Is it the receiver or the speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_F, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

Maybe you guys can help me with this. A few weeks ago I listened to Matrix Reloaded, the first scene in particular, and it was playing on a Marantz 5500 with PSB T55 speakers and I loved how detailed it was, hearing the broken glass fall was a beautiful thing, it put a smile on both mine and my wife's face.

Today, I listened to Paradigm Reference Studio 100, (I am not sure of the receiver), with the same scene playing and I heard more detail from the first set up.

My question is does the speaker or the receiver determine how much detail I hear from a movie scene?

Both setups were 5.1

2. John S

John S Producer

Both, of course.. I mean, at that point it is the A/D converters, Processor, Pre-amp stages, power amp stages, and speakers. They all contribute as well as can hurt if they aren't up to par.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A great speaker without enough power will not deliver great detail. A great receiver,pre/pro,etc... with average speakers will also not deliver great detail. Great speakers AND receiver with an average source could once again lack in detail. Everything has to work together. Everything being setup correctly can be a factor as well.

4. Kevin_F

That is what makes shopping for the right equipment so difficult [​IMG]

5. John S

John S Producer

Good point John Garcia, I forgot all about the source!!!!

Yep Kevin in a nutshell.. It is not about having the best, but having something you can be happy with. [​IMG]

6. Kevin_F

I think that I have FINALLY decided on my setup:

Integra 6.5 receiver
    PSB T65 fronts
    Panny 700 projector
    Dalite 106" HCCV screen

After purchasing this setup, I will be 'spent', but I will eventually build towards a 7.1 system, but I am sure I will be happy with the above setup until I can add to it.

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Don't forget the effect the room and placement has, as well as how the equipment is configured, which can be hit or miss at alot of retailers.

At any rate, that will be a very nice setup.

Enjoy.

DJ

8. John S

John S Producer

Oh man, the room as well.. Once again, should of been included in my post as well..

A lot does come into play to get that audio to your ears.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Room is definitely a factor, but I didn't put that in there specifically (I consider that part of "setup") because the room should not have a huge impact on subtle detail unless there is a serious problem. Small changes in speaker positioning can make very noticable differences though.

10. Kevin_F

I agree with you guys about the room having an effect, I just find it strange that this store would have a room dedicated to show off a 5.1 system, but not have the equipment configured correct, or have it in a room that has bad acoustics. But I understand what you guys are saying, if one device in the setup is off, it can effect everything else in the setup.

11. John S

John S Producer

One easy example of such a bad room would be.. Big Box stores open with about 10,000 SQ Foot of space. [​IMG]

12. Kevin_F

That is the weird part, this wasn't one of those, it was a dedicated home a/v store with 1 dedicated room set up for 5.1