Is it safe/smart to put your sub behind your TV.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike!S, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Mike!S

Mike!S Stunt Coordinator

I read on the dolby website, that when you have a corner room layout where you need to save space. Yo can put your sub behind the TV instead. This would work good for me, because Im short on space and it fits perfectly behind my new Hitachi - 51s500. My question, won't the bass from the sub cause some sort of screen interference? will it provide good bass within the room if its behind the TV? thanks

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Myself and others have their subs beside or behind their TVs and the majority do not have issues. If your concern is the interference of the magnet in the speaker on the CRT, there tends to be enough space and shielding in the set and speaker cabinet for this not to be an issue. The other concern would be the power of the sub messing with the convergence on an RPTV. There have been instances of this, but they seem rather rare.

Whether it will provide good bass from that location will depend on other factors besides just being obstructed by an object.

3. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I do that with a lot of my customers (women like to use the sub to put flowers then call complaing when it vibrates off) I have never had a problem with interference

4. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

Man it's funny you mention the flowers on the sub thing, out of 4 subs in our house we have 2 of them with huge flower arrangements on top of them. Just thought that was kind of funny.

As for behind your TV, hasn't caused a problem as far as I can tell with my yammy sub behind my 36" toshiba hdtv.

5. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I have toyed with the notion of doing this as well since I got my new JBL e250p. It is in the back corner of the room now, beside the couch. It vibrates all the stuff on the back wall, and that wall is adjacent to the neighbors bedroom. I thought about moving the sub behind the tv to stop as much of the rattling.

6. Mike!S

Mike!S Stunt Coordinator

thats funny, thats my problem too. My neighbors kitchen is on the side of the wall where i could put my sub. If i put it behind my tv, it will avoid the problem. but won't that just make the TV and my components shake???

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Over the last 5+ years, I've had my sub(s) behind my setups in two different places and I've never had any problems.