Is it time to talk about coronavirus?

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Around here it's probably 20% or less of young people, and probably 50% at best for senior citizens. It's mostly middle-aged people that are wearing them.

Went to a Five Guys a couple nights ago to get a burger and it was busy with college and high-school aged kids. Not a mask to be seen. Only the employees and the middle-aged customers were masked.

On the upside, state officials reported yesterday that Vermont currently has zero hospitalizations related to the virus. Though it's probably news like this that leads to people not taking other precautions as seriously.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
At least some of those numbers seem at least a bit higher than expected to me... Wonder if they're all actually consistent in wearing masks or just "have worn masks" sometimes, but not very consistently.

I haven't been out much, but vast majority in my Brooklyn neighborhood, except kids and teenagers, do seem to wear masks, but not all of them seem very consistent at it. And haven't really seen much of any seniors out in my neighborhood -- of course, there probably aren't that many here anyway... outside of a couple nearby subsidized, assisted living homes/apt complexes...

_Man_

Mark Booth

Effects Supervisor
Premium
This is what scares me. I live in a city that is 55 plus. Thousands of us that are in that vulnerable population. Yet I see a lot not wearing masks, not social distancing, screaming to open all the pools, beaches and bars, and many claiming that it isn't that bad and we shouldn't have ever had a shut down. Some even claiming that the whole thing is a scam.
So I get it. If it's not happening to you or next door to you - it isn't real.

My wife and I have been very careful - staying at home - getting groceries delivered - wearing masks when we must go out (seldom) and I am sure when this is over we will be told we were over cautious. The thought that the shut down and the over cautious is what kept the doubters and complainers alive will never enter their minds.

OK rant over.
I have friends that just moved to the Daytona Beach area in December. The very moment things starting opening up they abandoned their face masks and hit restaurants, got hair cuts, and even did a party boat cruise with dozens of other people. The photos showed they were NOT social distancing.

I hope they are okay but my expectation is I'll see a "we've got COVID" post from them on Facebook in the near future. Sigh.

Mark

Mark Booth

Effects Supervisor
Premium
As of May 24, Jodi Click had been sick with COVID-19 for 65 days. Over 2 MONTHS!!!!

I do not know Jodi Click. She shared her story on Facebook and a friend of mine shared it (which is what brought Jodi to my attention).

Sixty five days of being sick!

Her temp got as high as 105.2. Her oxygen saturation got as low as 65%. She posted that she was afraid to go to sleep for fear that she would never wake up.

If you have a Facebook account you should be able to read Jodi Click's post and see her photos. The photos alone will scare the crap out of you!

In case there are those that can't see the story and photos, here's part of the story she posted:

This is what COVID-19 looks like in someone with underlying conditions - aside from the severe diarrhea with the most horrific cramping you can’t even imagine (coming from someone with Crohn’s, this is saying a lot), the severe eye pain, the excruciating headaches, the terrifying shortness of breath where you don’t want to go to sleep because you don’t know if you’ll stop breathing or your oxygen will drop too low and you won’t wake, the nausea and vomiting, the loss of smell and taste, the loss of appetite, the horrible bone and muscle pain, the broken ribs from coughing so much, coughing so hard it makes you vomit, the shortness of breath that is so bad you can’t talk or do anything, the weakness and incredible fatigue that makes it so you can barely walk across a room and sometimes can’t even make yourself pick up your phone because it’s too heavy... aside from all that, here is the visible stuff - when your lips turn purple from lack of oxygen, rashes all over your body from the virus attacking your organs and vascular system, scary-high blood pressures alternating with too-low blood pressures from vascular and artery damage from the virus, your fingers and toes turning colors and being numb from vascular inflammation and blood clots, vein inflammation and limbs changing colors from more vascular inflammation, irregular heartbeat from tachycardia (too fast) to bradycardia (too slow), high temperatures and too-low temperatures, eye inflammation, low oxygen levels that drop even lower every time you do any activity or remove the oxygen at all... These are pictures from over the past 65 days of having the virus.

People that continue to insist this is "just like the flu" are absolute MORONS!

Mark

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200528.png

(earlier dates available here)

The state averaged 1,468 new cases a day this past week. That's down significantly from the prior week, when the state averaged 1,915 new cases a day.

23,722 confirmed fatalities -- 74 of which occurred just yesterday. The fourth consecutive day that there were less than 100 deaths.

In other news, Long Island has been given the go-ahead to begin reopening, based on the revised metrics discussed earlier in the thread, leaving New York City the only region of the state still in the red:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200527_RegionalMap.png

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Went grocery shopping a little while ago and my general impression was that masking was down a bit. One very small sample, but about 1/3 of the customers were bare-faced.

- Walter.

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
We haven't seen them "skyrocket", but they've definitely increased, along with "meat-adjacent" foods like eggs and milk. I'd seen some reports on-line that the FDA is looking into whether the meat industry is using the disruption at meat-packing facilities due to the virus to inflate prices. Obviously, the plant shutdowns impact the companies, and prices go up to compensate, but the question is whether they are going up more than they need to.

