What's new

Is it safe to tip a Mitsu 55411 on its side?(or any RPTV for that matter) (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I really want the Mitsubishi 55411 for my room, but because of a tight corner I wont be able to wheel it in on its casters-I can get it in if I tip it on one end, but I am not sure if thats the right thing to do with a rptv-of course, I would be very careful doing this if its possible-LMK

Real Name
stephenrabinowitz
The way my WS55411 was delivered Saturday was had it on a dolly wheels down, he strapped it in that took it into the house on its side. So far so good, now I lowered the contrast to about 25% & brightness to about %40, 0 on the sharpness. Looks like a movie now.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Thanks for the info! Question- Mitsubishi doesnt have the dimension drawings on thier site for the new models, but if Im not mistaken doesnt the 55411 actually not 27 7/8 inches deep-its a plastic piece that sticks out the back that makes it the deep-right?-just like the older models.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, they are about 28" deep. It is MDF board that sticks out on the back. If I'm not mistaken, the 55" mits' are almost a perfect square 50x50, tilting it on it's side would be no smaller to fit in the room. You may consider the 65" that separates into two pieces.

Scott

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Went & bought one today(it wont be in till around the 30th, though :frowning: )-I was right-the main part of the TV is only 22 inches deep & a piece of triangular plastic sticks out the back another 6 inches-it doesnt go along the whole length of the back of the set, though-there is 6 inches on either side of the TV where the plastic piece isnt located-that 6 inches helped me make the corner(if the plastic went the whole length of the back of the tv & wouldnt make it-but it doesnt!) Thanks for the input & Ill post how the mitsu looks in about 3-4 weeks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Stephen, congrats on the set! I bet you're happy. Have you calibrated via AVIA or VE yet? Or have you made the essential, must-do-immediately picture adjustments? Also, are you planning on a professional calibration?

Ted: Despite Stephen's extremely good fortune with the delivery of his Mitsu, I'd be very, very cautious about tipping an RPTV on its side. If it were my own money, I wouldn't do it—mirrors can slip (and have), and other, worse things. If you do go ahead with this plan, do everything extremely slowly. And I mean inches at a time. Keep us posted.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Read my above post-I dont have to! I re-did my cardboard cutout in accordance to the new measurements(from the outside edges to about 6 inches in the TV is only 22inches thick-after that it goes up to ~28 inches thick-my 1st carboard mockup I made was 28 inches thick throughout the whole set, but after finding the true measurements I remade my cutout & it turns the corner no problem with the 22 inch edges! Now I just have to wait for my set.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Forgive me, Ted, for not having read closely enough what you said. Well, then keep us posted of the set's arrival. Good luck!

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Congrats on the purchase, Ted! Like I said in the other thread, you won't be disappointed. It's a fine set with a great line doubler, for my purposes anyway! One of my favorite features is the Parental Lockout of the front buttons on the set. I have an 11 month old and a 5 year old who has cousins over often, and I cringed at the idea of the dreaded "A/V Reset" button, but you can lock it all out through the menu. I'm very happy with my 55311 and it's tons of features. I can imagine that the 55411 will have even more toys to play with! Let us know what you think!

Mat

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered my 55411 today for delivery in early November when the theater will be done. Curious as to everyone's experience with the set. I'll likely calibrate as best I can with the Avia disc but plan on a ISF calibration soon after.

Associated Equip:
Rotel RSP-1066 PRe/Pro
Rotel RMB-1075 Power
Panasonic DVD-RP32S
Rega Planet 2000 CD Player
Vienna Acoustics Mozart (Front)
Vienna Acoustics Maestro (Center)
Vienna Acoustics Haydn (Surround)
Velodyne CT-120 Sub

The room, when finished, will be approx 15'x13'x8'. I'll post before/after pics when done.

Plan on learning a lot here in the mean time.

Cheers!
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread