Is it the cel phone or the service provider?...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Jun 9, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was in a building the other day and had no service. A couple of people a few feet away had full bars on their phones. So it it my cel phone..or my service provider (ie-T-mobile, Nextel, etc)?

Thanks!

2. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Bar indicators are misleading as what is full bar on one phone might be one bar on another (manufacturer can decide the limits). If you have a GSM service, switch the SIM card to a different phone(s) and if there still is no service then it's most likely your network. Or put their SIM card to your phone.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Could be either. Find someone with the same provider and you will know quickly. I know I had no signal on my T-MObile phone while my buddy had T-Mobile and had 3 bars because his phone was newer(better).

4. rachelmarieW

rachelmarieW Auditioning

I am having similar problems with T-Mobile and are thinking of switching to Cingular. Anyone have them and are they any good?

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

depends on the area but my friends wouldn't accept cingular at all anymore due to the massive issues they have had. I never had an issue with Tmobile except my specific cell had poor antenna power. My friend has t-mobile and a new phone and his range is 2 bars more in the same building.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have cingular, (it's my only phone as I get good reception at home). I have a cheap Motorola flipphone and I posted a thread below that I have had problems with my voice echoing into my receiver with about a 1 second delay. Very annoying. A member posted that it was not my phone but something to do with impropertly terminated cell towers and on Cingular's side.

Otherwise, I think the voice quality with my Motorola and Cingular is quite good in the NJ/NYC area. I would estimate that the echo I get happens about 15% of the calls and is annoying when I get it. It doesn't appear to be audible on the receivers side, just mine though.

Jay