Is it possible to use a separate power amp w/receiver without preouts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertHO, Feb 12, 2003.

1. RobertHO

RobertHO Extra

Is there a way to use a seperate amplifier with a receiver that has no pre outs?

Thanks in advance!

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I was wondering the same thing! I know from some limited experience in car audio that they make speaker level to line level converters, but i don't know how those would deal with the higher power associated with HT or how they would change/color the sound. I'm guessing that they would be a weak link between a good receiver and a good amp.

I was interested in adding amps to my Denon 1803 before i found out that there were no pre-outs. I'm now considering buying a better receiver w/ better internal amps, or buying the Pioneer D912S when it is released for use as a pre-pro. The D912S intrigues me because it seems to be essentially a D811S (which i had and really liked) with the addition of Auto-MCACC like on the 45TX and 49TX.

3. RobertHO

RobertHO Extra

I just got a pair of Paradigm Studio 40's and hooked them up to my Onkyo 595; They sound pretty good but the 40's could definetly use more power.

I would really like to pair the 40's with a seperate 2 channel amp. Darn it, I knew skimping on a receiver without pre outs would come back to bite me...

4. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

What about using the audio RCA's L/R out from the back of the dvd player into an amp to power the fronts and having the dvd digital out go to the receiver to handle the rest of the channels and the sub??

just another thing i was thinking about

jay

5. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

6. Jassen M. West

i was thinking about the idea i posted and it probably wouldn't work not only because of the whole Bitstream/analog thing but possibly because of tracks in DTS.
    After doing some more reasearch though i did find that there are Line Output Converters from what i gather they take the speaker wire that comes from the back of the receiver and tranforms them into pre-outs. I am looking into this more though.

jay

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

8. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

Virtually any car stereo store, (and I am sure at www.crutchfield.com) sells High-Low converters designed specifically to convert speaker level signals to line level.

These will work fine for your purpose.

Jeff Hipps

9. RobertHO

RobertHO Extra

Jeff, thanks for the info,

Okay, if I would use such a converter, would it compromise the sound in any way?

10. Jassen M. West

11. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator