Is it time to talk about coronavirus?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't understand how it can be successfully tested if you don't know if the people are ever exposed to the virus? If the participants are all wearing masks and social distancing, how do you know if any of them are ever exposed and successfully avoid infection?

It cannot be an antibody test after the trial, I don't think, since I thought the whole idea of a vaccine is to get your body to create the antibodies that will then prevent infection?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
statistics

Monitor and test and analyze outcomes from the two groups. There's going to be 15,000 in each group, which presumably is enough to sort out how well the vaccine works.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
To be honest, I'm less concerned with what a potential vaccine does to the Covid bug, and far, far far more concerned with whatever else it does.

I mean, people dropping dead six months after taking it, or developing shingles ten years down the road, or thalidomide flipper-babies.

How long was Fen-Phen around before it was banned? Or Dexatrim? Or Vioxx? Or Meridia? Or Quaaludes?

Fighting Covid is one thing. Not introducing new problems is another.

Reactions: Richard M S

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I know there are groups of volunteers who have agreed to take the vaccine and be exposed to live virus. I think this is in Britain. This really speeds up the development.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
K
I know there are groups of volunteers who have agreed to take the vaccine and be exposed to live virus. I think this is in Britain. This really speeds up the development.
Yeah, I would think so. Then you know the volunteers have definitely been exposed and will know within days whether or not it's effective.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
To be honest, I'm less concerned with what a potential vaccine does to the Covid bug, and far, far far more concerned with whatever else it does.
Vaccines don't do anything to the Covid bug. They ARE the Covid bug!

By their nature, vaccines are already much safer than drugs. Drugs alter your body's normal behaviour right away, helping it get better as long as the right drugs are administered in the right doses, which is why they can have so many side-effects. Vaccines on the other hand simply teach your body how to fight back potential invaders by exposing it to a weakened or dead version of the same invader, allowing your immune system to learn and remember how to fight it naturally without the need for drugs.

However, with the short immune response already revealed by survivors of COVID-19, who knows for how long the current vaccine will even work. The trial could just as easily reveal that those given the vaccine were protected against COVID-19 for only two or three months.

Mark Booth

Premium
U.S. Representative Louie Gohmert has tested positive for COVID. Gohmert was scheduled to fly on Air Force One and, as part of pre-flight screening, the White House administers a COVID test. Gohmert learned this morning that he tested positive.

Gohmert has been quite vocal about not wearing a mask and, reportedly, he's not a devout social distance practitioner either. He did say, however, that if he ever tested positive for COVID that we'd never see him WITHOUT a mask. Well, that day has come, let's see if he's true to his word.

Gohmert is 66.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Well, I posted the above post on Thursday and it took Florida just a few days to pass New York in the number of infections. Texas is probably the next one to pass New York
According to CNN, it took Texas just five days from my quoted post made this past Saturday to pass New York in the number of infections.:( New York is now fourth with Covid-19 infections with California, Florida and Texas ahead of it. This is terrible as we're now above over 152,000 Covid-19 deaths.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just read on a few new sources (CNBC and CNN) that Herman Cain passed away after a month long battle with COVID-19. He was 74 years old. I'll reserve further comment, partly due to the passing of another life.

- Walter.

• Sad
Reactions: jayembee

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Leatherface says "wear your mask!" :D

TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D

"People bitching it’s hard to breathe in a mask," says Mr. Face. "Try chasing some punk who comes on your property while breathing chainsaw smoke and with a bad leg, all while wearing a mask and a leather apron. I’ll grant you you’re not going to be able to scale any chainlink fences, but that’s why you have a chainsaw. It ain’t easy, but you’re no p---y. Wear your mask, killer."

https://ew.com/movies/leatherface-mask-texas-chainsaw-massacre/

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
It is also worth noting the death of 80 year old Bill Montgomery, founder of Turning Point, a conservative group supporting Trump. He just died from the coronavirus yesterday. He introduced Trump at a crowded rally in Phoenix in June.

Mark Booth

Premium
Just read on a few new sources (CNBC and CNN) that Herman Cain passed away after a month long battle with COVID-19. He was 74 years old. I'll reserve further comment, partly due to the passing of another life.

- Walter.
The Cain family has said that Herman Cain did not know where he acquired the virus. However, he did attend an event in Tulsa on June 20 and was photographed sitting in a crowd of people, none of them wearing masks. Tulsa had a spike in infections following that June 20 event. Cain came down with symptoms about 10 days after that event. Coincidence?

Mark

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
We seem to now have confirmation that holding indoor rallies without masks is not a good idea during this pandemic.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Virginia is the first state (I think) to launch an exposure notification app using the Apple/Google API. I’ve installed it.

Mark Booth

Premium
It's completely theoretical at this point, but researchers are suspecting a link between previous vaccines and the (lack of) severe symptoms from COVID infection.

The theory is that those that have received vaccines for pneumococcus, flu, hepatitis, etc. have been "training" their immune systems to handle infections. Early research points toward less severe COVID symptoms for many people that have received regular vaccines for other diseases.

This would make some socioeconomic sense. The poor are being disproportionately impacted with severe COVID symptoms. It follows that the poor would be less likely to be up-to-date on vaccines.

The article also reinforces the benefits of wearing a mask because it can limit/reduce the viral dose that gets into the wearer's system.

And, of course, the biggest benefit of wearing a mask is it significantly limits the spread (distance) of the virus by an infected person.

Mark

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els