What's new

Is it safe to buy Denon from an online retailer? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I'm interested in buying a Denon 3802 and a CD changer. The prices I've seen from online retailers are far superior to B&M dealer prices, and, considering I live in the boonies, it's very difficult for me to physically get to a B&M retailer (especially in the winter).

My question is...is it safe to buy from an online retailer? I've heard some reports that a warranty may not be eligible if not bought from an "authorized" Denon dealer. Is it worth the price difference to chance paying for a repair/replacement myself? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

(also...if anyone has any recommendations on decent priced Denon CD changer--quality, etc.--I would appreciate input).

Thanks.

CarlDJr

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the 3802 on UBid for $654.00 shipped. It was refurbished with a 90 day Denon warranty.
My thoughts were that most problems come up very quickly with electronic gear, so if I put the 3802 through its paces by using it heavily during the first few weeks any potential problems should show up during that time.
It all depends on how tolerant you are of "living on the edge".:)
I'm not a great fan of UBid but have selectively bought a few things with no problems so far. And there are some good buys.
Three things to keep in mind though if you look at their offerings:
1. Shipping can be ridiculously high.
2. Prices are not always the best you can find.
3. Don't get caught up in the "auction fever".

David Cohn

Grip
Search the archives for "Denon" and "warranty". This has been discussed before.

Technically, Denon does not have to warrant their product if bought from a non-authorized dealer. Your state of domicile may have some special rules but, generally, the warranty is a contract with many terms ... if a term is not met then the contract is not valid.

That being said, I have bought a Denon from an unauthorized, online dealer and didn't have any problems. Just today, I ordered another Denon (upgraditis!) from an unauthorized, online dealer.

The price difference (30% off list) is too much of a carrot to resist.

I've thought that the following scenario would work: take your Denon into an authorized dealer for warranty work. If they claim that it wasn't purchased correctly, simply state that it was a gift or something.

Just make sure that the online retailer describes it's terms & conditions.

Here is an excerpt from Reliable Audio Video's website: "Reliable A/V dealers honor the original manufacturer warranty, exactly as stipulated by the manufacturer, for the length of the original warranty. In the event any repair is needed within this period, we will arrange to pickup, repair, and return the item at Reliable's expense."

Randy G

Second Unit
In case you're interested, I can hook ya up with an extemely nice, knowledgable, and service oriented brick and mortar(authorized) dealer who can sell you Denon stuff at 20% off. He's even great about getting stuff fixed for free AFTER the warranty period has expired. I've been buying stuff from him for years, and he does whatever it takes to keep you as a customer. You can email me at [email protected] if interested.
Regards,
Randy
ps-also sells Velodyne at 30% off.
Also carries Sherbourn, Mission, PSB, Lexicon, Onkyo, Integra, Monitor Audio

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my 3802 from Reliableaudiovideo.com for $695. They are an affiliate of Uncle's Stereo in NY. Uncle's Stereo is a very well known (and from what I can tell well thought of) discount stereo shop in the City. They are a member of the BBB and they provide for the full Denon warranty in-house. They will even have the unit picked up and returned to you at their cost if something goes wrong during the warranty period.

I am also having this unit pricematched through AMEX Blue to $665 (the lowest price I could find).

John

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Funny you should mention Uncle's online(www.speedandsound.com)...
I just bought a Denon 1802 and M&K 750 MKII THX Select speaker setup. The V1250 Subwoofer didn't work out of the box. They issued a call tag to get it picked up by UPS, and it will be shipping out tomorrow(Monday). I will say though that my shipment shipped TEN days later than expected. I was pretty upset. Oh well, at least they are honoring their word and will give me a functioning sub. On the plus side though, since my speakers shipped so late, they upgraded me to the Gloss Black finished speakers(about a $400 price) for nothing. Pretty cool...they look gorgeous!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks