What's new

Is it time to buy an HD Receiver (1 Viewer)

Kathy

Auditioning
I've had my Mits 55" 16:9 HD ready for almost two years. I still have local Digital Cable. Last time I researched, sometime ago, there were few choices for HD receivers, RCA DTC-100, and other coming out any day (this was for weeks). When they came out the DTC-100 was still the cheapest at around $600.

Another reason I have held off is that some of my neighbors have DirecTV, and they lose their signal every time we have a storm. They come over to watch my reliable Cable which has only gone out once in four years.

But, I only truly enjoy the Mits when I am watching a DVD. What's the opinion out there now. Is it time to buy an HD receiver, and if so which is the one to get (quality but good price?).

Last, I love football, is it time to give DirecTV a chance?

thanks.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Kathy, I think that it depends on your area (I don’t really know what’s available in Cincinnati). That is, how much HD programming is available in your area?
I’ll comment on Dallas, as I am familiar with this area and what is available. We have cable with HBO HD and Showtime HD. No other HD cable (and this service is only for a limited area of Dallas). The satellite service providers are a little better. DirectTV and Dish have HBO & Showtime HD. I am told that Dish has Discovery HD and some CBS programming, if you qualify). DirectTV does not. DirectTV has HDNet, which is sports oriented. Our major local stations all have digital channels that telecast in HD when the programming is available. These channels are only available OTA. No cable or satellite. This works out to be a reasonable amount in PBS and CBS, some in ABC, a little in NBC, promises in WB and none at all for Fox (Fox telecasts in 480—not HD). Both Charter (the cable in my area) and DirectTV expect to have more HD, but no promises as to what or when.
Last, I love football, is it time to give DirecTV a chance?
CBS has a number of SEC games on their HD schedule. If you have an OTA, CBS station, you are set. Supposadly HDNet (or someone) will carry some Seahawks games in HD, but I’m a Cowboys fan. :D
I’d make a decision on cable or satellite before buying a receiver. And make sure that there are enough local stations available to satisfy you. If there are, then, yes it is the right time. You can pick up a satellite receiver for about $500. Both Dish and DirectTV have deals for new customers that provide free installation. Add an antenna (which can go right to the satellite receiver) and you are set. If your cable company offers HD, then get a receiver for that and run your antenna to that box.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another reason I have held off is that some of my neighbors have DirecTV, and they lose their signal every time we have a storm.
They need to have their system checked. The dish probably needs to be re-aligned and all of their cabling needs to be waterproofed. I only lose signal during the absolute worst storms and then it's only for about 10 to 15 minutes.

-Robert

Kathy

Auditioning
I apologize for this basic question, but can you tell me if I have to have BOTH an antenna & a HD receiver to receive HD from local stations that broadcast in HD on my Mits HD-Ready WS-55857?

Secondly, I have Adelphia Digital Cable, but this is not High Def, and the receivers I have on a couple TVs only have typical RCA inputs/outputs, not S video nor Component. I am pretty confident Adelphia does not offer HD choices like Time Warner does. So until I switch to satelite I thought I might try OTA with an antenna installed in my attic. If this requires a receiver, any suggestions?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
can you tell me if I have to have BOTH an antenna & a HD receiver to receive HD from local stations that broadcast in HD on my Mits HD-Ready WS-55857?
Since your TV does not have a built in ATSC tuner you will need an HD receiver and an antenna to pick up an OTA HD broadcast. As for receivers, look around at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. for some closeouts.

-Robert

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Kathy,

The OTA-only receivers most often used have been Samsung SIR T150 (now superceded), the 151, 160 and the new $700 165 which has digital capability to connect to the new D-VHS recording machines (ack! more new technology!)

The rooftop/attic antenna is the least concern. If one is lucky, the cheap Radio Shack bowtie works fine.

Problem is we're all in a changing environment here, so without trying to keep abreast, one might not find what's best for the particular need.

Buying the OTA-only receiver will set you back $399 to $699 as noted. Only the Mits will benefit from this HDTV. You will be commiting to just getting the OTA commercial stations and PBS, no HBO, no Showtime etc. So your cable Adelphia remains the source for everything else non HDTV.

IF you see satellite in your house in less than two years, then any OTA Samsung type STB you buy becomes obsolete to you. That's because there are satellite set=top boxes capable of handling BOTH sat feeds and OTA. Again, this takes research: there are STB differences between DirectTV and DishTV, and we dont know where any proposed merger of these two will lead to any new generation of STBs for Sat/HDTV. Then there are the Tivo/Replay decisions to be made for a sat PVR, (personal video recorder many love for time-shifting recording of programs).

Consider yourself an "early adopter" here, ahead of 85 percent of the rest of U.S. television owner-watchers, as an article today in the New York Times Technology-Circuits section describes for the rocky rollout of digital tv in the U.S.!

bill

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
Kathy,

I also have a Mits HD ready RPTV. Although mines the 46" model. I have the Mits HD-4 STB which receives both Sattelite feeds and OTA HD feeds. I do not have the oval dish yet so I am unable to receive any HD over the Sattelite as of yet.But am very happy with the OTA HD feed.
Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks