1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it receiver or speakers ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dennis Tester, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Dennis Tester

Hi everyone. [​IMG] I am new to this site this is my first post . I recently bought a yamaha rxv 2400 rerceiver and a pair of athena asf2 speakers for the main fronts. The problem that I seem to be having is when I turn the volume up fairly load I am getting a big bass drop . This is when I have the receiver on 2 channel mode . Is this caused by the receiver not having enough power or the speakers not being able to handle the power ? Thanks for your time .........

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Dennis, I think that it's the reciver. I have seen this many times....after so much the bass cuts down. but with a sub woofer that can be remidied. also, could be a setup issue as well. check your settings.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

You know this is the 2nd person I've seen with these speakers and this problem. I begin to wonder if its not the speaker or the expectations of the listener for these speakers. I wouldn't be surprised if its a combination of the expectations/listening habits as well as the Receiver running out of juice. A quality subwoofer would provide some relief for you but I'm one of those types that don't like to use a subwoofer with my music. If it were me I'd either learn to turn it down or buy an external amp.

Then again maybe one of the more technical minded folks like Chu will give us his insight here.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

That is so true. It takes some awfully big or awfully expensive floor-standing speakers to produce the bass equal of what a subwoofer can provide.

5. WendyS

WendyS Stunt Coordinator

I have the same speakers and was shocked at the bass they produce......nowhere near what my sub does, but they do surprisingly well (mostly because of the price) for music. I've cranked my receiver as high as it will go with no bass fallout.

6. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

yeah. that's why im thinking it's the receiver. My car system does the same thing...hit's a certian level and bass just falls on it's ass. But with his yammie I think that you can adjust that somehow.

7. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

If you notice such a significant distortion as the bass disappearing, I wouldn't turn it up any more because you're probably nearing the limits of the speakers or receiver. I personally bet it's the speakers going past their linear excursion limits.