is a traveler from Mainland China. And there wasn't any death yet as well as community widespread. The reason? Hot climate vs cold climate.

What was the death rate back in States couple of years ago? Thousands? During Winter time? And what kind of name was given to that? Was there any travel ban imposed then? Non, right?

What i'm trying to point out is that should you look into those statistics or reported figures that keep updating every single while, the deaths are mostly the older folks whom are originally in the health frail state. And most of them are with chronic illness. The deaths on the young and younger age groups are not as much as those in the much fatal SARS period. And look at the figures again, those big numbers of infected people are from the cold regions, be it the Asia, Europe or American continent... which are still in the cold winter season.

Why was the economy get affected seriously this time? That's because of panic! People whom are ignorant to how sickness lingers, how sickness are spread, how sickness can be controlled... are bound to be infected. As for those whom are in frail state of health, will be the first line of victims to face the invasion of such virus.

I have no suggestions to folks whom are in the Winter region, however to those whom are in the hot climate region, my advise is that should you feel that you are having cold and stuffy nose, due to the current seasonal change of winter to spring, make sure you drink alot and perspire alot. Take food as spicy as possible to "agitate" the nasal fluid in your stuffy nose to flow out, blow off, such that you have a smooth respiratory air flow, to keep your system healthy. Of course, not to miss out, dispose that tissue paper that you had blown off correctly by flushing off thru toilet bowl...

8. YANG

YANG Supporting Actor

Besides just looking at the death figures, we need to look at the wider pictures on the numbers of the deaths in different region.
    SARS breakout was also around winter season back in late 2002, reaches it's peak somewhere around mid March 2003, slowly dies off before 2004.

https://www.who.int/csr/sars/country/table2004_04_21/en/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome

Tony Bensley and ChristopherG like this.
  9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    We have just had our first possible outbreak reported in our County.

...and so it begins

Tony Bensley likes this.
  10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  11. Message #51 of 1142 Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    First U.S. death reported in Washington State within the past 30 minutes

Tony Bensley likes this.
  13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

You'd think a virus that has killed nearly 90,000 Americans alone in the past year or so might warrant more of a reaction (possibly 500,000 or more deaths worldwide every year). No one seems to care much about that virus or those deaths. There is an actual vaccine for influenza, yet many people cannot even be bothered to take it (like many in my family, mostly elderly for some reason, even though they're at highest risk for complications). Some think the vaccine will cause more issues than contracting the actual virus, so they take their chances and would apparently prefer to contract the flu virus than take the vaccine.

If a vaccine eventually becomes available for this coronavirus, will people actually take it?

LeoA, Tony Bensley and ChristopherG like this.
  15. Message #55 of 1142 Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    I’ve gotten the flu shot through my employer every year for the last 18 years. The only Ill effect I’ve ever experienced is a slightly sore arm at the point of the injection. For a day or two.
    Bring on the covid19 shot!

Also in those 18 years I’ve had the flu once.

16. Message #56 of 1142 Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    People very much care. That’s why every year a new vaccine is made for the predicted strains; large companies have onsite flu vaccinations; and so many people get vaccinations and encourage their friends and family to do the same. And I’ve seem increased efforts to help minimize spread of flu the past couple years. People know the flu is terrible and try to avoid it.

Yes, some people avoid the vaccine. I ignored it in my 20s. I was young and immortal and didn’t appreciate the severity of the flu. When I realized my friends with kids were highly effective vectors for all the diseases I started getting the flu vaccination. So there’s always the opportunity to educate people to reduce the harm the flu causes.

The worry with COVID-19 is that it may have a similar rate of spread, but kill 20x more people: 1,800,000 instead of 90,000.

But hopefully it isn’t that bad. I don’t want to overstate the risks, since we don’t yet know enough yet.

17. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    Sam Posten, Reggie W and Tony Bensley like this.
  18. usrunnr

usrunnr Writer

usrunnr
    For those people who refuse to get the flu shot, they should at least think of the people closest to them who might get the flu from them even if they were not sick and only carriers.

19. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    That's a very good article. Yes, for most of us no panic should be involved here. Worry, yes, for the elderly, children, those with immune system issues. I walked into my office yesterday afternoon and was confronted by everybody wanting to discuss this and hopefully I was able to calm most people. One person though discussed their elderly mother that has immune system issues and requires weekly shots to assist with that. Sadly, that woman is high risk and exactly the kind of person that could become a casualty of this outbreak. Awareness is vitally important though and I just said I believe she should be consulting with her doctors to get any special precautions that may help her ride this storm out.

Sam Posten and ChristopherG like this.
  20. Message #60 of 1142 Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    The death rate from coronavirus is higher than first thought, WHO says

The death rate from the novel coronavirus is higher than first thought, the World Health Organization has admitted.

“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” the organization’s director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said Tuesday — markedly higher than all the initial predictions.

So, this is serious, it's no hoax. Flu death rate is 0.1%. Coronavirus has a 35x more chance of killing someone.

Also Coronavirus spreads 1.5 times faster than Flu.

What I'm also sure is that do not believe that it kills only elderly people and very sick people. I have seen in the news young people of 25 years old and other people who look perfectly fine like me and you who have died of this. Nothing is overplayed.

B-ROLL, Tony Bensley and Sam Posten like this.