Is it tacky to bump your own thread?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

What I mean is.. let's say you had a thread you were excited about that just kinda fizzled. And you just know more people would be interested and respond to it if you would just post a reply to bump it to the top... but, you don't want to look like some sort of narcissist.

So, what do you do? Do you just let it drop and hope some bored soul will dredge it up with a response, or do you grab the forum bull by the coconuts and post a fluff bump response?

[strapping on parachute in preparation for this thread to drop like a stone]

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    bump.

One bored soul

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I've done it before. I mean it can't hurt anything, since most poeple don't look past the first page of threads!!

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Bumping threads without adding anything new is irritating, no matter who does it. When it's the person who originally started the thread - well, that's sort of sad, isn't it?

5. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Dave, shoot me a PM when your threads fall off the first page. I'll bump-em for you, noone has to know. [​IMG]

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Which is why, if such "bumping" is suspected, a certain segment of the HTF population—i.e., those jackbooted thugs called moderators—will be none too pleased. If there's something genuinely new being added, no problem. If not, let the unread masterpiece of a thread die a natural death.

(One of my own threads in "Movies" was resurrected by an enthusiastic member who kept bumping it to the point of irritation. It's an uncanny feeling, locking up one's own thread.)

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    hahaha Jack yeah oh no its up again, stay down, shite here it comes again, ok I'm locking the bugger up, you're going down![​IMG]
    A few times a member starts a thread, and after just 15mins they bump it up asking "hello!! anyone out there?", another 10mins go by and panic sets in, another bump "where is everyone?", thats happened a few times, mostly in software.

9. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Price Reduced..

Price Reduced Again..

Final Price Drop..

Free Shipping..

I'll drive it to your house..

Why the hell isn't anyone interested in a sealed copy of Nell!!

Chickapee whaaa!! Chickapee whaaa!!

10. Jack Briggs

It is often said more high school students love to write "poetry" than actually read it. Similarly, for all the perceived eloquence and relevance one's post may have for the author, it might lack an essential ingredient: being of interest to others. We've all been guilty of these lapses in vanity. (I've seen more than one solitary post/stillborn thread of mine sink like one that has been locked.)

Some hints about creating interesting threads:

* Choose a topic that is of interest to others.

* Create a topic title that is easily and readily understood and not cryptic (none of that "Have you ever wondered about..."-followed-by-the-answer-in-the-post bullshit, please; thank Parker for the pop-up windows).

* Compose the post in such a way that it readily invites discussion.

As for other legitimate "bump ups," if you have a pressing question about a piece of gear you're interested in, and no one has responded to your post in a day or two, a bump can be okay then. If no one has responded after your bump, let it rest.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

1. when i was really hoping to get an answer to something. if no response after bump, it dies

2. when i wanted to thank or comment on a reply. that's kinda like an "automatic" bump i suh-pose, but i always try to say thanks to someone who helps me out.

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I don't think a thank-you or acknowledgment counts as a "bump" "Bumps", strictly speaking, are posts added for no other reason than to move a thread up the list. Thank yous, on the contrary, are something we could use more of around here. I'm often annoyed when someone asks a question or seeks advice, gets a half-dozen good, thoughtful answers, and never posts anything else to the thread (or even reads it, for all anybody knows.)

Regards,

Joe

13. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Is bumping still a problem? I know in the olden days, back when there were only a few forums on here, messages could get knocked off the first page fast. So you'd occassionally see someone desparate for an answer, or attention, bumping.

There's been a few times where I've sort of bumped my own threads, but I always added more info about my problem, or more questions about it. But those times I've done it I've never had to go hunting for the thread, its still been on the first page.

I do recall a few months ago someone in a hardware forum posting a thread "thanking" everyone for reading his post and not responding. That was pretty bad and very immature. Sometimes it happens, you just have to deal with it.

One thing I've noticed is if you got a problem you need help with, pay attention to when you post it. Some of the forums really slow down on the weekends or late at night, and it can take a while before someone actually responds. So if you're going to bump, its best to do it when you can actually get some people looking at it, then hopefully you'll do it only once before getting some replies.

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

15. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    The most *bumped* thread in HTF history must be the 'Thread Killer' thread, its been resurrected so many times, its unkillable.[​IMG]

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

17. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I only bump when I am seeking council and my thread drops to the bottom quicker than a Cher single [​IMG]

18. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

19. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

The only good thread bumps I see are the ones in tourneys and where somebody revives some thread that's been long dead.

20. Jack Briggs

And I'm bumping this thread to assure certain emotional members that they are not being singled out. Jeez. "IBTL."