Is it safe to buy THE THIN RED LINE?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Sharp, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp Stunt Coordinator

Meaning, is there any type of special edition in the works?

And also, I see two versions in the stores: one has a "Fox War Classics" banner across the top; the other has the DD/DTS silver banner. Are they the same transfer?

Thanks!

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I think it is pretty safe to purchase.

I have been hoping for a special edition for The Thin Red Line since the first edition DVD came out. I believe there was over 6 hours of footage shot, while the final cut of the film was only half that. It has been reported that Terrence Malick has no interest in recording a commentary track or making this footage available. Unfortunately, both the DD and DTS versions are barebones, as the DD version only has the Melanesian songs, while the DTS version has absolutely no extras at all.

I think the "Fox War Collection" is the DTS version with slightly different cover art.

3. Arif

Arif Agent

There is only one version of "The Thin Red Line" currently available, and they both include DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks. The only thing missing is the Melanesian songs from the original DD 5.1 version. As long it has both of the tracks, it's the same version, just different packaging.

I think it's a safe buy - I have it in my collection - and the price is right too!

[​IMG]

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    No, absolutely not! Because the movie is TERRIBLE!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

6. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

To each his own I guess, I liked The Thin Red Line quite a bit. At the same time, I thought Saving Private Ryan was grossly overrated; I can appreciate it's gritty reality (which is pretty much common place in war movies now), but I thought SPR was pretty weak on story and character development. The Thin Red Line was far more artistic in cinematography and direction IMHO.

There, I admitted it.

7. ShaunS

ShaunS Stunt Coordinator

Is there much difference in the DD/DTS tracks? I only have the DD version with the Melanesian songs on it (is this still in print?).

Shaun

8. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

The original release with Melanesian songs is indeed out of print (this is the vesion I have). Still one of the best transfers available on DVD. To my knowledge, the rerelease with DD/dts contains the same transfer. It's too bad that the disc is so barebones--not even the superb theatrical trailer is included.

This is one of my favorite films of all time--certainly one of the best of the 90s.

Don't hesitate to pick it up!

9. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

10. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

OK, so Randy Beaman went to Best Buy to pick up The Thin Red Line on DVD, and when he took it up to the register a 16-ton weight fell on top of him.

So no, it's not safe.

11. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

You're probably right, Richard. Still, the initial release would have had some space, due to the lack of dts.