Is it possible to transplant the driver and amp in an underachieving sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Alexander, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I have a Sound Dynamics ASUB-12 that I am not using. Can I swap out the driver and amp to enhance its capabilities? If so, what driver and amp? The Sound Dynamics sub has a 12-inch driver and a 90-watt amp. Also, can you think of any advantages/disadvantages to doing this?
    Here are some potential replacement items: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-794&DID=7 and this... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=295-400&Did=7
    Let me know what you think. Thanks.
    ------------------
    "What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.
    [Edited last by Kevin Alexander on September 18, 2001 at 03:58 PM]

2. KevinMcL

KevinMcL Agent

Well, supposing your existing box is of suitable size and build for a powerful sub, for $275, you can't really go wrong. One thought: If you believe the existing sub and amp are sub-par, why do you think the box they are mounted in is any better? If your enclosure is a touch over-sized, I would definitely make sure there is enough bracing to prevent flex from that nice Titanic sub. I'd also shoot some sound-damping (undercoating) spray in there as a precautionary measure.
    Good luck, and let us know which route you decide to take!

3. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Like computers, it is almost never worth replacing the parts, since everything is only as good as the weakest link. No doubt the box is as bad as the driver and amplifier. Your best bet is to just take the plunge and build a DIY sub. You have all the guidance and help you need here. Once you go DIY, you'll never buy another sub again.
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform

4. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Thanks guys.
    ------------------
    "What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.