1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it really Home Theater "without" the projector?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Micheal, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I used to own a Sanyo LCD projector but ended up selling it and going with a HD RPTV. I really started to miss the theater atmosphere that the PJ gave me and I ended up getting a good deal on a Marquee 8000 CRT projector. I still have the TV (moved it upstairs) but I watch all of my movies on my CRT downstairs.
    My question is this... is it really a "Home Theater" with a TV? Do people without a PJ think they are missing anything or do you have to experience it before hand to get that itch?
    The feeling is just different when you watch a movie on a projector, those of you who own one know what I'm talking about. I'm not cutting down TV's, my HD RPTV gives an amazing picture but it just isn't the same.
    Also, please don't turn this into some kind of HT TV vs PJ War, I just want to read everyone's opinion on the subject.
    One last thing, do you think the picture is just as important as the sound? Opions wanted...[​IMG]
    In the end I'm sure we all have the desire to have the most complete theater experience possible and I know that I'm still a long way from that. [​IMG]
    One last thing...
    I guess I've figured some of it out now that I'm done.., enjoy what you have and the rest is just gravy.
    [​IMG]

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Yes. It really is a Home Theater without a projector. Any video device that can display a film in its correct aspect ratio qualifies. Is a projector better? I won't attempt to answer that except to say that I don't favor them. Most of my film viewing is not done under "optimum" conditions. With RPTV, you can get away with this to more of a degree than a projector, where you need total darkness.

Bruce

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

When you turn the lights off all you see is the picture and you hear the music. It reenacts the theater. Surround is used in theaters. That's it to me. From that point on it's just better HT's.

My opinion may not fit w/ others, b/c I just look for the best movie experience. I don't need the fat lady in the chair next to me, the stale popcorn, the flat coke, and the couple that laughs at everything at the wrong time. Yeah, all of that doesn't happen at home and doesn't need to. I personally am looking for something superior to Home "Theater." I'd rather have a 60" Fujitsu Plasma then a projector, but that's me. I eat Chinese while watching and prefer laying out on my leather couch. Not very HT like. There are no rules besides video and audio (hopefully surround).

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

As long as the picture fills up a big enough portion of the field of view, and its dark enough then it's HT to me... projector or no projector doesn't matter.
    In fact, I find the real theater-feeling comes from 1) the darkness and 2) sitting straight up in the chair or the sofa. [​IMG]
    /Mike

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I also say of course it's home theater without the PJ.
    I consider HT:
    1. Ability/Equipment to view OAR.
    2. At least Pro Logic to get the surround soundfield.
    3. Nice dark room.
    Here's a good discussion about what constitutes a Home Theater

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've been in high end demo rooms before that had a FP system, and think it is the ultimate in HT, HOWEVER, you don't need one to have HT, not at all.
    Hey, you know what, I think i'm going to go buy one right now!
    BTW, does anyone have $8000 bucks I can borrow?[​IMG]

7. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

You don't have to have a pj to call your setup a real Hometheater but once you had a projector there is no turning back. Furthermore there isn't any other device on the market (except real Film projectors) that can come close to the picture quality a CRT projector provides.

8. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I think I'm missing out on ht without a pj. But then again I only have a 25" tv. [​IMG]
    Jon

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have always voiced my feelings about how much more theatre-like the atmosphere is when you watch movies on a nice big projected screen as apposed to a TV. I never used to feel like that so much until I actually got one so maybe it is something that has to be experienced. All I know is I don't want to go back. If anything ever happened I would get another projector anyday before spending big bucks on a TV.

10. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Although I think "home theater" is a state of mind and not what's in your equipment rack...I will never truly be happy until I have a front projector. I know many a J6P that can't tell OAR from a hole in his head, but know the difference between watching a movie in a theater and watching one at home...and it's not the aspect ratio (for them at least)...it's the size. So for me I won't have a true home theater until I can bring home that same feeling of watching it "up on the big screen." But I still call my setup with a 27" TV a home theater, I'm just not satisfied yet.

11. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>One last thing, do you think the picture is just as important as the sound? Opions wanted...

12. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I think it was just my subconscious playing with me. [​IMG]
    I have done both though, I've watched movies without sound and I've also listened to movies without a picture. I'm starting to lean more to the "picture is more important" camp...

13. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

14. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

It is up to everyone whether they consider it a home theater, if it makes them happy, then who are we to argue...
    That said, I consider any screen under 100" diag to be too small to considered a 'real' home theater, you just miss the same experience. I have a lot of friends with 50-70" 'big screens' and they all salivate over my dedicated room with 133" diag screen, they all agree it is more 'movie-like' [​IMG] To each his own, but if my projector goes out, I'm one bummed out person [​IMG]
    As for the sound issue, you really need both. Again, lots of friends have decent HDTVs but crummy sound, really takes away from the movie. Lots of them have small TVs with better sound, much nicer but still lacking. Couple the 100"++ screen with a great 6.1 surround system, and there is nothing sweeter [​IMG] IMHO, of course [​IMG]

15. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Having a 65" RPTV in one room and a 108" screen with a front projector in the other, I can tell you we watch 99% of our movies on the big screen. There is no comparison. We watch broadcast television on the rear projection now.

16. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    At one time I had planned on using my 50 Ultravision in my dedicated 12x24 HT room. Then before construction began I bought a 109" CRT projector for a cheep price. Now I shutter to think I would have been sitting in my stadium seating theater watching a RPTV. Now the RPTV is still up stairs with a DD/DTS 5.1 system but now 97% of all my movie viewing is in the dedicated theater. So yes, now that I have experienced both I would say It has to be a projector anything els I call a "HT Setup"!

Wes

17. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I have a question, why the hell are front projector's so damn expensive!?
    All they are is the RGB part of a rear projection t.v., focused through a lens, in a housing that you attach to the ceiling![​IMG]
    Does this warrant a $5000 on up price tag? No IMO.
    This is not saying that I wouldn't buy one this second if I could, but why so damn pricy?