What's new

Is it quality artistic entertainment or simply a toy? (1 Viewer)

John Beavers

Second Unit
When you buy a DVD you are getting quality entertainment, whose content is artistically legitimized at events like the Academy Awards. When you buy a video game you are in essence buying a toy. Which is usually purchased by overworked and time challenged parents who want their kids entertained and out of their hair for awhile.
I tell ya, video games don't get no respect. And should they? Are they as viable as the movies as an artistic medium deserving of respect? Is driving around a race track or shooting aliens worthy of artistic notice? Are there games so well portrayed and with dialogue worthy of a movie (not really saying much there based on the action movies I've seen of late :), that could challenge the label of "toy", and take video game content into the category of a worthy artistic experience?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Which is usually purchased by overworked and time challenged parents who want their kids entertained and out of their hair for awhile.
Except they aren't.

The majority of videogames are sold to the over 18 market. The majority of PS2 etc owners are over 18.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Children's toys can still be considered pieces of art. Action figures are toys, yet people pay a lot of money for the figures from games like MGS2.

I would say its a mix based on the developer. Some games are crap, some are based on something else so aren't artistic, while others are filled with art (mainly RPGs).

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I would seriously disagree, IF I correctly understand your post. Games are fast becoming works of art and things of beauty. AND most importantly, games are overtaking the movie industry financially. They were at around 8 billion a piece and games are surpassing movies.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'll say this, when video games first hit the home market back in the late 70's, they're wasn't much artistic merit to them at all, basically they were just a series of simple geometric shapes bouncing around the screen accompanied by lame sound effects and not much else.
However, games have come a loooooongggg way from those days, and can now seriously be considered an artistic medium. A lot of care and a WHOLE LOT of work goes into producing games now, by people who are just as dedicated to their job and their work as Hollywood is.
Look at games like Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec and tell me it can't be considered artistic.
Are games toys? Well, if you want to get technical, speakers, recievers, and dvd players can be considered toys, for adults. One thing is certain, home gaming is not just childs play anymore.

I consider true art as something that is capable of connecting with and moving people on an emotional level.

Music, Movies, paintings, photographs all seem to fit that description.

Not so sure about videogames.

John Beavers

Second Unit
I consider true art as something that is capable of connecting with and moving people on an emotional level
Ever play a classic style RPG, where you have a group of characters whom you get to know over the 100+ hours of game play your adventure takes to finish? At least for me, I was touched on an emotional level when in this one particular game, one of those characters sacrificed herself in the end so that the team could defeat the evil primary antagonist. The story contained everything you would find in a classic movie tragedy. The difference being you were apart of it, and your decisions effected the outcome of the story.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I consider true art as something that is capable of connecting with and moving people on an emotional level.

Music, Movies, paintings, photographs all seem to fit that description.

Not so sure about videogames.

Not so sure about video games? If ANY of those formats you mentioned moves people on an emotional level it's video games and it is FAR more interactive than any of the things you mentioned. Completing a game or accomplishing something can be satisfying, rewarding, joyful, and stress relieving. Games inspire imagination, thought prevocation, and creativity in their level design, character animations, storyline, physics etc. In fact it may be the ultimate artform in that it brings together all those things. Games can cause you to experience fear, anxiety, and disapointment

in a way no movie can because it takes you and makes you part of the experience.

Take a game like ICO for example. The backtounds, the characters, the intricate puzzle design. If that doesn't qualify as art break out you crayolas and show me what you got.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
ICO is like Monet in interactive form. Its the most beautiful and amazing looking game I have EVER played.

The most amazing part of that game is either the colors being so washed out or the Dark Queen's hair.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I can agree with the comment on ICO Morgan. Though personally I did not care much for ICO, in terms of artistic design and the style of graphics it is a truly magnificent game to behold. I may have to give it another chance soon. Maybe it will click with me then. (admittedly I did have about 3 other games I was much more into at the time that I played ICO)

Another game that I think should be considered in the top echelon of video game masterpieces is REZ. There has just not been a game made like this. Graphically and aurally is never ceases ot amaze.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In the music/rhythm idea, Frequency also looks really good. Its not as artistic as other games, but the flashy colors and the way the whole game comes together is very artistic.

Romier-

Did you get to see the Dark Queen in ICO? Look at her hair and dress, its amazing.

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
You can't say games in general are artistic, but there are games that are artistic
Why not Morgan? Don't people have to concieve the artwork and the graphics that go into a game? They aren't called graphic artists for nuthin' you know.

I honestly believe that games are works of art. They are a medium much in the same way that a movie is a work of art created by many different people working together to create a whole.

Artistic talent on some level or another is needed to work on or produce a videogame of any kind, true there are many games that are below industry standards as far as graphics go, but does that mean that the people working on it are less talented than the average joe blow who knows nothing about making a game? Nope.

As games continue to advance and develope and evolve, so will the appreciation and player base for them. Games are already expanding past the traditional 4-30yr old player base. Especially as young gamers get older and STILL play their games.

To finish off, gaming is an art, and it will continue to grow and develope, and in our lifetimes I truely believe we will see some incredibly beautifull and emotional games come into existence, games that will effect a wide range of people, from housewives to little old men.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Making games is an art. I will agree with that.

Some games are more artistic than others. Some movies are not artistic, but the process in making them can be considered such. Same thing with games.

Pong was not exactly an artistic game, though it did require some artistry to come up with the concept, the design, etc. FFX has more artistry than Pong, though both are pieces of art.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks