Is it really complicated to use a SPL meter?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by TonyNoles, Feb 16, 2004.

1. TonyNoles

TonyNoles Extra

I just received my speakers from Axiom and have them setup and now I want to calibrate them. I bought the Avia disc and getting ready to go to Radio Shack for the anolog meter. Just wondering if its difficult to use one and if there are any tips on using one? Thanks for any input.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

No it is simplicity itself—the directions packaged with the meter are reasonably complete. The AVIA disk also will walk you through what to do.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It's extremely simple. use c-weighting, slow.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

And there is a quickie guide in the FAQ AND PRIMER in addition to Avia's on screen menu instructions.

5. TonyNoles

TonyNoles Extra

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

6. Doug MacGregor

Doug MacGregor Stunt Coordinator

Pardon me Tony.
    I have been searching for the Radio Shack Analog SPL meter now for 6 months and I can't find one.
    Where the heck did you find one? Or are you just hoping that RS still has them?
    I phoned every RS in this city (Ottawa) and nobody has any (even in the back).
    All I can get is the digital one.
    Rats!

7. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Tony,
    As has been said it is very easy to use the meter. Follow the directions in the Primer and on the Avia disc and you are set.

Doug,
    RS Canada discontinued the original 33-2050 Analog meter about 2 years ago. It was recently discontinued in the US and replaced with the new analog unit 33-4050. It also just came available (or will be coming available soon) in Canada:

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...log=RadioShack

8. TonyNoles

TonyNoles Extra

Hi Doug. I bought the recently redesigned analog sound meter in Alabama. We have about 5 Radio Shacks here locally but only one of them had it in stock. The part number is 33-4050. They had one more left after I bought mine. Good luck finding one.

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Bought my RS meter locally, had them stacked right on the shelf.

Just rememebr to point the microphone up the whole time. And I think Avia has a problem with LFE tones, do a search on the speaker forums....

10. TonyNoles

TonyNoles Extra

One question about calibrating the speakers: When you do the speaker level adjustments, do you not adjust the front speakers? When I bring up the test tone on my receiver, it just has adjustments for the center, rear speakers and the sub. Is this correct? Also, I had to calibrate using the receivers test tones. I couldn't figure out how to adjust using using the Avias teat tones. Should I be able to do it both ways? Thanks for any help.

11. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

12. Doug MacGregor

Doug MacGregor Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Tony.
    You are right. The Canadian RS Web site indicates that it is "coming soon".
    Will rush right out and get one as soon as it becomes available.

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Also, some receivers will only let you adjust the speaker levels with the internal tone playing- my old denon 3300 did this. I would play avia, get the measurements, figure out how many DB the speakers were +/- the level I wanted, then go into the menu on the receiver, adjust the levels (ignoring the internal tone, adjusting based on my notes from avia)-- then i would play avia again, and see how much closer i was, note again if they needed to go up or down, and then went back to the menu. Go back and forth until it was right.

Again, can be tedious- but is the only way with receivers that tie your hands like these.

-V

14. TonyNoles

TonyNoles Extra

Thanks Vince. I will try it like that today.