What's new

Is it time to phase out composite/s-video on receivers? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Not eliminate, but maybe have 2-4 in and 1 out - and thats it.

The freed up space and cost could go to more component video, or having HDMI at a lower price point. I would not think it would be overkill to have 4, 5, 6 component ins, as well as a bunch of HDMI.

Also, no need for a dozen analog L/R in's - the need seems to be going away quickly, as many people use optical or coaxial digital for everything, including CD players (I do not use even 1 analog input, and I have a PS2, computer, DVD, and CD player hooked up).

Just seems like we are wasting a lot of money and real estate on jacks that are really not used in any large quantity.

What do you think?

How about a receiver that has only 2 composite/s-video in's and 1 output (as well as just a few, like 4, analog in's), but has 4, 5, 6 component and HDMI in's, and 4, 5, 6 optical and coaxial inputs?

mark tu

Grip
Backwards compatability is important to many people... I have a friend who spends his time and money on old stuff because he likes the sound better - like the $2K he dropped to get a set of old KlipschHorn corner speakers, (not counting the money he spent to replace a couple of burned out drivers).
I'm using a Denon 4806 - it has the old and a ton of the new on it - if you want to spend the $$, you can have both...
I have a bunch of old stuff too, like a cassette deck, that needs the inputs. In time it will all get replaced, but in the mean time I'm using the stuff...and need the jacks.
Just my 2 cents...
Mark

MikeNg

Second Unit
I'm in agreement with Kenneth here. I think the ratio of old/new connections is definitely heavy on the old side. I think it is still valid to maintain some percentage of 'backwards compatibility', but if someone is going to drop $3000+ on an AVR or pre/pro chances are they won't have a ton of equipment requiring composite/analog connections. This does not apply to those that want to keep everything analog for 'purist' reasons. That is a completely different discussion involving other components that serve a completely different purpose.

My vote is to downplay the analog junk (20% pure analog I think is fair), put more $ into high quality DAC's/DSP's, and expand digital video switching. Assuming the 'industry' can decide what connection they want to run with (DVI please!) it would be cool to have an AVR with a 4-port DVI switcher...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
DVI is a thing of the past I'm sorry to say. HDMI is the current and future. It's 12 bit instead of DVI's 8bit and also carries audio with it and in the future will carry SACD on it when V1.2 is out.

On higher end equipment I can see your point Kenneth but on lower end equipment I think its still QUITE necessary to have alot of analog inputs becuase typically people buying cheaper equipment do not have a need for the extra bells and whistles and need those inputs. That's why they buy low end(except if they are just cheap people).

MikeNg

Second Unit
That's interesting. I did not know that. I guess my partial concern is with HTPC's having a greater place in the HT environment. As far as I can tell, there's no video card or motherboard with HDMI outputs. DVI is currently being supported though.

This article was a good read too.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
HDMI is coming on video cards and is backwards compatible. The compatibility is not really a problem as HDMI --> DVI connectors work just fine.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

I would imagine that this will happen, if more slowly than most people want. It's almost impossible to buy a receiver with a phono (RIAA equalized and boosted) input now, for example. Sooner or later, analog stereo inputs will decrease too. And HDMI, i.Link, etc, will increase.

Composite and s-video inputs are tricky though in that how many people still have VCRs? STBs w/o component video outputs? Let alone the number of people who don't care (or even know the benefit of component over composite and s-video). HDMI is coming, but it's still early to eliminate all analog video connections I think.

Plus, on some gear, you can get a better picture using low res outputs, even though that shouldn't be the case.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Wow.

A 64kbps MP3 is digital, but it sure ain't high fidelity.

Don't worry Mike, I'm just making a point. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks