Is it safe? Buying Opera Limited Edition...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I want to buy this site unseen, and I want the Limited Edition. However, I've heard of all the problems with the disc. However again, when I went to this one store, there was a version 2.0 sticker on the back. Does that mean I should get that one?
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    "Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
    "It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
    My DVD Collection

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

4. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Is there any way of identifying the corrected version on the disk itself? I recently bought a copy of the LE and it played fine (I had a previous regular copy which did not play at all). I don't see any indicator on the case itself and I have lost the wrapping (though I don't remember seeing any sticker on that, either).
    If anybody has a confirmed corrected copy, I would appreciate it if you could list the codes on the hub. Mine has this:
    D18366-1 2 and in the opposite direction (faintly)
    D18366-0 1
    My concern is that others have reported the bad disk having played OK and then going bad later. My disk does have an area near the hub which looks like layers may be separating.
    Thanks for your help.

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Larry,
    My Version 2.0 disc has the same numbers on the disc. Does the front of your disc (the artwork) have a little "O" in a red circle to the right of the THX logo?

6. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Greg,
    Thanks for checking. There is a red dot that looks like a period at the right end of the bottom horizontal bar on the THX logo, but it's so small I cannot discern any writing in it. It has a diameter equal to the width of the bar. This doesn't seem like what your talking about.

7. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Larry, nope. The circle is almost the same height as the THX logo.

8. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Joy! Best Buy had the version 2 disk in stock and swapped it out without a problem.