Is it time to talk about coronavirus?

SamT

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In France also they claimed today that they have found a drug that helps the very sick a lot.

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Mike, I recently retired.

All of my life savings were tied up in stocks.

I was living like a king these past 5 years as the market continued to rise.

About two weeks ago when the market started sliding, I had my financial advisor cash out all my investments. He put me in cast.....
Ron,
Thanks for the advice. I am partially in a similar situation, but with a difference. I retired in December, 2018 at 55. I have my 401k mostly tied up in various stock mutual funds. I also have a boatload of my old company's stocks because of various equity awards through the years.

But I am also just starting year 2 of a 5 year pension payout. That money has been going into various real estate REITs (I.e. one based on doctors offices, one based on self storage sites, etc), things that will generate income and are relatively recession proof (there will always be doctors offices and self-storage will be in more demand if there is a major downturn). Plan is to continue to invest in those types of things to provide an income after the pension payout completes, without ever having to dent the principle. Plan is to leave the 401k where it is until forced withdrawals start, so it is a long time horizon. Plan is to leave the company stock where it is until the pension payout completes, so I don’t get a big tax event while I am in a high bracket because of the pension payout.

Definitely need to keep an eye on things though, with the uncertainty that the virus is causing.

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
By the way, who because of all of this has recently bought a temperature scanner? :)

Never had one, so bought one of these new laser ones that you see on the news, no contact in front of your forehead. It has 3 brackets and according to the thermometer I must not be alive. I'm colder than the normal bracket!
I have two kids in elementary school (now home, of course) so we have had a temperature scanner for awhile. We take everyone’s temp every morning. So far so good.

Reactions: SamT

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
One of my son’s elementary school friends is a first generation immigrant from Iran. His grandmother back in Iran just passed away from the virus.:(

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
Don’t forget that home improvement, hardware, and office supply stores also sell cleaning and paper products.

Everyone with pets: make sure you have thought of them and have a 2-3 week kibble supply.

Reactions: LeoA

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Someone on the Hawthorne NV community FB page thought it was funny to report that looting had begun in Fernley (90 miles from Hawthorne and 25 miles from Reno/Sparks) and to "grab your guns." Not one of the local news stations had reported it, in fact all were running currently scheduled programming. I asked the poster to cite their source and then reported is as fake news to Facebook and the group admin. The post was quickly removed.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
For me it will either be very early or really late.
Depends on if I get to sleep or not.
My point is that I usually shop between 5-6 a.m. so I can have the store all to myself. It's not like that any longer as I never seen so many people in my store that early in the morning. It's going to get worse if Walmart is now closing at night and then opening at 6:00 a.m.

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Just went to two stores, and dog food sold out. I'm starting to worry.
Checked Amazon yesterday, everything was fine, but now many of the main brands of canned food are now sold out.. Checked E-Bay, and Amazon sellers-- and sure enough people scalping the stuff at two to three times normal price. Un--F^*+%#g believable.
Scalping concert tickets is one thing....food for a pet to stay alive is quite another.

I would like to scalp oxygen for these twisted monsters, and make them pay to breathe!!!

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200318.png

Four additional counties with confirmed cases: Essex, Hamilton, Warren, Washington

Twenty confirmed fatalities.

Over the last eleven days, the number of cases in NYS have gone up an average of 37.45 percent each day. Assuming that trend continues, the state will be over 10,000 cases by Monday, have more cases than the entire nation of Italy currently does a week from Friday, and over 100,000 cases by March 30th.

1,000-Bed Hospital Ship 'USNS Comfort' will be deployed to New York Harbor next month to increase the NYC metro area's hospital capacity.

Guidance for funeral directors (click to enlarge):
DOH_COVID19_FuneralGuidance_031720_pg1.jpg DOH_COVID19_FuneralGuidance_031720_pg2.jpg

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken S-B
Here in Australia the supermarkets are admitting only the frail and elderly from 7 to 8 am. Our Prime Minister as told us that hoarding is un-Australian. Sadly, it seems to make no difference to the selfish!

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Cuomo has generally been pretty good for the state in regards to this, but I don’t understand why he’s dragging his feet on imposing a shelter in place order for NYC. It feels very much like last week when he insisted that the schools wouldn’t close, and then they did.

I don’t understand why, when it comes to the most vital moves just to ensure that people survive this, they’re dragging their heels and posturing. With the exception of trips to medical providers and shopping for food and supplies, this place needs to be shut down.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Cuomo has generally been pretty good for the state in regards to this, but I don’t understand why he’s dragging his feet on imposing a shelter in place order for NYC. It feels very much like last week when he insisted that the schools wouldn’t close, and then they did.

I don’t understand why, when it comes to the most vital moves just to ensure that people survive this, they’re dragging their heels and posturing. With the exception of trips to medical providers and shopping for food and supplies, this place needs to be shut down.
He has his reasons.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
He has his reasons.
If so, he has yet to clarify them in a way that makes sense. He claims a shelter in place order would mean people wouldn’t have access to medical care, and that’s simply not true, as California is showing. This seems like more of his ongoing squabble with NYC’s mayor, where if one of the two of them comes out for something, then the other reflexively comes out against it. And when it comes to normal politics, that’s the system we have. But this isn’t normal. Right now people aren’t complying with the voluntary restrictions in many cases.

I think part of the problem is that they’re treating this like a weather event that’s predicted to happen shortly rather than a health emergency that is already happening now. But as Fauci has emphasized repeatedly, in an epidemic, you’re always behind wherever you think you are in terms of handling the situation.

For all of the city that is doing the right thing, it’s frightening how many people aren’t. Police and fire department had to break up more than one giant wedding over the weekend with hundreds of guests congregating in the streets.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granite11