Is it time to talk about coronavirus?

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
What part of the following post isn't clear to some of you? If you post anything that contains some kind of political comment then it's going to be deleted from these Covid threads. Limited profanity is allowed in posts and we mean "limited". No profanity is allowed in thread titles.

The next person that makes a political reference in this thread will be banned from it. Just because you're upset with how this pandemic is being handled doesn't mean you can disregard our posting guidelines regarding no-political talk.

Edit: Furthermore, Ownership and the Moderator Staff are concerned with the number of vitriolic posts in this thread. That needs to stop, otherwise, we will have no choice, but to close this thread down. Going forward such posts will be deleted and those that post them will be subject to being banned from this thread. We can't allow such emotional and personal comments to become the norm in our community.

There will not be any further warnings!

Reactions: Sam Posten

Wayne_j

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Disney opening up is crazy. Florida is having one of the world's biggest outbreaks and they are opening up Disney World.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
For some reason I can't link the article from CNN, but MLB player Kevan Smith says players are encountering name-calling and stink-eye from wearing masks in public while in Florida.

As Tampa Bay Rays catcher Kevan Smith continues to take precautions against the coronavirus, the Pittsburgh native told reporters of opposition to those precautions that he and his teammates have faced in Florida.

Smith told reporters Saturday that a teammate was called a "pansy" for wearing a mask in public even as the number of positive cases across the state continue to surge, while Smith said he received puzzled looks while wearing a mask to collect food.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have observed and been on the receiving end of similar taunts, without understanding the reasoning.

The best I can come up with is that deep down even the most ardent anti-maskers know on some gut level that this isn’t pretend, and the cognitive dissonance of telling yourself everything is fine and you don’t need a mask is really hard to keep up when confronted with real world examples that it’s real. But accepting it’s real requires an admission that it’s a scary thing to have to deal with, and they don’t want to handle that or literally can’t, so they lash out at anything they encounter that reminds them of it.

In short, they yell at others so they can stay in denial about their own lack of precaution.

• Agreed
Reactions: jayembee

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I have observed and been on the receiving end of similar taunts, without understanding the reasoning.

The best I can come up with is that deep down even the most ardent anti-maskers know on some gut level that this isn’t pretend, and the cognitive dissonance of telling yourself everything is fine and you don’t need a mask is really hard to keep up when confronted with real world examples that it’s real. But accepting it’s real requires an admission that it’s a scary thing to have to deal with, and they don’t want to handle that or literally can’t, so they lash out at anything they encounter that reminds them of it.

In short, they yell at others so they can stay in denial about their own lack of precaution.
(More generally).

This is standard human behavior which is actually well known: psychological projection.

Reactions: Lawrence P

Mark Booth

Effects Supervisor
Premium
The state has ordered 30 California counties to shutdown all non-essential indoor types of businesses again. Movie theaters, restaurants, churches, etc. are now under orders to closedown due to COVID-19 spread. Here in San Diego it is effective on Wednesday.

Mark

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
long form reporting. Lots of info here. No definitive vaccine. But it’s encouraging — much better than I expected two months ago.

Oxford’s Covid-19 Vaccine Is the Coronavirus Front-Runner - Bloomberg
AstraZeneca has agreed to sell the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis during the crisis if it proves effective and has lined up deals with multiple manufacturers to produce more than 2 billion doses.
After the deal was announced at the end of April, big money followed as Pascal Soriot, AstraZeneca’s chief executive officer, pledged to make the vaccine available at only a “few dollars” per dose. The British government gave £65 million to accelerate the work and secure 30 million doses for the U.K. by September as part of a deal to make 100 million in total, with some reserved for developing countries. Days later, AstraZeneca announced a $1.2 billion deal with the U.S. Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (Barda) to develop and produce 300 million doses, one of the largest deals the agency has announced. AstraZeneca will work with the National Institutes of Health to test it in 30,000 people in the U.S., scheduled to start in August. The company later struck a licensing deal with the Serum Institute of India to produce a billion doses for developing and middle-income countries. Because of expected political pressure—any country with a role in the production of a vaccine might act to secure doses for its own people—AstraZeneca is setting up independent supply chains within countries to prevent delays at national borders.

Reactions: ChristopherG

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
I'm surprised that no one (including myself) hadn't mentioned the news about Wal-Mart/Sam's Club -- and apparently Target, as well -- is establishing a nationwide policy that requires all customers to wear masks. Starting this coming Monday (at least for WM/SC; not sure about Target). They claim that the stores will have employees whose specific job is to deal with any customers in non-compliance. They had a fancy euphemistic title for them, but my wife and I are inclined to just call them bouncers.

Undoubtedly, they run the risk of losing a good part of their customer base, but on the other hand, they have a good chance of increasing their customer base by appealing to people who want to feel safer while shopping. My wife and I aren't big fans of Wally World -- though, ironically, we have a membership in Sam's Club, for all of our Big Box Store needs -- but we'd be more inclined to shop there more often as an alternative to somewhere else that is mask-lax.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lots of places have mask mandates or requirements. People just do what they want anyway. As I noted somewhere here, the city I work in has mandated all customers and staff must wear masks in all businesses in the city. I was in a convenience store this week where I was the only customer with a mask, out of probably 20 customers in the store.

I don't expect this to be much different unless they're hiring police/security for each store to patrol the aisles and enforce the policy with actual consequences. Having one health associate at the front door wearing a different color shirt will not be effective. As that person is engaging with someone not wearing a mask, six others without masks will pass by and enter the store.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Comparing deaths to total tests administered is irrelevant. The survival rate for those testing negative is always 100%.

To survive the disease, you actually have to contract the disease. A negative test doesn't make you a "survivor".
This is a good example of “cooking the books.” Numbers can be manipulation.
I believe Arkansas reported our first day yesterday with over 1000 new cases. It has gotten bad enough that my wife is quitting her job because the sheer number of cases coupled with the risk of transmission where she works far outweighs her pay. She has long suffered from an autoimmune disorder and is at a much higher risk of infection than I am. It’s just not worth it.
This is a wise but a tough choice you made. Can she get unemployment?

Lawrence P

Auditioning
Real Name
Lawrence
Gosh, I wonder which is the greater risk on a trip to to Disney World - dying from coronavirus or dying from an auto accident getting there?:unsure:

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Gosh, I wonder which is the greater risk on a trip to to Disney World - dying from coronavirus or dying from an auto accident getting there?:unsure:
Leaving out the Disneyworld aspect, since I have no local statistics, you are about an order of magnitude more likely to die of Covid19 than an auto accident. (2016 ~37000 auto fatalities in 12 months vs 2020 ~140,000 Covid19 fatalities in 4 months. US numbers.)

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Ok, with a little more research, I was able to localize things to Florida. In 2017, roughly 15 people per 100k died annually in a car crash in Florida, so about 0.04 per day per 100k. Current Covid19 death rate for Florida is 0.49 per day per 100k. So you are about 12 times more likely to die of Covid19 on a trip to Disney World than you are to die in a car crash on the trip.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metlerdavid