Is it time to talk about coronavirus?

Neil Middlemiss

Cinematographer
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Back to Coronavirus. We’ve found Costco to be a lifesaver with their home delivery via Instacart. Especially as we are in the middle or a relocation.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Judging by the traffic colors I see on Google Maps for SoCal right now...quarantine is over for a significant number of people. Weeks past, all freeways were green by this time on Friday. Now there's a significant amount of red.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Hadn’t been to the grocery store in a bit. Just came back. Prices for meat may have been a little higher, but not enough to cause me concern that any price gouging is happening. If I had to guess, just for my local store, it may be 10% higher?

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Actually, on further consideration, I don't think the prices were necessarily higher, but there were less "on sale" than there normally is. Usually maybe 1/4 of the things available are "on sale" and today I maybe only saw 1-2 things "on sale". So while the list prices may have been largely stable, the reduction of items "on sale" results in a net increase in prices.

For comparisons sake, 1 pound of 15% ground beef (organic for what that's worth) was $6.99. Just as a reference point for comparison to what your local market may charge.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Actually, on further consideration, I don't think the prices were necessarily higher, but there were less "on sale" than there normally is. Usually maybe 1/4 of the things available are "on sale" and today I maybe only saw 1-2 things "on sale". So while the list prices may have been largely stable, the reduction of items "on sale" results in a net increase in prices.

For comparisons sake, 1 pound of 15% ground beef (organic for what that's worth) was $6.99. Just as a reference point for comparison to what your local market may charge.
Well, they're higher here in mid-Michigan!

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
I have no doubts of that. Depending on where the infections are shutting down plants, and the affected areas of suppliers, I'm betting we'll see varying spikes across the country. All my experience today showed me was that this market's supplier has either not yet been shut down by covid, or haven't trickled down costs yet if they have.

Maybe I should've stockpiled. Did I just make the TP mistake all over again? :eek:

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Pork chops at my local supermarket were way down in April from the usual prices, something I hadn’t expected. I usually pay between $2.49 and $4.49 a pound depending on which cut, size of the overall package and whether it’s on sale. $0.89 - $1.09 a pound throughout different trips in April. Appreciated the great bargain so I wasn’t going to complain.

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
Edited by PMF

The topic was on Covid and a second wave.

Last edited:

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
OK...my wife came across a really fascinating article that suggests that coronavirus we're dealing with is not what we think it is.

As the url says, it's looking like a vascular disease, not a respiratory one. It uses the lungs as a point of entry to the body, but once in, it affects the endothelial cells in blood vessels. This would (if true) explain the varying non-respiratory symptoms (like the heart and immune response problem affecting children).

The article refers to an article in The Lancet in April, which means that peer reviews are likely going on already. If they end up supporting this idea, it could be a game-changer in terms of how we respond in treating the virus, and work on a vaccine.

RMajidi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ramin
OK...my wife came across a really fascinating article that suggests that coronavirus we're dealing with is not what we think it is.

As the url says, it's looking like a vascular disease, not a respiratory one. It uses the lungs as a point of entry to the body, but once in, it affects the endothelial cells in blood vessels. This would (if true) explain the varying non-respiratory symptoms (like the heart and immune response problem affecting children).

The article refers to an article in The Lancet in April, which means that peer reviews are likely going on already. If they end up supporting this idea, it could be a game-changer in terms of how we respond in treating the virus, and work on a vaccine.
I just read the same article and was thinking of linking to it when yours went up. One of those winding paths of link-hopping from one topic to the next - starting with civil unrest articles - then finally came across this.

Last edited:

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Re: meat prices. Last Monday, went for some KBBQ with friends, and found out they didn't offer the "all-you-can-eat" option anymore due to the fluctuating prices of meat at this time, and they didn't know if they'll be offering the "a-y-c-e" option any time soon. Will have to check with other KBBQ places to see if they are still offering the "a-y-c-e" option.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
I didn't even think about AYCE KBBQ (and I live 8 miles from KTown in LA) but given how crowded those places tend to be...I'm not really tempted to go into one until after covid rates (and likely meat prices) have stabilized.

Kevin Hewell

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
About a month or so ago someone was wondering about the effect of the lack of TP in stores would affect the sewer systems. It seems to have come to pass.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
One of my walking paths is around a 9-hole course. I noticed that on every green that I could see, the cup was raised about 6-8” above the green. This kind of drove me nuts wondering why. It wasn’t just for one day, but everyday.

I finally asked a golfer and he said it was covid-19 related. It prevents the golfers from reaching into the cup, a place every player wants to touch. It was a “doh!” Moment for me. It’s a brilliant idea. So, hit the cup and count it as in.

There’s an 18-hole course we drive by, but it does not appear they’ve adopted the same policy.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
siananstro