Is it safe to store electronics in a garage?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GeorgeF, Aug 9, 2001.

1. GeorgeF

GeorgeF Auditioning

Jun 13, 2000
    I've gotten a lot of useful info as a lurker here, but I don't remember seeing this question answered. For various reasons I need to store my HT during fall semester (late August-December). Do I have to rent a temporature-controlled storage unit, or can I put my stuff in a friend's garage? Or can I put some stuff in a garage (maybe receiver, DVD player) but not others (my RPTV)? I guess the temperature in the garage would range from around 40 degrees F to 110 degree F over this time period.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    George F.
  2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Jun 29, 2000
    I wouldn't suggest storing anything electronic in conditions like that.
    Most of your instruction manuals will have a suggested operating temperature range listed in the front somewhere....I'd use those figures for storage too.
    The high temp you metioned sound really extreme for HT gear, plus the humidity in a garage is going to fluctuate with the outside conditions. That'll kill electronics much faster than temperatures will.
    That stuff needs to be inside in the A/C.
  3. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Jul 31, 1997
    Rent the air conditioned storage unit. The humidity in Alabama will kill electronic gear. (I lived there for several years before I moved to Texas.) With changing temperatures in a humid climate, there will be internal condensation which is not good for delicate electronics.
    If you were storing the gear in, say, Tucson, Arizona (desert-dry), and your friend's garage were known for sure to be pest free (no heavy infestation of insects, rodents, inquisitive small children or "borrow"-prone neighbors...) :>) then I'd say save the money. But given where you are, if you want to be sure the equipment is operational at the end of the semester, spend the money and keep it dry!
    But do check on the storage facility's policy regarding theft and natural disaster, "just in case" -- you might need a low cost renter's insurance policy, or they may provide such "protection" at extra cost. You don't want to come back to an empty locker due to a break-in and have them point out a buried clause in your contract excusing themselves from any liability in such cases.
    Good luck -
    Houston-area HT "fanatics" -- check out plans for the next meet:
    [Edited last by Burke Strickland on August 09, 2001 at 04:33 PM]
  4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    of course, in a perfect world, some sort of climate controlled environment woud be preferred.
    that being said...
    i don't think you'll run into any serious problems storing this stuff in a garage - especially if you have the original packing material.
    i worked for packard bell, nec at one time and we stored tons of stuff in our various warehouses. those warehouses were not, by any means, climate controlled. they were freezing in winter, hot as heck in summer. i'll bet most warehousing is the same - of course, that's just a guess.
    also, regarding humidity, you can always include silica packs (where you'd get them i don't know) to prevent any build-up of humidity in the packing. maybe you could even create your own packs using sand or some other highly absorbant material (not kitty liter though). [​IMG]
    if you don't have the packaging, then i'm probably more hesitant to make suggestions. you'll definitely want to keep some sort of wrapping around the gear, but don't make it air tight - otherwise you'll definitely get condensation/mold problems.
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.
  5. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Mar 9, 2000
    I would respectfully disagree. The range you indicate is well within acceptable storage/non-use temperature parameters for most electronics. If the item is protected from excessive dust and moisture it should be fine.
    I assure you that most consumer electronics see far more extreme temps than that during shipping/warehousing/transport. Shipping containers regularly exceed 120F.
    Also, consider that car CD players and speakers are regularly exposed to temperatures exceeding 130F. And VCRs are much more sensitive to temp/humidity variations than digital/optical devices and Sony recommends an acceptable storage temp range of -4F to 140F for most of their tape machines.
    (Added: Burke and Ted responded while I was typing, and I mostly agree with them [​IMG])
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.
    [Edited last by Scott H on August 09, 2001 at 04:49 PM]