What's new

Is it possible to use a dts dvd without an av receiver (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
At this point, all I have is a jvc sa70bk dvd player hooked directly to my tv. Is it possible to achieve sound from a dts dvd in this setup or is it necessary to have a av receiver?

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Achieve sound? Yes.
Achieve DTS sound? No.
And while it's not necessary to have a receiver to get DTS, if you don't, you'd have to have a DVD player that decoded DTS internally.
And 5.1 speakers. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most TVs do not have a digital audio input which would be required for DTS sound. With player that has internal decoding, the TV will still lack 5.1 inputs to take the multiple channels, as well as (as mentioned) the fact that all the speakers are not present in a TV.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
So I can watch/hear this dvd, even though it will just be stero sound via the tv speakers........correct?

Martin G

Second Unit
You can still watch the DVD, just not in DTS. The DTS "sound" will be like loud static if you are not playing it through a proper decoder.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Yes, you can hear the DVD. You just won't be able to listen to the DTS track. You'll need to listen to the DD track or whatever other options are given you.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are a few discs that are DTS ONLY (many or all are now out of print). I am not 100% sure you would be able to listen to these discs via the setup mentioned. Any other disc that has both DD and DTS should give you no problem.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I was afraid I had misspoken when I said you could just select the DD track if you couldn't decode the DTS track, but according to the DVD FAQ, I was right. Cool!
Dolby Digital or PCM audio are required on 525/60 (NTSC) discs, and since both PCM and DTS together don't usually leave enough room for quality video encoding of a full-length movie, essentially every disc with a DTS soundtrack also carries a Dolby Digital soundtrack. This means that all DTS discs will work in all DVD players, but a DTS-compatible player and a DTS decoder are required to play the DTS soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks