Is it safe to assume that all THX-labeled transfers require re-eq?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Sylvester, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

Since THX specifications recommend that re-equalization take place within the home processor and not be performed on the soundtrack during mixing, can I assume that all DVDs marked with the THX logo obey this standard and require re-equalization?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I would say that being a bit obsessive. But technically I guess that would be correct.

3. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

THX is not exactly an equalization curve in terms of hardware and software. This is a misnomer - the following is an oversimplification:
    DVDs/LDs/VHS tapes that are THX certified are simply supposed to be unaffected in the process of mastering, so that the final product used for replication is unchanged during the process from the first stage of transfer from the original source materials. It is not a guarantee of perfection on the source material itself.
    Don't expect a THX-certified VHS cassette to look like a D1 master by any stretch.
    THX-certified hardware is designed to perform to a certain expectation.
    THX-certified theaters are expected to perform a certain way acoustically and visually (in terms of film presentation) according to engineered specifications of the environment. In the words of Arthur Dent, "don't ask me to explain it, or I'll start to whimper!"
    The best way to learn is to go right to the source...

4. Jay Sylvester

I understand what THX is, what THX certification means, and that it doesn't ensure the final product will be perfect. I'm just wondering if I can expect sources created with THX mastering techniques to always include the X-curve intact, requiring the use of re-eq in the processor. My gut tells me the X-curve should be intact since it's THX telling us the processor should handle this, and not the source creators. From your comments above...

5. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, NO.....It still depends on your room response and equipment. Another factor I think is how loud do you listen to movies? If you watch at relatively low levels a "hot" mix may be not so bad. Generally, if listening at reference levels most movies can benefit from THX when watching at home (sans mi casa studios mixes).

6. Jay Sylvester

Most of my listening occurs around -15db with all speakers calibrated to 75db at the 0db point on my volume control using the internal test tones. This seems to be a good balance in my apartment between clear and audible quiet passages and nice loud action sequences without blowing me out of my chair. I have a THX Ultra2 preamp (AVM 20 v. 2.0), THX Ultra amp (Rotel RMB-1075), and THX Ultra speaker setup (M&K). The only "soft" furniture is my chair; the rest consists of racks and speaker stands. No drapes covering the windows, and no acoustic treatments since it's an apartment and I can't go crazy putting acoustic panels on the walls. In this environment, not using re-eq results in a pretty harsh sound except for mixes like the Mi Casa stuff, which sound good without re-eq applied.

7. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I used to think so until I learned that Mi Casa also did 'From Hell" which is a THX disc.