What's new

Is it Theater or Theatre? (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I've always considered that I go to a movie theater, and go see a broadway musical in a theatre. The latter has more class to it.

In other words, "Theatre is my life", and "Let's go see Texas Chainsaw at the drive in theater."

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I agree with Randy, who said:

I've always considered that I go to a movie theater, and go see a broadway musical in a theatre. The latter has more class to it.
I don't have any strong arguements for why I've felt that way, with the obvious exceptions of Jack Ferry's reasons. :)

What about debating between:

a) "gray" vs. "grey"
b) "honor" vs. "honour"
c) "fetus" vs. "foetus"
d) "defense" vs. "defence"
e) "November 10" vs. "10 November"
f) "" vs ''

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Aww Paul, that's a pet peeve of mine!

I hate it when an option question, e.g."Do you want A or B?" is answered with a "yes". What the hell does that mean, A or B? Is there actually a convention for this? (Which I suspect is whichever option was presented second.)

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
People keep forgetting about the German influence on early America. I really think the early German-Americans had something to do with us changing the spelling of many words to something more phonetic.

Brett_Y

Auditioning
No ,

This O'brien Guy is absolutely right! I tried writing it both ways (and with both hands) and it takes so much less effort to write Theater than it did To write Theatre. I couldn't believe how much less work it was. It was like the difference between 10 and 50 push-ups. And, being an American i always look for the lazy-man's out!! Excuse me, I'm heading back to my home theater with my bag of potato chips and bowl of ice cream.

Brett

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
My mom pronounces either spelling of theater/theatre as thee-^ay-dur. *lowers and shakes head*

A favorite quote about American/British language ideosycrasies is from Eddie Izzard:

"Americans pronounce herb as 'urb', where we prounounce it 'hurb', because there is a fucking 'h'!"

-Mike

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the first American dictionary written by Noah Webster in the early 1800's. I believe Daniel Webster is a literary character. I do not remember the guy's name, but the first English dictionary was written in early 1600's.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Every sign (DTS, etc) and graphic pertaining to my Home Theatre is spelled "Theatre". It is probably the only word that I use the European spelling. I'm always pleased when I see in giant letters "United Artist Theatre" or "AMC Theatre" on the outside of their respected multiplex.

I pronounce it "thee-ih-ter" but when I want to be a dick I say "thee-aye-ter" in a thick British accent. :D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
In America, it's "theater". In the rest of the world - who gives a @#$%? :)

Regards,

Joe

"We're Americans. We're violent, and we're lazy. Hell, we won't even get out of the car to shoot each other. We just slow down and spray bullets in the general direction."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks