Is It really necessary to spend 300 dollars for a decent 2 way crossover?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricHM, Sep 19, 2001.

1. EricHM

EricHM Agent

Hello, as some of you may know I am searching for a way to high pass my main speakers in a 2 channel + Sub system that will consist of a denon dcm-270 5 disc CD changer, a NAD C350 Inetgrated amp, and a powered subwoofer with a built in 1 way low pass crossover, likely tha Adire Rava or svs 25-31pc.
    I want to actively high pass my main speakers.
    So far the only units I've really found that can do this are the marchand crossovers, which cost over 400 dollars unless you build them yourself. I would feel a little retarded if I bought one of these, because I don't feel the crossover in a system should cost more than the amp itself....maybe I could justify a marchand xm9 if I were spending 1000 bucks on amps, but as it is I'm only spending 350.
    I was considering maybe the marchand xm1 which only costs 30 bucks, but it is just a circuit board. Circuit Boards without a housing aren't the most durable items I can think of, nor are they the most aesthetically pleasing. I'd be willing to pay 100 dollars for something like this if only it had some kind of acceptable chasis.
    Any possible solutions? How do all you people out there running seperates hi pass your main speakers if you're running a sub?
    [Edited last by EricHM on September 19, 2001 at 08:00 PM]

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Can you take a signal from the pre-outs of the NAD amp and run it back into the main amp input of your NAD amp (MAin-out Main-in type of deal)? If so, then you could look at a Mirage LFX-1. This person is selling one for not a lot of money:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002594.html
    Its an active crossover, so you'd need to feed it a left and right signal and then send the crossed over signal back into an amplifier before you send that signal to your speakers. The subwoofer connects to the LFX-1. The crossover has a 50-100 hz range for the high-pass (main speakers) and a 50-100 hz range for the low-pass (for the subwoofer).
    I have tracked on down for myself, but unless someone knows how to tap into the amps from my Marantz SR 6200, I have to find external amplification.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on September 19, 2001 at 08:30 PM]

3. EricHM

EricHM Agent

Yes, apparantly there is just a bus bar on the rear of the int amp that connects the preamp to the amp section of the nad. You simply remove the bus bar and stick a crossover in the signal path.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Sweet. Well, thats the way to go. Your subwoofer is powered or uses an amplifier other than the NAD, right?
    So just connect the LFX-1 between the pre-amp and the amp section of the NAD, connecting the highpass back into the amp section of the NAD. The powered subwoofer or the smplifier for the powered subwoofer connects to the sub out. I think it'll be what you need. I wish my Marantz had a way of doing that. I need to either have someone modify my Marantz, or I have to use external amps.
    Just check that link, as Steve still may have the LFX-1 for sale, for $130.00 last I checked. He also has his stuff listed here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/005875.html

5. EricHM

EricHM Agent

Do you know of anywhere I can find specs on that particular crossover? I looked on mirage's website but had trouble locating any info.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I know. I had to have an owners manual sent to me. What do you want to know?

7. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Eric Have you looked at the paradigm X-Series?
    Look into the X-30. I think you will find that it is reasonably priced and offers the features you are looking for.
    Check with your local Paradigm dealer they should be able to get it for you.
    Michael