What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
It is looking possible that RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel might have been the person that brought COVID to the White House. She met with Trump (and, obviously, would have interacted with White House staff) last Friday. Apparently, she started feeling poorly on Saturday but didn't get tested until Wednesday, which came back positive.

Senator Mike Lee has tested positive too. He met with SCOTUS nominee Amy Barrett a few days ago. In their photo op they were standing about 2 feet apart and were not wearing masks. Doh!

Now that cooler weather is approaching and so many school districts have returned to in-classroom teaching, well, the 2nd wave will likely take hold in the near future. What we've seen so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They say Barrett already had the virus a couple months ago, so she probably feels she has some level of immunity.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
They say Barrett already had the virus a couple months ago, so she probably feels she has some level of immunity.
With the anecdotal evidence starting to show you can possibly get re-infected, that's a heck of a risk. My one friend who had it back in May (six weeks to test negative) is the most diligent mask-wearer I know. He does not want to go through it a second time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm sure you can get it more than once. Sicknesses caused by other coronaviruses (flu, common cold) keep coming around. There's no permanent immunity, either from being infected or from any vaccine. I suppose the question would be how quickly it could happen.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now that cooler weather is approaching and so many school districts have returned to in-classroom teaching, well, the 2nd wave will likely take hold in the near future. What we've seen so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

Mark

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we've even left the first wave yet in the US.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm sure you can get it more than once. Sicknesses caused by other coronaviruses (flu, common cold) keep coming around. There's no permanent immunity, either from being infected or from any vaccine. I suppose the question would be how quickly it could happen.

That may be mostly due to the virii mutating (enough) to get thru one's defenses, including one's natural immune system.

Forget where I read it (whether here or maybe in my Google newsfeed), but there's apparently some recent talk that Covid-19 may even be mutating in such ways that might defeat our current particular strategies w/ masks and social distancing (and maybe handwashing)...

_Man_

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we've even left the first wave yet in the US.

Your comment suggests you assume that the number of cases would have to drop to close to zero before there's a second wave. That's not the case. A second wave will be depicted on graphs as another large bump in positive cases. Despite hot spots around the country, the U.S. positivity rating has been on a gentle decline since early August. Right now the U.S. (as a whole) is sitting at around a 5% positivity rating. We'll be in a second wave when that number rises above 15% or so.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The Barrett nomination event in the WH Rose Garden on Saturday could have been the spread event. Five people that attended that event have now tested positive for COVID (including POTUS and FLOTUS). It was held outdoors but there was almost zero social distancing happening and the majority of attendees did not wear masks.

i-gSNf3fG.jpg

i-G6d3wSW.jpg

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Something to ponder... Anyone that gets anywhere near the president must have a COVID test first. This has been routine at the White House for months. They use some form of quick result test, which I suspect is somewhat less reliable than more standard tests, but EVERYONE gets tested. The president is, perhaps, the most "sheltered" person on the planet with regard to attempts to prevent infection.

Yet, he still got it.

What do you bet that, starting today, a lot of the people pictured in the photo above are now wearing masks?

Mark

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
To your point Mark, on CNN about 15 minutes ago from this posting, they showed a picture Jim Acosta took of a huddle of WH aides and staffers huddled together and they noted it was the first time they'd seen all those people...wearing masks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That may be mostly due to the virii mutating (enough) to get thru one's defenses, including one's natural immune system.

Forget where I read it (whether here or maybe in my Google newsfeed), but there's apparently some recent talk that Covid-19 may even be mutating in such ways that might defeat our current particular strategies w/ masks and social distancing (and maybe handwashing)...
Everything I’ve read is that SARS-COV-2 is mutating slowly as these viruses do, and this is increasing confidence vaccines will be effective and useful.

Something to ponder... Anyone that gets anywhere near the president must have a COVID test first. This has been routine at the White House for months. They use some form of quick result test, which I suspect is somewhat less reliable than more standard tests, but EVERYONE gets tested.
Back in the Spring, they were using an Abbot rapid test system which was said to be much less accurate than the PCR testing.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also I think we can infer that testing around the President is likely not as diligent as we've been led to believe. All of the studies say it takes between 2-14 days to be symptomatic. Theoretically if he (and others) are being tested daily, they shouldn't have shown symptoms, let alone bad enough to warrant going to Walter Reed with a fever, if his and the First Lady's last negative test was yesterday.

In fact, Chris Wallace just said on TV that certain people arrived so close to start time at the debate, that there was an "honor system" in place.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
All I'm going to say is that tonight at the store I work at all but 1 person was properly wearing a mask. That one person had the mask on his chin. Usually there are 5-6 people who refuse to wear a mask. Maybe this will help people realize that they must wear masks.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
To your point Mark, on CNN about 15 minutes ago from this posting, they showed a picture Jim Acosta took of a huddle of WH aides and staffers huddled together and they noted it was the first time they'd seen all those people...wearing masks.

Yep. WH press secretary Kayleigh McEnany has been quoted multiple times about her refusal to wear a mask at public events. Yet, here she is today (blue dress, center):

i-B7dtVPM-X3.jpg

Doh!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks