What's new

Is it sony Vega or Wega? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I always thought it was Wega because my local home electronics store called it a Wega, but a recent Sony made TV ad called it a Vega. Which is it?
Also, for those with Sony Vega/Wega at 27" or larger, there is a 16x9 enhanced mode. Is it any good? Does an anamorphic image in this mode look better than a standard non-anamorphic widescreen image?
I'm curious because since a Vega/Wega is not a 16x9 TV, the resulting 16x9 image is resized to what looks like a normal black bar letterbox mode.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It's Wega. The Wega logo makes the W look sort of like V though. The W is pronounced like a V.
The 16:9 mode will give you a higher vertical resolution, so the picture will be better, at least objectively.
/Mike
[Edited last by MickeS on July 24, 2001 at 02:09 PM]

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
It's a cultural thing if you can follow. It is spelled Wega, but it is pronounced Vega. The Japanese tend to reverse the pronounciation of the letters V and W.
If you can imagine ... "Wolksvagon" ...
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Bill Millar

Auditioning
It is pronounced VEGA (like vegas without the (s). If you look at Sony products it's two V's one white and one is gray superimposed over the other making it look like a W.
The reason for this is because it is named after the Brightest Star in the constellation "Vega". In some Sony manuals it will tell you the same thing.
When store managers went to Sonys new product convention recently they were told to correct people on the pronunciation of the name.
Bill
[Edited last by Bill Millar on July 24, 2001 at 06:59 PM]

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I knew it. I kept telling my friends that it was 2 Vs that just look like a W but everyone thought I was nuts. I knew I was right.
tongue.gif

------------------
"I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields
"One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
I was so amazed when someone at Sears called the TV a Vega. Oh yeah the difference on my 27inch with and without anamorphic is very very noticeable. Also the letterbox thing you are talking about would be the same with or without anamorphic on a non 16x9 screen.

A sales guy at Sears told me that it was pronounced Vega because its a german name, and the "W" in german makes a "V" sound. Don't know the true reason though

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks