Is it safe to use this av switcher for Component 480p?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David K., Nov 1, 2004.

1. David K.

David K. Second Unit

I went out and bought a cheap GE switcher at frys for $15
    its a 3-1 av switcher and plan on plugging the green component witch to the yellow and the red/blue to the red/white terminals.

what scares me is the warning on the back

caution: placing the tgame switch on top of an electromagnetic source may cause static on the tv.

is this switcher to cheap to use? I dont want to mess up my player and projector with it.

this is the model im using but its rebadged as GE

http://shop4.outpost.com/{QYacQL1Wsr...roduct/3984798

2. John S

John S Producer

AV switcher huh??? I would think this designed for Audio L/R and Composite video. If so, I'll bet it would be the same as using such cables for Component Video which is in general a no go in my experiences.

Have you tried it yet? Results?

3. David K.

David K. Second Unit

well there are other posts here that recommend trying this, thats how I got the idea [​IMG], because the switcher is passive it just sends the signal right through, so there shouldnt be any problem using the audio terminals for video.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I've read many of the same posts and the bottom line seems to be it depends on the size of your display. If you're just watching on a 27" TV you're probably not going to see the problems caused by using such a device for component video.

5. John S

John S Producer

Interesting.. There is more to it than that. I hope it works for you. Some people have also said on here, that they were able to use AV L/R/V cables instead of component video cables too. I have tried this myself, without much success.

6. David K.

David K. Second Unit

I did an a/b video test, I kept switching between direct video connection with the canare component connections and the ge av switcher.

there is no discernable differnce, I thought I saw some, but nope, I had to look very hard and if I have to look that hard to even remotely see something that I thought was different, its not even worth mentioning.

there was NO noticeable video degradation to speak of. This is for 480p signal though.

the xbox had a hiccup, ie when I put a game in the xbox during its default set up screen, the screen loses signal for a sec and the game starts. But I do not think its the av switcher, its the xbox at fault.

my dvd players play fine. wow, a $15 av switcher that just passes a solid signal through with no degradation of video signal. I wouldnt have believed it.

Im using a sanyo z1 90" front projection for anyone interested. and on my 7.5 foot screen I cant see any fault in the video, maybe the yellow seemed off, but when I switched between a/b tests, I think most of it was mental because i couldnt tell what was different.

7. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    I'm using an ancient Archer (Radio Shack) 4 into 1 A/V switcher for component video. It's passing HD from a Samsung OTA box and interlaced from an older Sony DVD player. I'm impressed with the results on a Panny 500 w/ 94" 16x9 screen. Since I've never used a specialized CV box I can't make comparisons, but my guests and I think the results are nothing short of spectacular. Guess I'm just cheap, but if chewing gum and baling wire work...

8. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

I use an inexpensive Radio Shack model for 2 plasmas and they work fine. They added 4 component inputs to my system. I kept the cable length at 6' or less, and the HD & DVD signals look great.

Vb

9. John S

John S Producer

Excellent information here, for those out of inputs!!!

Thanks for posting some results everybody.

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well...not really.

It wont do any harm to try it. But like roads - some are built for 25 mph, others for 55 mph.

Ordinary composite video tops out at 4 Mhz maximum frequency. Progressive goes up to about 13 Mhz and HD video - 35 Mhz.

In many cases, the L/R/Video switch box's use identical components to the Video connection so you CAN use these for ordinary component video. People have even used it for Progressive video (at least the $35 one from Radio Shack).

But it all depends on how well the internal connections were engineered. Did the engineer know what he was doing and designed the box to pass 3X to 4X the max expected frequency with no more than a 50% signal drop? If so - it will work fine. If someone just ordered bulk parts and threw a switch together in a factory - different story.

There is a "Mad Catz" HD Video switcher for about $35 that claims to have the bandwidth to handle Progressive video frequencies. It is designed to hook up game systems to HDTV displays. But I have not been able to confirm this.

Note: did you see that "Earphone Jack" for audio on the description? No way was the audio jacks designed for video frequencies in mind if they put a headphone jack in the circuit. Sorry about that...[​IMG]

11. David K.

David K. Second Unit

heres a pic,

I see no difference in picture quality running a 480p signal through this av switcher and directly connecting the component cables. i switched the cables several times, I switched them both on the region free player and the pioneer 563 and there was no difference between either connections, direct or A/V switch box. I switched cables around until my thumbs begn to blister and smell like chrome. Did this for almost an hour BTW staring at the same scenes over and over with different combinations of conenctions and components

the progressive signal passes through fine and dandy.

[​IMG]

the switcher I used is cheapo extraordinaire however, but using this cheap av box and cheapo phillips component cables its a mystery as to why the video signal is not degraded. Makes me wonder if all this mumbo jumbo about Mhz bandwidth is so extreme that in the real world all that is not necessary. kind of like speaker cables that use rhodium plugs and cables that use 24k gold plugs, or ofc and non ofc. looks good on paper, means nothing in real world performance.

the switcher is cheap though, there was one time I had two seperate components on, and as a switched off one component the other signal sneaked through for a split second (right when i turned it on) and reverted back to the proper signal.

12. John S

John S Producer

David K.

Alot of it has to do with how much interference there is in your area and/or immeadiate vicinity to your equipment.

13. David K.

David K. Second Unit

I see, so its mainly a sheilding issue?

im just baffled that there was no video degradation between the $20 component cables and the canare 75 ohm L5fcb digital cable.

14. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Ya know, if it works, why question the savings of $$??!!!!!

Vb

15. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

People have reported excellent results using non-powered mechanical audio-video switchers for component video, it is mostly a matter of luck. There is a good chance all three signal paths are the same.

Not necessarily so with audio-video cables. The red and white cables although they may look the same from the outside, could be made of inferior materials notably the plastic core that separates the innermost wire from the braid.

If you really want a torture test, try this: Connect just the Y cable from the DVD player to the video input #2 of the switcher. Connect the video switcher output to the left audio switcher input #2. Connect the left output to the right audio input #2. Connect the right switcher output to the TV Y input. Leave everything else unplugged. Select input #2. Play the 200 TVL test pattern of the AVIA test disk and check for degradation of horizontal resolution and/or ghosting.

Even with that test, chances are that any degradation you might see would be due to the cables (you are using four of them) as opposed to the switch box.

Video hints:

http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

16. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

DavidK, what cables are you using in that picture?

17. David K.

David K. Second Unit

30' canare lc5fb(sp?)component cables $117 for the cable out

6' x 2, pxt1000 (phillips) $20

and the xbox hdtv microsoft pack $20