Reactions: PMF

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I noticed meat prices have skyrocketed here in MIchigan. Anybody else notice such increases?
I work at a meat company in NJ (bookkeeping and IT). Prices are going through the roof at the moment.

I live in the same building as my parents. My mom has a very compromised immune system, so my sisters and I are extra, extra, extra careful around my house. I haven't taken public transportation in two months: I walk the three miles to and from work every day with a mask on. I've only had one dirty look so far, but plenty of folks without masks refuse to alter their path because their rights won't be infringed upon and it's MY responsibility as a sheep to get out of the way if I don't like it. So, I cross a lot of streets, turn up my iPod, and ignore it all.

But I can't wait for this to end and get back some sort of normality again. I can be quite the homebody, but I know that from then on, I'll take every chance to be out of the house that I can get!

Excuse me now, I have to order some steaks to bring to my folks...

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
With some of the attitudes I see (in the media) from No-Maskers, I'm concerned that both the elderly and people with endemic health issues that make them especially vulnerable to Covid are going to start being treated like second-class citizens. That if they're at higher risk, then "they need to stay huddled in their homes, so that they don't interfere with MY rights to not wear a mask!" As if their rights are somehow less important than those of the No-Maskers.

Reactions: PMF and Tino

Rodney

Effects Supervisor
Premium
I noticed meat prices have skyrocketed here in MIchigan. Anybody else notice such increases?
Yes, we noticed that last week when we went shopping for steaks for Memorial Day weekend. They say it is because of the plant shutdowns, but I have also heard a possibility that these companies (Tyson, Cargill, etc.) are making money at both ends by reducing what they are paying to the farmers and raising the prices on the consumer side to rake in good profits. I hope this is being investigated and if true, something is going to be done about it.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Yes, we noticed that last week when we went shopping for steaks for Memorial Day weekend. They say it is because of the plant shutdowns, but I have also heard a possibility that these companies (Tyson, Cargill, etc.) are making money at both ends by reducing what they are paying to the farmers and raising the prices on the consumer side to rake in good profits. I hope this is being investigated and if true, something is going to be done about it.
I've read that the FDA is investigating price gouging. A package of thick sliced bacon has been normally $9.99 from one meat company. This week the price hiked up to $11.99. I'm sorry, but a 20% price hike from one week to the next makes me think some price gouging is going on here.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I've read that the FDA is investigating price gouging. A package of thick sliced bacon has been normally $9.99 from one meat company. This week the price hiked up to $11.99. I'm sorry, but a 20% price hike from one week to the next makes me think some price gouging is going on here.
I can't speak for other places, but the company I work at does everything in its power to keep prices as low as we can. We've had relationships with many of these suppliers for well over 30 years. They won't gouge us.

Curious: how big is the package of bacon you mentioned?

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I can't speak for other places, but the company I work at does everything in its power to keep prices as low as we can. We've had relationships with many of these suppliers for well over 30 years. They won't gouge us.

Curious: how big is the package of bacon you mentioned?
Wright Brand® Thick Sliced Hickory Smoked Maple Flavored Bacon, 1.5 lb.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wouldn't say skyrocketed, but they've definitely gone up around here even though there seems to be plenty of supply. The local supermarket had a fair number of meat "mark downs" when I was there a few days ago, of unsold packages that were nearing their sell-by dates.

Eggs have been up and down. A pack of 36 at Walmart was $4.16 one week, up to $7.36 a week or two later, then back down to $4.36 a couple weeks after that. I haven't looked at the recent price. General supermarket prices seem to be a bit on either side of $3/doz.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wouldn't say skyrocketed, but they've definitely gone up around here even though there seems to be plenty of supply. The local supermarket had a fair number of meat "mark downs" when I was there a few days ago, of unsold packages that were nearing their sell-by dates.

Eggs have been up and down. A pack of 36 at Walmart was $4.16 one week, up to $7.36 a week or two later, then back down to $4.36 a couple weeks after that. I haven't looked at the recent price. General supermarket prices seem to be a bit on either side of $3/doz.
Selections of meat are slim in the Little Rock area. This is compounded by the fact that we avoid going into the stores and are dependent on what the shopper finds. However we went into Sams and bought a couple packets of T-bones (4 total) and for the first time ever, we bought a whole beef tenderloin. That cost us a bunch. As soon as my vacuum sealer gets here on Saturday I’m going to cut it up into filets. No rib-eyes.

Instacart shopping service will only go into Kroger in our area, and we haven’t used it yet.

Mark Booth

Effects Supervisor
Premium
When I shopped Costco 2 weeks ago the available selection of beef, pork and chicken was significantly reduced compared to normal times. And there were signs stating that there was a limit of 3 (total) packages of beef, pork and chicken products. Not 3 of each, 3 total.

I purchased a package of steaks (filet) and a package of chicken (tenderloins). I considered buying one more package of steaks but that felt like it would be hoarding (to some degree) so I left it for someone else.

Pricing was the same as it has been. The filet was $14.99/lb and the chicken tenderloins were $2.99/lb.

I also purchased a package of catfish filets. I use a combination of seasonings and steam the catfish in our electric steamer. They come out extremely moist and flavorful.

Mark

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbasaneha