Is it time to talk about coronavirus?

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Walter - no doubt some screening did happen. But given the demographic of people who would have flocked to beaches and pools with no regard to masks or social distancing...I'm betting they didn't have to screen too much. It's a self-selecting type of person who would partake in those activities during these times.

Reactions: B-ROLL

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Carlo - you make a good point about the folks who would go to these events during a global pandemic and ignore social distancing and masks. The CNN editors had plenty of material with which to work; I am quite sure.

I know there is a perspective on all of this that basically affirms that 'we are all in this together' but I'm having some real difficulty with that sentiment when I see these jackasses endangering themselves and everyone they come into contact with.

- Walter.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I honestly don't think that some people will admit that they're wrong at this point. They could be stepping over bodies in the streets and they'll just pretend it wasn't what it obviously was.
After all, they have an example to follow.

I was watching the same footage on CNN that Carlo referenced and I did ask myself whether the clips were 'selected' or if everyone they spoke with was as stupid as a bag of hammers. There were a couple of real 'gems' in that footage that made me think it must have been screened. It is sort of like a news version of that old routine where Jay Leno would interview people on the streets and air the most clueless answers to his questions. The responses to Leno's questions were amusing in a 'we're all in on the joke' sort of way, the real responses that the CNN reporters got at these various Memorial Day events concerning COVID-19 were just sad.

- Walter.
Sure, the piece was edited. One, because they film more than they can air. Two, because some people are just better representations of stupidity. Keep in mind though, their actions by showing up and crowding together like that show they are all ignorant people.

I just wish the damage they are doing could be limited to them. It won’t be, people who are trying to be save will get nailed.

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
100,000 deaths. This, multiplied by the uncountable broken hearts of those left behind whose lives were touched by these individuals.

I shake my head and wonder, how on earth could it be that numbers such as these does not yet have an affect on those so cavalier?

Last edited:

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
100,000 deaths. This, multiplied by the uncountable broken hearts of those left behind whose lives were touched by these lost individuals.

I shake my head and wonder how on earth does this not have an affect on those so cavalier?
It's as horrifyingly simple as they don't care about other people and they've got echo chambers (social media and news outlets) that tells them that their fucked up attitude is acceptable and even commendable.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
It's a hard mindset to change when it was drilled into the public at the outset of the pandemic that healthy people should not wear masks and people were actively discouraged from wearing them unless they had symptoms. Even today, people in high places are publicly ridiculing others on a daily basis for wearing a mask.

Give people two completely contrary sets of instructions, and they'll choose the one they'd prefer to follow rather than the one that's probably right.
Then there are those of us who watched the SARS outbreak years ago and started wearing a mask the day this was announced to be spread through the air.

Reactions: PMF

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apparently only 50% of Americans would take a vaccine if it becomes available!
I read that article.

I believe the breakdown was 49% would, 30ish percent were unsure, and then you have your usual 20% of dumbasses.

And I get the 31% don't know, since you don't want the cure to be worse than the disease and you want to be sure it's effective and safe. However, at various times during this, I could've easily been convinced to shoot monkey piss into my veins if there were the slightest evidence it would help, so...

But the "no way" portion? Yeah, screw those dumbasses. They're why all the old greatest hits like Measles and Polio were making comebacks.

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
100,000 deaths. This, multiplied by the uncountable broken hearts of those left behind whose lives were touched by these individuals now lost.

I shake my head and wonder, how on earth could it be that numbers such as these does not yet have any affect on those so cavalier?
Not to mention the people who manage to recover from the virus, but only after spending weeks on a ventilator thinking that they're going to die.

• Sad
Reactions: Tony Bensley

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Not to mention the people who manage to recover from the virus, but only after spending weeks on a ventilator thinking that they're going to die.
And that will eventually die because of that illness. Doctors feel that those recovered from their bout with this virus will eventually have their life shortened by it.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I doubt that very much.

I believe if a proven vaccine happens, this has been frightening enough where it will have widespread acceptance.
Not only that, but let's say a year from now the vaccine is distributed to the public, we would have lived through various spikes of infection with at least double the number of deaths we currently are now. By that time, this virus would have touched many more of us and perhaps scared some of us to change our minds about getting vaccinated.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
I vividly recall the scene in Contagion where everyone was competing for not-enough-vaccine and they had to go to a lottery system. Well, if that 20% wants to forego their spot, me, my family, friends and loved ones (all of whom I'm fairly certain would want to take it) sure do appreciate them giving us priority. I just hope that whatever vaccine(s) are developed that they are highly effective. Then these 20% can Darwin themselves out if they so choose.

ChristopherG

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I was watching the same footage on CNN that Carlo referenced and I did ask myself whether the clips were 'selected' or if everyone they spoke with was as stupid as a bag of hammers. There were a couple of real 'gems' in that footage that made me think it must have been screened. It is sort of like a news version of that old routine where Jay Leno would interview people on the streets and air the most clueless answers to his questions. The responses to Leno's questions were amusing in a 'we're all in on the joke' sort of way, the real responses that the CNN reporters got at these various Memorial Day events concerning COVID-19 were just sad.

- Walter.
In this day and age, one should always ask themselves these types of questions.

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
This is what scares me. I live in a city that is 55 plus. Thousands of us that are in that vulnerable population. Yet I see a lot not wearing masks, not social distancing, screaming to open all the pools, beaches and bars, and many claiming that it isn't that bad and we shouldn't have ever had a shut down. Some even claiming that the whole thing is a scam.
So I get it. If it's not happening to you or next door to you - it isn't real.

My wife and I have been very careful - staying at home - getting groceries delivered - wearing masks when we must go out (seldom) and I am sure when this is over we will be told we were over cautious. The thought that the shut down and the over cautious is what kept the doubters and complainers alive will never enter their minds.

OK rant over.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bats8711