What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even popcorn "fluff" daily shows are also now very stressful to watch, such as "entertainment tonight", etc ... It is almost like watching "cnn" now, when formerly it was just junkfood type celebrity news.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
There are people of all political spectrums not respecting what science tells us. Too many people not practicing social distancing or wearing a mask.

Not in my personal experience. The vast majority of my friends are staying home as much as they can and are wearing face coverings whenever they are going to be near others. Some of those friends are liberal, some are libertarian, and a few are conservative. I have a few friends that believe that face coverings are a waste of time, that the coronavirus is no worse than the seasonal flu, and that the media is intentionally hyping the situation for political gain. ALL of those friends have MAGA hats and wear them proudly.

Mark

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Too stressful and depressing to even follow current events. For that matter, even "formerly frivolous" current daytime tv is too stressful to watch now such as: The View, The Talk, Ellen DeGeneres, etc ... where everything they talk about now is all about current events.

This may sound strange, but even watching lousy action movies (of any vintage) can be very stress inducing. Comedy movies/shows don't seem to be "funny" anymore.

At this time, I don't have any activities which are not stress inducing.
I agree JR. We have totally stopped watching news. When I do I spend all my time yelling at the TV and it never listens. We do have a few things that are not stress inducing but it is a lot harder to "get into" them and the satisfaction level has lessened. Stupid seems to be thriving here in America and just when you think it can't get any worse...

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I suggest you buy Cheers on some streaming service or DVD. The bar where everybody knows your name is where I've been spending my time in front of the television in recent weeks.

At least for me, it's been a good way to forget about the Coronavirus, politics, and the senseless rioting in many cities (Note I'm talking specifically about rioting and have nothing against lawful protest done while socially distancing from others and wearing a mask, which thankfully is how the protests here at home in the North Country appear to have been handled in upstate New York).

If the real world sucks and I'm avoiding it to the best of my ability, it's escapes like going through a favorite tv series from start to finish that is helping me get through it all. Sadly though, I watched the finale last night so it's off to find some other escape from the real world.

Perhaps I'll catch up with my last buy of Twilight Time Blu-Rays, go through I Love Lucy from start to finish on Blu-Ray and DVD, or perhaps I'll dive into a new mini videogame console I recently bought (The TurboGrafx-16 Mini).

Nice to have options. :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I've been streaming stuff like crazy. The pandemic has definitely increased the amount of time I spend in front of a TV. I now subscribe to: Disney+, Apple TV+, Hulu, Netflix, CBS All Access and Amazon Prime. By far, Hulu is the service we use the most. I streamed seasons 1-9 of 'Blue Bloods' via Hulu. Since season 10 isn't available on Hulu, that is the reason that I recently added CBS All Access. I started watching season 10 of 'Blue Bloods' last night.

My subscriptions to Hulu and CBS All Access are the commercial-free level. I abhor ads. I'd rather spend $10 extra per month and not see ads. Advertising is the reason I no longer watch live OTA broadcast TV. I record it and fast-forward through the commercials. There is NOTHING being advertised on TV that I want to know about.

We now have 3 Apple TV 4K boxes in the house. Living room, kitchen and master bedroom. If the TV is on and I'm in the room, the input is either via an Apple TV, the OTA DVR, or Blu-ray player. My wife still watches regular broadcast TV when I'm not in the room. Well, she half watches it... she's usually playing a game on her iPad at the same time.

Mark

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I'm expecting every state to spike because too many people think this thing is under control while there is another large segment of people that has never taken this virus seriously enough.
And since it's summer folks will want to be outside and get together for parties and other group activities and will not take the precautions to wear a mask or keep a safe distance.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I suggest you buy Cheers on some streaming service or DVD. The bar where everybody knows your name is where I've been spending my time in front of the television in recent weeks.

I tried this already. It was a complete utter failure!!!

Through trial and error, the least stressful activity I have encountered so far, is attempting to read through books with a lot of mathematical equations. (To be specific, it was a few highly technical books about quantum mechanics).

It seems like when I turn off the computer, tv and anything else noisy (ie. stereo, phone, etc ...), my mind seems to relax slightly. Even reading a highly disagreeable (or offensive) book such as "Mein Kampf" (by Adolf Hitler), was less stressful than watching tv. I'm not entirely sure if this is just a temporary "phase" which might end up becoming stressful just as everything else.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I had a Zoom meeting with our car club tonight. We were scheduled to lead a run in mid July (it’s a yearly thing). When the club’s events coordinator asked about our plans, I responded that we are going to cancel the run because we do not feel it will be safe to meet for a public gathering for the rest of the year, if not longer. I explained I couldn’t live with myself if ANYONE got COVID because of some event we had planned.

The majority of the members responded that they understood. But one total f’ing butthead wearing *that* hat got nasty. Douchebag moron.

Mark

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I tried this already. It was a complete utter failure!!!

Through trial and error, the least stressful activity I have encountered so far, is attempting to read through books with a lot of mathematical equations. (To be specific, it was a few highly technical books about quantum mechanics).

It seems like when I turn off the computer, tv and anything else noisy (ie. stereo, phone, etc ...), my mind seems to relax slightly. Even reading a highly disagreeable (or offensive) book such as "Mein Kampf" (by Adolf Hitler), was less stressful than watching tv. I'm not entirely sure if this is just a temporary "phase" which might end up becoming stressful just as everything else.
Be very careful. Many (most / all) of us are having a hard time with this but you sound like you are slipping into full blown depression. If it continues you may want to seek some help. Don't let this ruin your life. It sucks but it will end and life will go on. :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The video below is why the U.S. is the COVID capital of the world and why the U.S. will continue to suffer escalating death and misery while many other countries continue to be successful at slowing the virus:

Dumber. Than. A. Bag. Of. Hammers!

And, all too sadly, there are tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands or millions) of people in the U.S. that are just as mind-numbingly stupid as those people.

I said it way back in early March after observing the stupid behavior of people at the airport.... We are doomed!

Mark

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Sadly, virus cases are on a huge upwards spike in southern and western states. What I think is going to happen is states that are doing better, New England states for example, will ban travelers from states where cases are on the rise. Too many people in states fighting not to wear a mask. I don't see it much here but did enter one building where a guy launched into a full on rant that he will never put on a mask.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sadly, virus cases are on a huge upwards spike in southern and western states. What I think is going to happen is states that are doing better, New England states for example, will ban travelers from states where cases are on the rise. Too many people in states fighting not to wear a mask. I don't see it much here but did enter one building where a guy launched into a full on rant that he will never put on a mask.
NY, NJ, and CT have already placed people from hotspots on mandatory quarantine when coming to those states.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, those are the same mental giants that were featured on CNN on Thursday. If they only endangered themselves, I couldn't care less; but I am tired of people who take the proper precautions being at increased risk because of these dunces and their ilk.

Local governments in areas where COVID-19 is spiking should make masks mandatory and start fining the crap out of those who aren't in compliance. Financial pain is the only way you are going to get through to folks like the ones in the clip. Hopefully, they'll get laughed out of court when they sue their local governments, which will be inevitable.

So extremely tired of this anti-science stupidity on display in so many places in our society.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Personally, I think every American should be mandated to wear a mask. Fines are given immediately to those who don't

That's the only way to contain this pandemic that has grown to apocalyptic proportions.

Thing is, constitutionally, I don't think anyone can mandate everyone to wear a mask.

Furthermore, if leaders in our country disagree that masks should be worn, then there is no way such a mandate would ever be made.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Local governments in areas where COVID-19 is spiking should make masks mandatory and start fining the crap out of those who aren't in compliance. Financial pain is the only way you are going to get through to folks like the ones in the clip. Hopefully, they'll get laughed out of court when they sue their local governments, which will be inevitable.

Personally, I think every American should be mandated to wear a mask. Fines are given immediately to those who don't

They will only be "laughed" at, if their attorney is a "Saul Goodman" ambulance chaser type.

Even if this could be enforced, it will also likely be clogging up the legal system. Especially if experts in constitutional law start fighting such cases, and drag it all the way up to the supreme courts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks