What's new

Is it Theater or Theatre? (1 Viewer)

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
You don't get much more basic than this deep, critically important, philosophical question. Is the correct spelling "Theater" or "Theatre"?

(I've got my bias, but I'll hold off on my opinion for a bit.)

Iver

Second Unit
The 1980 G. & C. Merriam Co. "Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary" says: 1) it can be spelled both ways; 2) either spelling can be pronounced thee-ih-ter or thee-aye-ter; and 3) the latter pronunciation is prevalent in the southern United States.

Instead of watching colour programmes on the telly, one might visit the theatre, and that's what it's all about, innit?

Merriam gives this etymology: Middle English "theatre"; from Middle French, from Latin "theatrum"; from Geek "theatron," from "theasthai" (to view), from "thea" (act of seeing); akin to Greek "thauma" (miracle).

So it's something like the act of seeing a miracle. Or maybe even seeing a miracle in the third act :)

I wonder if "home theater" has worked it way into more recent editions of Merriam's, or anyone else's, general English-language dictionary. It's not in the 1980 edition, probably because at that time the word might invoke images of a mansion with a private screening room, thus making it too rare and specialized for a general purpose dictionary.

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
While a dictionary says it can be either way, the correct spelling is clearly THEATRE. It is only in the USA that they have it spelled THEATER, which is just lazy spelling that has been allowed to continue.

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
While a dictionary says it can be either way, the correct spelling is clearly THEATRE. It is only in the USA that they have it spelled THEATER, which is just lazy spelling that has been allowed to continue.
I wouldn't say it's lazy. It takes the the same amount of energy to spell it either way. The ORIGINAL spelling appears to be THEATRE. THEATER is a newer spelling and used PRIMARILY in the USA, but that doesn't make it WRONG, just DIFFERENT. For instance MUSIC used to be spelled MUSICK. Is that how YOU spell it NOW? There are a lot of A/V things we can debate, but this is one that's not worth the effort.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I always thought theater was supposed to be pronouced "Loh-Botch-nee-ah". :D

I used to use the "theatre" spelling for years until the internet came 'round and any of my information searches for Mystery Science Theater 3000 turned-up no reseults. So now I am always sure to use "theater".

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Since it's my thread I now get to have the definitive (if not the final) answer. It's theatre.

Because (1) I like it better and (2) I say so.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
While a dictionary says it can be either way, the correct spelling is clearly THEATRE. It is only in the USA that they have it spelled THEATER
In a similar light:

Metre - measurement unit equal to 100 centimetres
Meter - Instrument used to measure things, ie Sound Pressure

There is the Internationally accepted version (System International), and there is the US version.....it depends which dictionary you use :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And since FORTRAN, programme became PROGRAM and hence now program.

Theatre.
In England it's pronounced 'Sinn-nuh-mah'.

Oh, and there's also a 'Luh-bòh-ruh-tree' there. More of them, actually.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And even inside the UK, there's 'priv-e-see' versus 'prai-vuh-see'.

Cees

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Seeing that I was born and raised in England, let me just say that for every word used in the US, there is an equivalent different word in the UK, for just about everything. But since, we are talking about the "english" language, I say that whatever we say, goes. ;)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Poppycock!!! WE Americans took the "King's English" and merely civilized it! The way I look at it, you can credit US for expanding the language.:D

BTW-Where do you guys get "Leftenant" from the word "Lieutenant?" See what I mean!!!

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
If you live in the U.S. "theater" is correct, if you live in more Anglisized countries that speak English (UK, Canada, Hong Kong) it's "theatre". There's a reason behind the differences. Back in the early 1800 (or it might have been late 1700s) when Daniel Webster wrote his first American English dictionary, there was a movement to "correct" many of the English idiosyncracies to spell words more like they are pronounced and take way letters that were not pronounced (so for example "colour" became "color"). This was done to further seperate the U.S. from England and to help more of the early immigrants learn English. I may not have all these details totally correct, but I am close.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks